LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

My thoughts on the 2017 draft

Hello all. One of my first posts, but a long time member. Hope you all are doing well. I was surprised and amazed by what our new GM was able to do on day one. We got ourselves a very good DL who can be very versatile for us on the line. We also got the best ILB in the entire draft at 31. Plus we got a 3rd, 4th, and a 2018 3rd before the night was done. I think we call all agree that the first night was great for us. I kinda wished we took Adams instead of Solomon, but hey, still a great player, great day one!

To be honest, at first I did not like what we did with our two 3rd round picks. But I decided to do some research and rethink it. The CB we took has very good speed and size in terms of what we were looking for. The big nack on him is that he doesn't like to tackle too much. Fair point. But I remember that Deion Sanders had a reputation coming out of college too that he was not too big in tackling. And when he was in the NFL, he was not known for his tackling, at all. He was super in coverage, but was maybe average at best at tackling. Now, I'm not saying Witherspoon is Sanders, but what I am saying is that he can improve his tacking (at least a bit) thru good coaching. So, if he ends up being a type of CB that is very average tackler, but a darn good cover corner, then I'm pretty happy with that. In school, college QB's had about a 50% success rate when passing in his direction in 2016. That's pretty good. I think that after some good coaching, we are really going to like this guy. Now, the pick that is getting the post heat: QB Beathard. At first I was pretty pissed we took this kid. But I wanted to put aside my emotions and do some research. First, the kid plays in a pro system which is important. I think every QB in this draft needs to work on certain issues; be it accuracy, foot work, progressions, reads, etc. But with those QBs that come from a spread, before they can focus on improving those areas I just mentioned, they must first learn how to play football from under center; it's footwork, it's feel, etc. That can take lots of time. With this kid, as welll as with Nathen Peterman, you don't have to worry about that as much, and you can right away start to focus on those areas that need work. Beathard did not have super numbers in 2016, but he also had injuries to not just himself, but to his top playmakers as well. In 2015, his numbers were much better. And according to Mike Mayock, in talking to people he knew who went to his pro day, he had an amazing proday and was able to make all the throws a NFL QB needs to make, had good footwork, etc. In addition, when I was looking into the TE we drafted, who came from the name school, watching his highlights, I saw Beathards throws and they were very good. With all that said, and knowing our coach probably knows more about developing a QB better then me, I am actually OK with this pick. He for sure is a project, more so then some other QBs taken in rounds one and two, but all the QBs in this class are projects frankly. I think this kid could develop into a very good back up who is reliable when called upon. And who knows, maybe he can one day be a decent starter.
With Joe Williams, the RB, he has very good speed and decent size. Kinda makes me think of Coleman with the Falcons. Not saying he will become him, but I think our coach knows how to turn mid-level guys in the draft into pretty good players that end up providing some good production. With Hyde having a nack for getting injured, I don't mind getting this kid, along with the kid we traded for from the Broncos a few days back. Sadly I don't think Hyde is our answer at RB and I do see us getting a new RB next offseason. Just my guess.
With the TE Kittle, I really like him. He was a WR in high school and switched to TE in college. Unlike many TEs coming out of college he can actually block too. In his highlights I've seen him make some pretty amazing catches and he has some speed after the catch too. I think he can and will be better then McDonald, who I also don't see staying on the team much longer.
With Taylor the WR, IDK. We really need to get ourselves a WR that is over 6'1, and over 200 lbs soon to better match vs the CBs in our division. But in terms of a slot guy, and a return guy, he might be worth a really good look. He had the most receiving yards for a WR in all of college football last year. No joke, look it up. Over 1800 yards and 12 TDs. Now he did come from a funny pass happy system, but still this kid got hands. With tat said, I think this marks the end of Bruce Ellington as a 49er. And honestly I am ok with that. When our last GM took him over Bryant, I wanted to throw something at the tv, lol. I do hope we keep Smelter one more year as I really like what I saw of him in the last seasonal game vs Steelers. Now that he is PSAT his injury, I just want to see what the kids got during preseason. Anyway, Taylor is interesting.
To keep this short, I'm going to talk about the one other guy that I am happy we drafted, and that is the DT, Jones. He has great size and a great frame, and is scored pretty highly for a sixth round pick. I see him as a Trent Brown of the DL. Brown was a 7th round guy that ended up being a very good backup guy on the OL and ended up being a very decent above average starter o the OL. I see Jones doing the same on the DL and giving us some depth.
And finally, we got now an additional 2nd and 3rd for next year. If we can't land Cousins next year, we have given ourselves some ammo to work with to trade up and get our next big QB. It looks like there are 3 big QBs next year along with some other very good ones as well. Next years QB class is tons better then this years was. I predict we end up with a record that gives us a pick in the 10-14 range. So we will need to package some picks to move up if so. And our awesome GM just gave us some ammo to do it.
All in all I was very surprised and happy how he and coach did with this draft. Did not come off like rookies!
You echoed many of my thoughts as well. I think Taylor was brought in as a preface to showing Ellington the door. I hope he brings some value as a returner because Kerley is solid in the slot and was one of our only FAs our new regime saw fit to retain.

