LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Mason Cole C Michigan

Love this guy. Taller C (6'5), but he plays very low & has a strong upper body & great hand usage. Held his own against some great DLs. Great at snapping the ball & quickly standing up his opponent. Want.

Most solid and safe interior lineman in next years class
[ Edited by Dman11 on May 8, 2017 at 2:08 PM ]
Experience at left tackle. Quick feet, in sync with hands. Good technique. can get to the second level. This is the Center of the future for the niners, I can smell it.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Experience at left tackle. Quick feet, in sync with hands. Good technique. can get to the second level. This is the Center of the future for the niners, I can smell it.

After Jed goes out to dinner with Jim I'm sure Mason will hear nothing but good things
Oh boy, I really like this guys play and use of hands and strength at impact.. seems to be a monster and high motor every play. Watched his tape against Wisconsin.

What i really enjoy about this guy is his versatility along the line. I see his play probably translating more to interior line men, but I could see him being a possible swing tackle at the NFL level.

Should be fun to see where he plays this year.
I mistakenly assumed that Wu started this thread.

How does Cole compare to Michigan great David Baas?
Love seeing this type of stuff out of college OL.

Originally posted by Heroism:
Love seeing this type of stuff out of college OL.

How does he compare to Young Magnus?
Originally posted by zonkers:
I mistakenly assumed that Wu started this thread.

How does Cole compare to Michigan great David Baas?

If Wu made this thread, it would be 40 pages long and he'd be responsible for 30 of them.

For a player who has only 2 pass deflections, no interceptions, and no forced fumbles this year 😆
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
How does he compare to Young Magnus?

Mason is a better player and probably the better athlete. Dude is gritty and an ironman, which was an essential quality to Mike Shanahan when evaluating OL. He coveted OL who were durable and available because of how important cohesiveness is in this scheme. I'm sure it's something Kyle puts a premium on as well.

Both Mason and Erik project as interior OL, so you could plug one next to the other. I don't think Mason will go undrafted as Erik did, but you never know. He's been flying under the radar this year. I like that UM OL have a giant advantage on most other programs in technique because they're already executing NFL plays.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 24, 2017 at 4:45 PM ]

If the Niners don't take Q. Nelson early, Cole would be a great option in the 2nd round. Experienced, versatile OL who could start right away.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
If the Niners don't take Q. Nelson early, Cole would be a great option in the 2nd round. Experienced, versatile OL who could start right away.

2nd round would be too early for him IMO. Great college lineman without any truly elite traits. I think he'll be a very solid player wherever he goes but not a guy who wows you

As far as playing guard, he wouldn't one of my top choices in a draft loaded with high quality guards.
Mason Cole is a 3rd Or 4th round center. He'll never be the top center in the league but will be an above average starter for 7+ years. Im not at all opposed to drafting him if we don't get a stud in FA
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Nov 25, 2017 at 1:52 PM ]
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Mason Cole is a 3rd Or 4th round center. He'll never be the top center in the league but will be an above average starter for 7+ years. Im not at all opposed to drafting him if we don't get a stud in FA

If for whatever reason they can't get a veteran center in FA than Cole would be one of the top choices to step in and hold down center as a rookie. Playing any position on the OL isn't easy for a rookie and center comes with a lot more responsibilities on top of that. You could do a lot worse than to go with a guy coming out of a pro style offense who is an experienced college starter at several positions. I wouldn't mind Cole in the 3rd to 4th rounds.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

2nd round would be too early for him IMO. Great college lineman without any truly elite traits. I think he'll be a very solid player wherever he goes but not a guy who wows you

As far as playing guard, he wouldn't one of my top choices in a draft loaded with high quality guards.

I see your point. I know Cole is definitely not athletic enough to play OT in the NFL, but he would be a good, later round investment as a C/OG swingman. What are your thoughts on Ragnow from Arkansas or B. Price from Ohio St. in the 2nd or 3rd round?
Share 49ersWebzone