There are 220 users in the forums

C.J. Beathard QB Iowa

I think the difference/distinction is two fold:

1) Yes, Kyle knows more about QBs than the rest of us, but did they really not think Beathard would be there at the top of the 4th round--only 6 or so picks away?
2) And to build off that, by Kyle's own admission, they weren't looking to bring someone in to compete with Hoyer and that Beathard is 3rd string. So they trade up into the 3rd for a 3rd-string player?

If the coach and staff believes in the player, I guess so. But as smart and shrewd the Bears trade was, this was equally as head scratching and wildly unnecessary.
Looking through recent draft history, there are plenty of QB's drafted in the top 100 that did absolutely nothing.

I don't think this pick will set our franchise back like some people here think lol
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:

1) Yes, Kyle knows more about QBs than the rest of us, but did they really not think Beathard would be there at the top of the 4th round--only 6 or so picks away?
2) And to build off that, by Kyle's own admission, they weren't looking to bring someone in to compete with Hoyer and that Beathard is 3rd string. So they trade up into the 3rd for a 3rd-string player?

If the coach and staff believes in the player, I guess so. But as smart and shrewd the Bears trade was, this was equally as head scratching and wildly unnecessary.

Vikings called them and offered a chance to move up in exchange for a 7th and they said screw it we'll take it. Just to be 100 percent sure they get him.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Looking through recent draft history, there are plenty of QB's drafted in the top 100 that did absolutely nothing.

I don't think this pick will set our franchise back like some people here think lol

Of course it won't. Still doesn't mean you can't scratch your head with this pick either!
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:

Apparently they didn't.

A third string player this year. If they thought he'd be third string for his entire career I doubt if they would have drafted him. Hoyer knows Shanahan's system already.

Wildly unnecessary? How do you know? Quarterbacks are necessary. They also take time to develop.
I was freaking out about the qb pick but let me HELP everyone out! The fact is, aside from 2012 and dak, after round 2 you will have better luck throwing darts and nailing a starting qb then fighting over what round the qb should be drafted. Check this out and realize this pick is about as absurd as all the others:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Worst pick IMO

I just don't understand how people thought he wasn't going to be there for our late 4th rounder.

Wasn't there another Big 10 QB that Kyle drafted a little earlier than this pick, that came from a primarily run 1st pro style offense, that turned out to be pretty good?
Wait so all Big 10 QBs picked by KS will turn out good? Look, if he's gonna be a project, why not grab BPA that'll upgrade this Baalke made roster. Great OLine talent still on the board with a few pass rushers there too.

We have plenty picks tomorrow to use on a project QB that won't sniff the field. This pick is a HUGE reach.
Originally posted by gored49:
I was freaking out about the qb pick but let me HELP everyone out! The fact is, aside from 2012 and dak, after round 2 you will have better luck throwing darts and nailing a starting qb then fighting over what round the qb should be drafted. Check this out and realize this pick is about as absurd as all the others:

You can say that about every position. Most players, by far, fail. In every position. He saw something he liked and took it. Maybe he ends up turning into what shanny thinks he can be and maybe he doesn't. Just like any pick...
Keep in mind Shanny drafted Kirk when everyone was jockin RG3. I'm sure everyone thought it was dumb to take Kirk in the 4th instead of addressing other positions after they had already invested so much at the QB position for rg3.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Originally posted by gored49:

You can say that about every position. Most players, by far, fail. In every position. He saw something he liked and took it. Maybe he ends up turning into what shanny thinks he can be and maybe he doesn't. Just like any pick...

Mostly what I'm getting at but would say QB's bust at a worse rate because of how few are taken and how many flame out. The odds are much higher that Dobbs, peterman and beathard all bust than one of them becoming a starter.

Keep in mind Shanny drafted Kirk when everyone was jockin RG3. I'm sure everyone thought it was dumb to take Kirk in the 4th instead of addressing other positions after they had already invested so much at the QB position for rg3.

I sure did, I was like hahaha wtf Washington took another QB..so dumb..!! And now he's going to be a niner next year..soooo now I don't express much of an opinion about players drafted bc i realized I'm way more wrong then right lol
[ Edited by jersey49er on Apr 28, 2017 at 11:43 PM ]

Kyle also advised the Texans in acquiring Matt Schaub, urged the Browns to draft Derek Carr or Jimmy Garoppolo, and was the driving force behind landing Cousins. The guy clearly has an aptitude for finding quarterbacks.
Originally posted by Heroism:

Kyle also advised the Texans in acquiring Matt Schaub, urged the Browns to draft Derek Carr or Jimmy Garoppolo, and was the driving force behind landing Cousins. The guy clearly has an aptitude for finding quarterbacks.

Yea but fans on this forum say it was a terrible choice so I don't know who to believe. The "fans" or Shanny.
Yea but fans on this forum say it was a terrible choice so I don't know who to believe. The "fans" or Shanny.

That's a tough one. There is, after all, a copious amount of hall-of-fame keyboard GMs on the web zone.
He said he is mostly film based, watching the actual physical play. Based on his record for drafting and or developing QB's I say give coach and the kid the chance. You just never know and personally I don't see anything wrong with his arm strength or mechanics so with some work he may be good.
Share 49ersWebzone