LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

2018 Pass Rushers

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Would you care to explain why? I'm not being a jerk (this time); I'm genuinely interested in your explanation.

I want to like him, but I see a super raw kid w/good length and power who misses a lot of opportunities. His hand technique is all over the place and he lacks effective counters. His pad level can be horrible. His getoff is inconsistent. He has a lot of physical tools, but I don't see how he'd help us much in 2018. Maybe he's been receiving garbage coaching and he shows that he can acquire and implement better technique in a hurry, but he makes me nervous as a day 2 pick.

HEY! NY!!!!

ANSWER MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

lol sorry sorry....love his size/length and speed off the edge. On 199 pass rush snaps he's generated 43 pressures which only trails Chubb/Bosa. He also was top 15 the yr prior.

even when he doesn't get to the QB he's got the length to bat down passes

https://streamable.com/g2ygj

love how he explodes off the OT https://streamable.com/019el

I agree he's not a finished product but there's a lot to work with...also because of the level on comp he might there end of the 2nd early 3rd.

overall I don't think there's any elite edge guys in this draft class. I'd rather find a diamond in the rough guy and coach him up (Yannick Ngakoue style) vs spend a top end pick on someone.

I agree here. I'll look at Davenport some more, just because I respect your opinion. I see a guy who might never have football instincts (he seems to hesitate whenever he needs to redirect). We'll see. If the 49ers draft him, I hope he takes to the coaching/mentoring and develops more effective and more habitual technique. I haven't seen him looking particularly explosive in his acceleration to the QB after disengaging from the QB, but I haven't seen a ton of his stuff. I look for that. That was easily my favorite attribute that Aldon Smith brought to the defense.
I agree here. I'll look at Davenport some more, just because I respect your opinion. I see a guy who might never have football instincts (he seems to hesitate whenever he needs to redirect). We'll see. If the 49ers draft him, I hope he takes to the coaching/mentoring and develops more effective and more habitual technique. I haven't seen him looking particularly explosive in his acceleration to the QB after disengaging from the QB, but I haven't seen a ton of his stuff. I look for that. That was easily my favorite attribute that Aldon Smith brought to the defense.

Yeah he's far from a finished product, which is one of the reasons he's not a top 50 pick (and lack of comp). Like I said love the size/length and motor. He also graded out well vs the run.

Sucks cause there's no true monster edge rusher in this draft. Chubb is the top guy, I just can't see us spending another 1st on DL.

Who you liking? I'm not in total draft mode yet lol, so I'm sure I'll change my opinion on prospects when I get a chance to do more homework

He does show some good instincts and football IQ at times, and takes good angles. Pretty good at bending and flattening around the edge for a man his size, and of course length can't be coached.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Dec 15, 2017 at 6:42 PM ]

Yeah he's far from a finished product, which is one of the reasons he's not a top 50 pick (and lack of comp). Like I said love the size/length and motor. He also graded out well vs the run.

Sucks cause there's no true monster edge rusher in this draft. Chubb is the top guy, I just can't see us spending another 1st on DL.

Who you liking? I'm not in total draft mode yet lol, so I'm sure I'll change my opinion on prospects when I get a chance to do more homework

Honestly, this year I've been on the day 2 or later SAMs who can rush on passing downs. I like Holland for his hand technique, and Haynes for his get off and athleticism, and the kid from BAMA (name just slipped my mind) could be a beast in that role, but I need to see more of him. So far I've only seen him use a dip/rip and an outside spin. I hate outside spins, but he won w/it, sooooo...
Honestly, this year I've been on the day 2 or later SAMs who can rush on passing downs. I like Holland for his hand technique, and Haynes for his get off and athleticism, and the kid from BAMA (name just slipped my mind) could be a beast in that role, but I need to see more of him. So far I've only seen him use a dip/rip and an outside spin. I hate outside spins, but he won w/it, sooooo...

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo is another good day 2 pick

I'm a big fan of both those guys as well. lorenzo carter Is another one to keep an eye on
Clelin Ferrell from Clemson seems to be a little under the radar. Amazing get off
Ferell is an excellent player, but his good get off is primarily attributed to snap jumping. Dude is an egregious snap jumper.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Ferell is an excellent player, but his good get off is primarily attributed to snap jumping. Dude is an egregious snap jumper.

Haven't heard much about him, Where do you think he'll get selected and where would he fit with us?
Originally posted by DJamhour:
Haven't heard much about him, Where do you think he'll get selected and where would he fit with us?

Mid to late 1st. Will be a 4-3 DE.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Dec 15, 2017 at 10:41 PM ]

Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo is another good day 2 pick

Looks like he has great arm length for his height (like a Dumervil build). I don't like his inside counters at all, but I like his motor and his effort against the run. I'd say late day 2 or first thing day 3 for me, if they haven't already snagged someone else.

I'm a big fan of both those guys as well. lorenzo carter Is another one to keep an eye on

I like Carter. Great length, great bend/balance, great play vs. the run. He had a really good game against ND, and even out-leveraged Nelson (sacrilege on the WZ, I know) on a couple plays. My concern w/him is that most of his big plays as an edge rusher involve him being completely unblocked. I can't see that happening as much in the NFL.

The guy whose name I forgot was Rashaan Evans (I didn't end up remembering it; I had to look him up again ). I like him more at SAM on base downs, until he develops his rush. I'm afraid he could go late 1st/early 2nd to play ILB for someone, and I don't know if I'd take him that soon. I'd rather take him w/a 2 than Roquan Smith w/a 1, though.
Nice.

Originally posted by Heroism:
Nice.

This senior bowl has a great list of prospects wish we could coach it but its looking unlikely now
I like Clelin Ferrell I think he could be a nice every down player with some pass rush. The guy I really like is Jeff Holland as a pass rusher bring him in the passing downs. There is something about Holland that works. He is not the biggest or the strongest. Don't draft ether of these guy with the 4th pick.
Share 49ersWebzone