LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 329 users in the forums

DB Watch List

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Jaire Alexander is my draft crush at corner if we go the CB route. I prefer shorter corners and think tall corners are always overrated every year (a few exceptions). He has great burst and seems to have a good football IQ.

I tend to agree, but I understand why these "Seattle-style defenses" prefer tall CBs. The CBs in these defenses only play on a vertical plane, so being tall, long and physical is advantageous when jamming, stacking and squeezing wide receivers. They don't need as much lateral agility or hip fluidity because they only play on a Y-axis. A lot of open field tackling in this defense, too.

Great points I just look at corners ability to stay in the pocket of a receiver. If we are running cover 1 primarily then I don't see why we wouldn't want someone who can be put in man to man and hold them to minimal target/receptions. Alexander handled both the Clemson receivers last year it almost seemed like he was toying with Watson. If we were to run a cover 3 D which Seattle doesn't run as much but they made it popular I would say yes. But from what I've seen is lots of man coverage and a complete reliance on the FS being a stud. Like Seattle FS is imperative and if Ward can't perform then Derwin all f**king day.

He's looking good again today. He just threw a WR to the ground, oops
Derwin James is not a single high safety
It's crazy how fsu have damn good dbs over the last couple of years.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

I was thinking that about Washington while I watched them last night..
Originally posted by jersey49er:

Oh yeah them too.

Oh yeah them too.

Yup Washington, LSU and FSU always have great DBs..
Iowa redshirt junior CB Josh Jackson has "next level size" and "next level ball skills," writes Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline.

Another one to keep an eye on
Which cornerbacks entering the draft are a good fit for this defense? And where do you see us targeting one?

Are there possible free agents options?

Discuss.
My top 2 corners are Jaire Alexander and Kevin Toliver. Not really looking at fit just as far as coverage and discipline those are my favorites.
I hate evaluating cornerbacks without an all-22, but here are some of the essential attributes Lynch will look for:

-Tall (6+ ft) & long
-Good punch/Jam technique
-Shuffle-step and bail technique
-Experience playing with eyes on quarterback(Zone defense)
-Open field tackler

You guys can have fun with the rest.

Originally posted by Heroism:
I hate evaluating cornerbacks without an all-22, but here are some of the essential attributes Lynch will look for:

-Tall (6+ ft) & long
-Good punch/Jam technique
-Shuffle-step and bail technique
-Experience playing with eyes on quarterback(Zone defense)
-Open field tackler

You guys can have fun with the rest.

That's why I doubt either of my CBs will be picks. We will draft another tall corner with s**t change of direction speed. With a horrible issue with watching the QB to long and losing receivers. And as the NFL continues to have shorter shift receivers become the trend these tall corners will become obsolete.
I think we have enough young talent already on the team to compete for #2. I'm officially on the Trumaine Johnson bandwagon. Minkah Fitzpatrick is my favorite DB in the draft at this moment, tho id put him at FS, and I admittedly have not paid much attention to CB at all this far.
Adonis Alexander, Kevin Toliver, Alijah Holder all over 6 ft with great speed, Alexander looks to be a great player, great ball skills, long, tall, fast, also tackles willingly and great..

Another one of my favorites is only 5'10 190lbs and plays on the outside, Deatrick Nicols out of USF, kid is tough and can play..reminds me of Jason Verrett,.
[ Edited by jersey49er on Oct 4, 2017 at 3:23 AM ]

Oh yeah them too.

there coaching is legit
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Adonis Alexander, Kevin Toliver, Alijah Holder all over 6 ft with great speed, Alexander looks to be a great player, great ball skills, long, tall, fast, also tackles willingly and great..

Another one of my favorites is only 5'10 190lbs and plays on the outside, Deatrick Nicols out of USF, kid is tough and can play..reminds me of Brent Grimes..

I would love Adonis Alexander but I don't think Lynch/Shanahan draft him with his marijuana arrest.

It's all about Tarvarus McFadden!!!
Share 49ersWebzone