LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 344 users in the forums

Arden Key-DE/OLB-LSU

Bradley Chubb or Colin Ferrell from Clemson would be my first 2 choices
The kid is going to be drafted too early. Gives you absolutely nothing in run support. Completely dominated by running backs and tight ends.

He has a really special burst around the end, which makes him an attractive one-trick pony. But, the game is simply not well-rounded enough for me. Tack on injury concerns, and he needs to impress this off-season because I just don't see it from his 2017 game film.
It seems like a mismatch... everyone on here has a bad opinion of him, but he's widely considered a top-10 talent from every draft website I've seen. And he happens to have an elite skill (pass rush) that we are in need of. I feel like Barkevious Mingo is dragging down Key.

But maybe I'm wrong...
Key is too light in the ass to hold the point of attack.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
It seems like a mismatch... everyone on here has a bad opinion of him, but he's widely considered a top-10 talent from every draft website I've seen. And he happens to have an elite skill (pass rush) that we are in need of. I feel like Barkevious Mingo is dragging down Key.

But maybe I'm wrong...

Most of what you're reading is based off of last year's film and hypothetical development. Once the draft pundits start digging deeper into this year's film and off fi3ld concerns, his stock will fall.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Dec 22, 2017 at 12:43 PM ]
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

But maybe I'm wrong...

Most of what you're reading is based off of last year's film and hypothetical development. Once the draft pundits start digging deeper into this year's film and off fi3ld concerns, his stock will fall.

I guess we'll see. But I think there could also be a little anti-Arden Key bias being circulated here. Only time will tell. But at his size (6'6") and his quickness and bend, the dude will be a top draft pick. And he appears to have the one thing we're desperately missing: elite pass rush. We have a bevy of good run stoppers now, but none of our guys are quick like Key.

If we're drafting 5-8 range, I wouldn't mind it if it were him. There are several players I'd want more (Chubb, Nelson, Ridley, Sutton, and maybe Fitzpatrick if he really is a CB)
Perfect fit at OLB in our old system....
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

But maybe I'm wrong...

I guess we'll see. But I think there could also be a little anti-Arden Key bias being circulated here. Only time will tell. But at his size (6'6") and his quickness and bend, the dude will be a top draft pick. And he appears to have the one thing we're desperately missing: elite pass rush. We have a bevy of good run stoppers now, but none of our guys are quick like Key.

If we're drafting 5-8 range, I wouldn't mind it if it were him. There are several players I'd want more (Chubb, Nelson, Ridley, Sutton, and maybe Fitzpatrick if he really is a CB)

I remember when SEA took Bruce Irvin everyone was ripping them too as far as Irvin being a one trick pony and was over drafted.
1. Arden Key*, DE, LSU
Height: 6-5. Weight: 260.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Projected Round (2018): Top-10.
12/16/17: Team sources still have Key as high first-rounder and think he could be a devastating pass-rusher in the NFL. In a survey of league sources, Key was considered to be among the elite talents of this draft class.

Key had a slow start to the season. He missed two games and then had to work himself back into playing shape after shoulder surgery limited his offseason training. Midway through the year, Key started to return to being the dynamic speed rusher off the edge. A late-season knee injury also knocked him out of a few games. In 2017, Key has 33 tackles with four sacks and a forced fumble. He put together impressive games against Mississippi State, Auburn and Florida. Key made a sack to clinch the comeback win over Auburn. He was phenomenal against Alabama, and the Crimson Tide couldn't block him.

Sources tell me there are some off-the-field concerns with Key, which could push him lower. While there are concerns, scouts also say that Key loves football and has worked on his own with pass-rushing guru Chuck Smith to develop his skills. The team interviews are going to be important for Key.

9/1/17: Key was one of the best players in college football in 2016. He recorded 56 tackles with 14.5 for a loss, 12 sacks, three forced fumbles and three passes broken up on the year. He flashed a ton of potential as a freshman for LSU, totaling 41 tackles with 6.5 for a loss, five sacks and one pass broken up. Key is a dangerous pass-rusher with excellent speed and the ability to bend around the corner. He is lightning fast off the edge and has a ton of upside to develop."

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018DE.php#ixzz5264IOFWK
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018DE.php#MXRfXQZipzAErwt0.99
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Dec 23, 2017 at 7:06 AM ]
With our win, I think Key becomes a very likely draft candidate.

I feel pretty confident that Lynch would draft Landry over Key if he were to take an edge rusher(excluding Chubb since we're likely out of range for him now).
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 25, 2017 at 2:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:

I feel pretty confident that Lynch would draft Landry over Key if he were to take an edge rusher(excluding Chubb since we're likely out of range for him now).

Landry and Key are prime candidates currently, but the draft process hasn't really started yet. Key could dominate the Underwear Olympics... we'll see...
I want no part of Key in the first. Guy screams bust potential to me. Much rather go Landry if we're going LEO in the first.
Originally posted by genus49:
I want no part of Key in the first. Guy screams bust potential to me. Much rather go Landry if we're going LEO in the first.

This!!!!, Landy is the only Edge guy I want in the 1st, even then I'm feeling more inclined to look at Roquan Smith and get a guy like Hayes later at Edge.
Originally posted by irishluder:
This!!!!, Landy is the only Edge guy I want in the 1st, even then I'm feeling more inclined to look at Roquan Smith and get a guy like Hayes later at Edge.

Chubb will most likely be gone but him or Landry are the two guys I'd look for LEO in the first. That's probably it.
Share 49ersWebzone