LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Jake Browning

Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
Originally posted by sacniner:
For a drastic increase in atm strength (velocity), look to Aaron Rodgers. His jump in arm strength from college to NFL was insane

Yeah what happened there??? Was it needle time once he got to the pros? I don't know but his improvement in arm strength was definitely drastic.

No clue, but damn was it amazing.
Originally posted by The411:
For a drastic increase in atm strength (velocity), look to Aaron Rodgers. His jump in arm strength from college to NFL was insane

Had little to do with his arm strength and all to do with mechanics. As for Browning, mechanics cannot fix a weak arm.

You may be right. Although, I think professional coaches may be able to work with him. I hope so. As I said, I am biased and am pulling for Browning. If his arm strength doesn't improve, I know he'll struggle in the NFL.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Poor man TY DETMER

Agreed. Not big enough.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
A lot is being made of Jake Browning's noodle arm, but I'm actually higher on him than most prognosticators I don't think his arm is as bad as people say. And arm strength is something that you can actually improve with weight training (although you have to be careful not to over-do it and get injured).

Yeah and if I work really hard at the 100M I can eventually take on Usain Bolt.

Arm strength can definitely be improved, through training, gaining weight, proper mechanics but if you dont have the right genetic jigsaw pieces you're never finishing that puzzle.

Colt McCoy could do squats, cleans and bench all day, erryday and his arm will still be subpar. Thats just how these things go.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 12, 2017 at 9:24 AM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/186825-jake-browning-qb-washington/search=Jake%20browning
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
A lot is being made of Jake Browning's noodle arm, but I'm actually higher on him than most prognosticators I don't think his arm is as bad as people say. And arm strength is something that you can actually improve with weight training (although you have to be careful not to over-do it and get injured).

Arm strength can definitely be improved, through training, gaining weight, proper mechanics but if you dont have the right genetic jigsaw pieces you're never finishing that puzzle.

Colt McCoy could do squats, cleans and bench all day, erryday and his arm will still be subpar. Thats just how these things go.

This - drafting a QB and hoping you can improve his arm strength is like drafting a WR and hoping you can improve his speed.

Browning's arm is not even close to Rodgers' arm in college and Rodgers is one of those rare exceptions who has shown improvement in arm strength (albeit not close to as much improvement as some people on here are suggesting). He was able to throw the ball 70 yards in college. He always had a strong arm. At best, Browning may develop a below average NFL arm, but I'm not betting on it.

Rodgers throwing ~70 yards (didn't land on target though) in the 2005 College All Star Challenge:
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on May 12, 2017 at 7:27 PM ]

Hyperbole much? Arm strength can improve from the age of 21 to the age of 25. And arm strength is a LOT easier to improve than speed. But I'm not saying the guy's gonna turn into Ben Roethlisberger; I'm saying that his arm isn't as bad as people say it is. And I think it can get a little better with time.

That said, the guy's always gonna have a weak arm for NFL standards. If he can't throw harder than Alex Smith, I wouldn't touch him (unless you're looking for a backup).
[ Edited by NinerSickness on May 15, 2017 at 9:51 PM ]
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

This - drafting a QB and hoping you can improve his arm strength is like drafting a WR and hoping you can improve his speed.

Browning's arm is not even close to Rodgers' arm in college and Rodgers is one of those rare exceptions who has shown improvement in arm strength (albeit not close to as much improvement as some people on here are suggesting). He was able to throw the ball 70 yards in college. He always had a strong arm. At best, Browning may develop a below average NFL arm, but I'm not betting on it.

Rodgers throwing ~70 yards (didn't land on target though) in the 2005 College All Star Challenge:

Yeah, Rodgers always had the arm strength. Mechanics can improve arm strength when the conditions are all good to throw. It won't improve arm strength when having to throw from non-ideal situations...which is the NFL in a nutshell...unless you are Tom Brady because the dude gets nice pockets and sucks when he doesn't.
Legendary second half performance from Jake the snake Browning. Y'all continue to hate. Kid got lit up, came back and domainted. Continue to hang in the pocket taking hits and hitting his guys. Wow. #tankforbrowning
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Legendary second half performance from Jake the snake Browning. Y'all continue to hate. Kid got lit up, came back and domainted. Continue to hang in the pocket taking hits and hitting his guys. Wow. #tankforbrowning

17/30 against Rutgers, a team that was 2-10 last year. He still has no arm strength and his stats this year are going to slide a bit now that he doesn't have John Ross.

Tank for Browning is an absurd hashtag because he won't be picked in the first 3 rounds. No one tanks for 6'1 QBs with weak arms.
  • titan
  • Veteran
^ maybe first game jitters?!
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Serious weenie arm
You guys didn't watch the game. Relax. QB Gurus here
Share 49ersWebzone