LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 432 users in the forums

Arden Key-DE/OLB-LSU

Lock this thread up.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Arden Key: Key took time away from the LSU program in the spring before returning 40 pounds heavier. He then promptly suffered a shoulder injury that cost him the start of the season. Key came back to the field and looked dominant, but he is out again with a knee injury. Rumors from area scouts have persisted all season that Key left the team to attend rehab. His off-field and injury history could push a once-top-10 talent way down the board.

Thanks for the post. I had not heard the speculation about him possibly attending rehab. That's something for our scouts to dig into.
If they feel comfortable about where he's at, taking him late 1st round isn't out of the question.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Arden key has to be our pick. Third times a charm on character concern players.

Baalkelogic lol
Really interested in seeing how this guy tests at the Combine. Character questions aside, the pool of quality edge rushers is pretty small. If he fell to pick #59, he would have to be a consideration.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Wouldn't be surprised if he's the pick and the Webzone melts down.

We can possibly have our cake and eat it too if we trade down and get a 2nd round pick that ends up being first round worthy. You cover the risk. I think this dude on 3rd downs will bring it. Just my gut... He sounds like he had some college Clowney in him

Taking two pass rushers? I'm beginning to think that might be the key - with regards to character issues. Get a gold helmet pass rusher with the first pick, and get a high risk character pass rusher with your next pick or maybe with your middle round pick. Kyle did that on the QB position with the redskins - he got RG3 and Kirk Cousins. Maybe that's what we need to do to guarantee we have a pass rusher from the 2018 draft. Specially with a guy like Arden Key.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Taking two pass rushers? I'm beginning to think that might be the key - with regards to character issues. Get a gold helmet pass rusher with the first pick, and get a high risk character pass rusher with your next pick or maybe with your middle round pick. Kyle did that on the QB position with the redskins - he got RG3 and Kirk Cousins. Maybe that's what we need to do to guarantee we have a pass rusher from the 2018 draft. Specially with a guy like Arden Key.

Landry and OO would make me
If we end up passing on Landry/Davenport in the 1st (i.e. going with Edmunds/Smith/Nelson), then I could see him in play at #59.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
If we end up passing on Landry/Davenport in the 1st (i.e. going with Edmunds/Smith/Nelson), then I could see him in play at #59.

He'd be worth the risk there if he was available but boy would the pick make me pucker my a$$hole for a long time....
He ends up getting picked in the 5th.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Originally posted by Giedi:

Landry and OO would make me

Typical LSU guy. Looks the part but not a good football player with a lot of ? He will fall into the 3rd or 4th rd and will either be a total bust or end up being a steal if he goes to the right coaching staff/team like New England or Pittsburgh...
Want no part of this guy unless it is 3rd round or later. After Foster the Niners cannot afford to draft another player in the first couple of rounds with character issues.
Arden Key up next in my pass rusher cut ups.

Practically every game Key looks like an absolute superstar, he is like a mixture of Chubb & Landry, he has bend, burst, moves, hands and instincts, he even has hustle.

However he is so inconsistent with all these things (especially hustle), I don't know what it is, he'll go through practically a whole game looking like a scrub, and then boom, superstar.

I can't even say that it's conditioning as these things show up at all times in games in all situations.

My only conclusion is passion, I just think there are times in the game when he can't be bothered to be there.

He scares the heck out of me and I don't think he'd be on my board. Potentially he is up there with Chubb, but something is definitely wrong.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Apr 3, 2018 at 2:37 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Arden Key up next in my pass rusher cut ups.

Practically every game Key looks like an absolute superstar, he is like a mixture of Chubb & Landry, he has bend, burst, moves, hands and instincts, he even has hustle.

However he is so inconsistent with all these things (especially hustle), I don't know what it is, he'll go through practically a whole game looking like a scrub, and then boom, superstar.

I can't even say that it's conditioning as these things show up at all times in games in all situations.

My only conclusion is passion, I just think there are times in the game when he can't be bothered to be there.

He scares the heck out of me and I don't think he'd be on my board. Potentially he is up there with Chubb, but something is definitely wrong.

Wouldn't shock me if he went undrafted honestly. Though cuz pass rush is so important someone will roll the dice on him on day 2 or early day 3.
  • napo
  • Veteran
He will fit right in with the "Win with Class" Reuben Foster 49ers.
Share 49ersWebzone