LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 165 users in the forums

We're done! Grade the new regime's first draft.

We're done! Grade the new regime's first draft.

LOVE the first round, it speaks for itself. Also like the Witherspoon pick. Trading up for Beathard was a head scratcher but we only lost a seventh round pick, and I'm cool with Shanahan getting his guy. Also got two running backs and a small wide receiver who doesn't have sexy measurables but has some pretty sexy film. Also got a 2018 2nd rounder and 2018 3rd rounder.

A-
[ Edited by Fanaticofnfl on Apr 29, 2017 at 3:14 PM ]
Complained that they went defense hard in the first 3 rounds. Then they made up for it going QB, RB, TE, and WR. When you've got elite coaching on the offensive side of the ball, I wanted high round investments there.

But it looks like we're going to have competent coaching try to elevate late round picks. And an inexperienced defensive coordinator trying to elevate high round defensive picks.

How I feel about this kinda depends on if I think Robert Saleh is the long term option for us. Right now, I am not confident in saying that. He could turn out to be another bum like Jim O'Neil. As far as the talent level, it is there, but have question marks about how their production is going to be this season.

Overall Grade: B
B+

Not a fan of the QB pick and we have 0 edge rushers.
[ Edited by jreff22 on Apr 29, 2017 at 3:05 PM ]
For both their first time in their respective positions..I think they did great if you include FA I would have to give a A. I haven't been this excited for the season sine 2011!!
Originally posted by jreff22:
B+

Pita?
A or A-
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
B+

Pita?

He's not going to fix our pass rush problems. He's not even a guarantee to make the roster.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I went with A- but didn't have an idea that was the consensus

F at 4%

• Andra
  • Veteran
I was about to give this draft a F+,( the + being for CJ Beathard) then we got Adrian Culbert. A+!!!

• cciowa
  • Veteran
B+

agree

A plus...it's been a while to see successful 49ers draft.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I think we got 3 starters right off the bat, Solo, Foster, Spoon... if that pans out, the rest of the picks could be duds and it would still be an excellent draft.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Day 1: A+

The trade down to acquire numerous picks and still get BPA in Thomas was fantastic. He's a Chris Long/Justin Smith type guy, and he will DOMINANT against weak NFC West interior OLmen. Love the guy. And to trade up with a divisional rival to snag Foster to play MIKE/WILL for peanuts is icing on the cake. #BrickByBrick to the T.

Day 2: C+

Witherspoon is an ideal scheme fit. Reminds me a bit of Robinson in that you got the physical talent, but you need to improve the mental side in order to start. We got a good group of competition - let em play and see who rises to the top. I think they could have gotten a better prospect via trade up, but he's a solid B pick.

The Beathard pick is a head scratcher. I'll give Shanahan the benefit of the doubt, but the production + value + trade up = C- pick. Prove me wrong, but this reminds me of when the Patriots selected Kevin O'Connell in the 3rd round many years ago. Overdrafted and out of the league after 3 years.

Day 3: A

Nailed the Williams, Kittle, Taylor, and Jones picks. Those were all very good players and value buys at their respective positions.

Pita has potential - his role reminds me a bit of someone like Roderick Green or Jason Babin to start his career: chase the f'in passer.

Not the biggest fan of Colbert, but he's got good size, speed, and skills to be a functional ST guy and developmental guy at FS.

Overall: A-

This draft should net 2 elite starters, 3 solid contributors (Williams/Kittle/Witherspoon), a flyer on Taylor, and intrigue with the QB pick.

The future 2nd and 3rd rounders also elevate this draft from a B+ to an A-.
the white wr and beat hard ...I give it a solid meh minus
[ Edited by 16to87 on Apr 29, 2017 at 3:18 PM ]
First day was pretty great.

After that it really seemed like Baalke had retaken control of the draft...

We got two starters/impact players. Everyone else seems like average depth at best.

I think for us to move in a positive direction as a team we needed more more than that. We needed to get at least 3 serious starter candidates and a few players who can be impact players even if they aren't starting. I don't feel like we did that.

Balancing the success of day with the lack luster days 2 and 3 I gave it a B-
Share 49ersWebzone