I didn't like the Saints trade in the third. Lots of talent on the board at the time. We probably only moved up 10-15 spots next year.

I'm interested to see what Shanahan can do with Beathard.

I bet Kittle and Williams contribute as rookies. Two super athletic kids who project well to our system.

Pita is another superior athlete who is super raw but probably the only prototypical LEO on the roster. Lynch and Armstead are bigger bodies than what you typically see at the position.

I liked the Witherspoon pick a lot. We have three young, long CBs on the outside now. I think he'll push Johnson for the starting job opposite Robinson.

If Foster is healthy, he's a day 1 starter at WILL. Smith is solid (if somewhat overpaid) veteran depth. Foster will probably be in the conversation for DROY. I'm really high on this kid (that wasn't a diluted urine reference).

Thomas will be a cornerstone player for a decade. Screw the tweener talk. Plays pass and run equally well. Looked unblockabke at times last season. He and Buckner are going to give Olines fits this year. A+ character kind of guy too, FWIW.
Well, I think the only reason we made that trade with the Saints is to build up picks so we can move up draft board in order to get our QB. I know we will probably go after Cousins, but I am thinking that Lynch doesnt want to put all his eggs in a basket that is controlled by Washington. With now 2 2nds, and 2 3rds, in addition to what I think will be a mid-first (based on our record), we should have the ability to move up if we need to.
Originally posted by SanFranDan21:
Well, I think the only reason we made that trade with the Saints is to build up picks so we can move up draft board in order to get our QB. I know we will probably go after Cousins, but I am thinking that Lynch doesnt want to put all his eggs in a basket that is controlled by Washington. With now 2 2nds, and 2 3rds, in addition to what I think will be a mid-first (based on our record), we should have the ability to move up if we need to.

Exactly my thought. We're building draft capital next year to land a FQB. Otherwise, it's an awful trade. We only gained maybe 10-15 spots.
Based on some chatter, I would not be too surprised if we trade Vance McDonald for a 2018 pick as well. They tried to trade him during the draft, without success.
I think the trade with the Saints was pretty good. There's a decent chance that the Saints fall off a cliff this year. I know they worked to improve their defense, but they're still rookies and Brees has started showing quite a bit of age. On top of that, the NFC South is beginning to look like a potentially brutal division. Tampa showed some promise last year and the other two teams went to the Super Bowl the prior two years.

It's also funny how everyone thinks that one draft overall has more collective depth than any other. This is only true with individual positions and not overall. One thing is for sure, the QB class next year will be head and shoulders better than this years. If Darnold plays the same this upcoming year as he did last year, he'll be the most can't miss prospect since Luck.

Shanahan has quite a bit of latitude with this team, so I think that a lot of these young players are going to play a lot. Guys like Reid and McDonald won't last long as Shanahan tries to get rid of the Baalke stench.
Originally posted by post_primitive:

Exactly my thought. We're building draft capital next year to land a FQB. Otherwise, it's an awful trade. We only gained maybe 10-15 spots.

I thought it was a great trade. New coach, new O, new D and so may new players already. Even if all the guys we signed were pro-bowl players it would take some time to get them to gel and play together. Like you guys said build picks for next year and see what we really need to improve on. In a perfect world we sign Cousins next year and have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds to get him some weapons.

I actually hope we use those picks , if anything I would trade our 4th and 5th next year to move back into the 3rd, and try to get as top talent as possible, two 2nd's and two 3rd's are like gold , getting younger talent with high ceilings should be the goal , trading away top picks for Cousins would be pricey, since he wont have much upside left after next season , even though he is a top QB

