There are 180 users in the forums

Left Tackle Watch List

Staley needing to leave game 3 was a somber reminder that we will need to think about his retirement soon. There's FA and the idea of moving Trenton Brown to the other side, but who are some people to watch for the draft? For me:

Sure fit: Connor Williams, RD 1. His pro comp? Joe Staley.

Developmental starter: Martez Ivey, RD 2. Can start day 1 at LG and develop into the franchise LT when Staley leaves.

Late round gem: Alex Cappa, RD 4-7. Small school, highly athletic technician.

Boom or Bust: Orlando Brown, RD 1. 6'8" 350 lbs, this dude is huge and highly athletic, relative to his size. If his length can make up for any movement limitations, we can have the most fearsome bookend tackle duos. Drooling over the idea of 2 absolutely freakish giants. There will be No shortage of nicknames for the Brown Brothers

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/NotreDame_logo.gif

Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
Height: 6-7. Weight: 310.
Projected 40 Time: 5.30.
Projected Round (2018): Top-25.
7/17/17: McGlinchey could have been the closest thing to a franchise left tackle in the 2017 NFL Draft, but he decided to return for his senior year. McGlinchey wouldn't have been one of the best tackle prospects to come out in years, but he was a very good prospect with upside to be an impactful left tackle.

McGlinchey was very impressive at left tackle for the Fighting Irish in 2016, and one wouldn't have thought that he wasn't playing the position in previous seasons. As a run blocker, McGlinchey can get movement at the point of attack. He flashes heavy hands to push defenders out of their gaps and open holes for his back. In pass protection, McGlinchey looks like a natural at left tackle, showing excellent feet to get depth in his kick slide and cut off speed rushers. He also displays a nice ability to bend at the knee, and that in combination with his feet, keeps him from having to reach after edge rushers. The one consistent problem for McGlinchey is a lot of false start penalties. His 2016 performance suggests that he is a future starting left tackle for the NFL and a first-round pick.

McGlinchey broke into starting lineup during his sophomore year, putting together an impressive season as a pass protector at right tackle. He showed nice athleticism and the strength to open holes in the ground game.

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Texas_logo.gif

Connor Williams*, OT, Texas
Height: 6-6. Weight: 290.
Projected 40 Time: 5.10.
Projected Round (2018): 1-2.
7/17/17: Williams broke into the starting lineup at left tackle as a freshman for the Longhorns in 2015 and locked down the position. He improved as a sophomore as HE was a steady pass protector and consistent run blocker. Williams has good length, quickness and athleticism. It would be good to see him become stronger and show more heavy hands as a junior.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OT.php#MS208O2mDlxgdFXk.99
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Aug 31, 2017 at 8:53 PM ]
Geron Christian out of Louisville is a kid to look out for..
[ Edited by jersey49er on Aug 31, 2017 at 11:18 PM ]
You think we're going to switch Trent to LT when Staley retires?

I'm going to miss Staley. I was in middle school when he was drafted, so i grew up with him.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
You think we're going to switch Trent to LT when Staley retires?

I'm going to miss Staley. I was in middle school when he was drafted, so i grew up with him.

I don't think so, nor do I think they should, but he did fill in on the left side admirably when asked to last season
Connor Williams is a stud. Would love to have him.
Conner Williams for me
Share 49ersWebzone