LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 307 users in the forums

RB Kalen Ballage, ASU

Well, each year I'll pick one guy to pump up from ASU, this year its Kalen Ballage! I believe this is Hyde's contract year? If so we will probably want another RB to bring in

6'3 220lbs, reportedly 4.4 speed but I'd probably put it more at 4.45.

Strengths: He has great straight line speed, great vision, can run with power, can receive

Weaknesses: You'd like to see more fluid hips but he is 6'3 after all, doesn't always run with great power, inconsistent, durability (never been asked to carry the full load, I think it gets worn down during the season)

Comparison: Matt Forte

Edit: And he is probably the best RB I've seen at Wildcat in a long time. See the Texas Tech game. He is just unstoppable out of Wildcat with reading his blocks.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on May 2, 2017 at 9:58 AM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I think he's more Blount than Bell -- but we will see. If he can run in the 4.4s he will be coveted.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
He's got an awesome name
Generational
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Generational

Again lol.
I'm curious if he ends as a H-back type in the NFL.
Originally posted by okdkid:
I think he's more Blount than Bell -- but we will see. If he can run in the 4.4s he will be coveted.

Ballage is the fastest player on ASU's roster

https://www.houseofsparky.com/2017/7/12/15962052/asu-football-kalen-ballage-runs-23-3-mph-at-practice

And here is NFL.com's blurb on his athleticism:

"The Sun Devils' senior should turn plenty of heads at next year's NFL Scouting Combine. At 6-foot-3 and nearly 230 pounds, he's recorded a 37-inch vertical jump and a broad jump just a shade under 10 feet. He can squat 513 pounds, and his 20-yard shuttle time (4.03) is more like that of a cornerback than a power rusher. Last year against Texas Tech, on a 75-yard touchdown run that was one of his NCAA record-tying eight scores on the day, Arizona State's GPS technology clocked him at 21.6 mph. He's also known for having a bone-crushing handshake around the ASU football building."

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000817998

Originally posted by zonkers:

Possible
Originally posted by zonkers:

Ballage hasn't impressed me much this year. I think his future will be as a H-Back rather than a RB. He is a good receiver out of the backfield, sufficient size to do well in the NFL, and great break away speed.

My problem with him is he has awful balance. I've seen way too many arm tackles this year trip him up or bring him down. He has not run "tough." I'd consider him a late-rounder at this point.

The guy that is impressing me is RB Demario Richard, who looks like a 3rd-5th rounder. He cut down his weight this year and holy crap what a difference that made. Last yeah he was probably 5-10 225, right now he is probably 5-10 215lbs and looks fantastic. He is a power runner but one thing that has really stood out is excellent vision and ability to "get small" to utilize minimal gaps created by a struggling offensive line. Constantly picking up extra yards. I thought Demario wasn't a draft prospect after a pretty mediocre Junior year, but now I think he is a gem. Amazing what can happen a player re-tools his body. No YouTube video I'm aware for Demario this year.

As far as comparison for Demario, I'd say Kareem Hunt is an example.
Ballage 40 accurately predicted

Still not sold on his nfl future. He did not play well as a senior, so confusing
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

Welppppp

TThis guy is just a good athlete but not a good football player. Dont want him at all. Plays like hes actually under 200 lbs.

high bust potential
Originally posted by Dillesq:
TThis guy is just a good athlete but not a good football player. Dont want him at all. Plays like hes actually under 200 lbs.

high bust potential

Agree.

Richard is a good football player but not an athlete. Ballage is the opposite. Need them to become 1 person

I see him as another Kniles Davis
Favorite RB in the draft not named Saquon Barkley. Always thought that he would flat put ball hard on the 49ers team in this Shanahan system.
Bobby Turner would love to get his hands on a guy like this too. Some much raw talent just waiting to be unleashed. Can easily see him being the guy slitting time with Breida and Joe Williams next season.
Share 49ersWebzone