but if we want to package a 3rd along with next years 1st rounder to get closer to get a QB ideal for our system, I would be all for that move, who know? , maybe we'll be in the late teens or early 20's in next years 1st round ...but I have a feeling we wont be drafting in the top 10 next year
Of course I want our team to do well, and I would like to see a better record this coming year, but I have worries with that. As i said before, by just waiting and hoping for Cousins is putting all our QB hopes (eggs), in one basket that is the GM of Washington. From all that I have read, its either the owner or the Gm of Washington, but one of those guys really doesnt like our coach at all from his time there. Some even think that was the main reason a trade this year did not happen is because he didnt want to deal with Kyle. It would be stupid to allow emotions to interfere with club decisions, so I hope that was not the case. Either way, we are hoping here that Cousins doesnt sign a long term deal, AND that Washington does put yet another Franchise Tag on him. Yes, I know to do so would cost the team a silly $34 Million. But recently the owner of the Redskins said that that is a 'possibility'. I hope he was just saying that in an attempt to gain leverage, since paying that much for a QB on a 1-year deal is just dumb. But anyway, I dont think Lynch wants to gamble everything and place all his bets on what Washington does, he needs a backup plan.
So, we would need to be able to draft a QB in 2018 if we dont/cant land Cousins. In order to grab Sam or one of the two 'Joshes', (the top 3 projected QBs), we would need a Top 3 Draft Pick. If we end up with a record of lets say 7-9 or better, we most likely are looking at drafting around 20 or so. That worries me. Yes we got an additional 2nd and 3rd to work with, but the Browns have 2 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders, plus some other picks, the Bills too have a several draft picks. It would be very hard and expensive to put a package of picks together to move up to take our guy. However, I have read this over and over again by former GM's, is that if you really beleive in a certain guy, that he can be the cornerstone of your team, then you must go get him....period. I guess with so many needs on this team, I am concerned about the price is all.
What do you guys think of Cousins? Do you like him? Can he be our main guy over the next 5-7 years? Do you see him staying in Washington?
Personally I have my doubts about Cousins. The best time for Washington to trade him is now past. I know their owner is a major db but I can't see even Snyder running with it right to the end and then letting him walk. I thought there was a reasonable chance that there would be a draft-day trade. Now that chance has gone I think they intend to get a new contract negotiated.

Several other posters in the Beathard thread have taken Shanahan's comparison with Cousins as a sign that we will get Cousins. I read it as the team doubting that they will.

Very happy with this draft. As in all drafts you don't know for sure what you have until you see them all play in games but looks good at this point.

With Robinson, last year's redshirt Redmond and Witherspoon that gives us three young athletic corners to work with, Ward who can play CB as well as the others we have. With Reid, Tartt and Ward at safety we should have the makings of a good secondary.

The addition of Foster puts us in a strong position to have a great LB corps.

With Thomas being added to Buckner and Armstead as well as our other players we are in a good position to have a strong DL.

We are relying on youth and changing to a new system so there will be growing pains but we have the foundation for a very strong defense.

Offense is a different story. Shannahan will have a year to evaluate what we have and decide what we need to be a real contender.

Can our OL transition to his style or will we need to replace a player or two.

We have good TE's as far as being second or third guys but do we have a real number 1 TE.

Between Ellington and the kid we drafted we should be better at slot WR.

We have solid WR's who make good second or third guys but probably need a true number 1 WR

With Hyde and Williams and the others we should be fine at RB and the Shannahan's have always been great at getting production at RB with guys taken ir rounds four through six so we can add more next year if necessary at very low cost in draft capital.

QB. Beathard. Should be able to be at least a decent back up which isn't soo bad for a fourth and seventh round pick. We will probably still need a real franchise QB.

This was never going to be a 1 year rebuild and back to the Superbowl we go. We have most if not all of the pieces we need to have a great defense.

On offense we have a year for Shannahan to evaluate and decide exactly what we need. With all of our cap space plus an extra second and third round pick next year we are in a good position to get what we need. Maybe we get our QB in FA like Cousins. If not then we can target weapons at WR and TE with that cap space and use our picks to maneuver for a QB. This was always going to be a two or three year process. Considering where we were last year we are in about as good a place as we could have hoped for in the rebuilding process and we are loaded with cap space and picks to rebuild the offense next offseason.
Definitely excited with this class along with extra picks we acquired for next year. The build up and anticipation heading to the draft definitely lived up to most of the players that were picked. Would have loved to get an edge but maybe they already have someone on our current roster and will go the wait and see approach. If not, will get on e next year! As far as Beathard pick, it's Shanahan's call as he is the expert here on that department. Our team already signed some OL vets today which will fortify our front lines. Next year will add some more in that area. Overall, really love our draft. Just a matter of time how fast they all mesh together on a new system.
I think the priority of this draft was to improve the rush defense. With the additions of Thomas, Foster, and improved depth on the d-line will go a long way towards accomplishing that. With the draft picks, a healthy Bowman (hopefully) , and a further along DeFo there is no way we finish near the bottom in rush defense again.
Share 49ersWebzone