LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

C.J. Beathard QB Iowa

One trait I do like.....

Kid is good on play action passes. He sells it. And that is a big part of KS offense.
Originally posted by Hangman_52:
He had the second highest velocity throwing at the combine. Only Web threw it harder. What he does do is try to throw with touch and sometimes throws it too weakly..

Best thing I've heard about him so far. Must be why I see all those ducks. Shanny must think he can iron it out. Hope so
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
One trait I do like.....

Kid is good on play action passes. He sells it. And that is a big part of KS offense.

what ive noticed. I think he has some potential and you never know... but its so valuable to get a backup qb also. The round might not be agreeable with a lot of you guys but they know more than us.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Hmm, I wonder whether Beathard or Jeff Driskel is better?

Watch both of their highlight videos and compare how many times Beathards WRs catch the ball in stride and compare it to Driskells highlights. I think you will realize why Shanahan felt he needed to pull the trigger when he did.
Finally, the 49ers QBotF is here! Nate Peterman - pleezz!

Bottom line - Kyle knows what's best for his system!

He once said, some QBs you don't need to personally have a close look to know him (CJ) and he also have done the opposite by visiting with Mitch!

One thing was telling how KS conduct his evaluations is he had been following this kid since last year!

The way they secretly went to Iowa for 30 visits with this guy and no news came out of it, simply tells you they really studied CJ not just as a potential backup, but as the 49ers next franchise QB in the future!!

Now we can forget captain Kirk, we have a guy potentially better than him after one year of seasoning.
All this talk about being a back up. Wasn't Dak Prescott suppose to be a back up?
[ Edited by Alfienator on Apr 28, 2017 at 10:55 PM ]
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I think Shanahan knows a tad more about QB's than anyone posting in this forum...Beathard played in a pro-style offense at Iowa and arguably could've put up bigger numbers last season were it not for injuries to him and his receivers. The Niners haven't developed a QB in a long time...my guess is he's a guy Shanahan likes and he'll coach him up.

Exactly. They already said this was Shannys pick. He's been doing this s**t his whole life. I'll trust one of the best offensive minds in the entire NFL over some guys in the forum. Especially rascal who said we should take Fournette at 2 with all the holes we had.
I'll be upfront and admit that I didn't watch much Iowa football.

But I am watching him now, and the claims of "noodle arm" are greatly exaggerated and quite frankly unfounded. This guy does not have a noodle arm. It may not be elite, but it's clearly not weak. Looks about average to me.

Good zip here.

Pushes the ball 60 yards down the field

He kinds of reminds me of Matt Schaub.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 28, 2017 at 10:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Wow after a long two hours in traffic I come home and find Beathard NOT Peterman.

Well like I said, I'd support any QB Shanahan took. So I'm good with Beathard.

LMFAO this dude was as far from a Mahomes, Watson or Kizer. All this talk and hype about those QB's for nothing. Pocket QB, like I've wanted all along.

I remember a poster saying that he disagrees with me the most on QB's. lol smh

He is a pocket QB for sure, be he isn't Bledsoe either, he can move and run down field a bit if he needs to.

Maybe he turns into Drew Brees for us. Maybe he sits on the bench for the next five years and becomes Matt Barkley. Either way I like that Lynch/Shanny evaluated the players and have been aggressive in getting them. They are trusting their own work and not herding players to where others think they should be.
Don't know a lot about him but... I trust our coach decisions on QBs better than anyone else. I'm pretty hyped they liked a QB and traded to get him. Good sign.

Originally posted by TheNef77:
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Worst pick IMO

I just don't understand how people thought he wasn't going to be there for our late 4th rounder.

Wasn't there another Big 10 QB that Kyle drafted a little earlier than this pick, that came from a primarily run 1st pro style offense, that turned out to be pretty good?
Originally posted by Heroism:
I'll be upfront and admit that I didn't watch much Iowa football.

But I am watching him now, and the claims of "noodle arm" are greatly exaggerated and quite frankly unfounded. This guy does not have a noodle arm. It may not be elite, but it's clearly not weak. Looks about average to me.

Good zip here.

Pushes the ball 60 yards down the field

That ball travels from the 8 to the opposite 35. So yeah, 57 yards in the air and on the nose in stride.
This was all shannys pick.

John Lynch's opening comments:

"So, wasn't lying to you. Went back in the room and we received a call from Minnesota with an opportunity to move up from 109 to 104 and we had a quarterback that we had grown to really appreciate and we felt like it was, might he have been there at 109? That's what we had to weigh. But, at the end of the day we felt like it was worth it to go to bed knowing that we had a player that we like and want the opportunity to develop at the quarterback position. I'll let [head coach] Kyle [Shanahan] tell you more about C.J. Beathard the quarterback and what we grew to like."

Kyle Shanahan's opening comments:

"We're really excited to get an opportunity to get C.J. You never know when a guy is going to go, especially quarterbacks. Went into this very open minded. Didn't even know if we'd end up getting one today or tomorrow, but we had an idea that C.J. might go in the fourth round and for someone else to approach us and have us move up to the end of the third just for one of our seventh round picks that we've acquired. And, knowing we have nine tomorrow, it's tough using all of those going into tomorrow. We didn't want to hesitate. Go up and get a good player that we believe in. Didn't think it cost a lot in the long run. So, I'm real happy to get C.J. here."
Originally posted by TheNef77:

Bad film to watch. Michigan made him pay for his inability to beat a blitz. Could be schematical or just the WRs suck and can't get open. Still, he misses a lot of open guys here and never really gets into a rhythm.

Is he the punter too? Jeez..... not a great punter either......
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
This was all shannys pick.

John Lynch's opening comments:

"So, wasn't lying to you. Went back in the room and we received a call from Minnesota with an opportunity to move up from 109 to 104 and we had a quarterback that we had grown to really appreciate and we felt like it was, might he have been there at 109? That's what we had to weigh. But, at the end of the day we felt like it was worth it to go to bed knowing that we had a player that we like and want the opportunity to develop at the quarterback position. I'll let [head coach] Kyle [Shanahan] tell you more about C.J. Beathard the quarterback and what we grew to like."

Kyle Shanahan's opening comments:

"We're really excited to get an opportunity to get C.J. You never know when a guy is going to go, especially quarterbacks. Went into this very open minded. Didn't even know if we'd end up getting one today or tomorrow, but we had an idea that C.J. might go in the fourth round and for someone else to approach us and have us move up to the end of the third just for one of our seventh round picks that we've acquired. And, knowing we have nine tomorrow, it's tough using all of those going into tomorrow. We didn't want to hesitate. Go up and get a good player that we believe in. Didn't think it cost a lot in the long run. So, I'm real happy to get C.J. here."

They're basically saying we're not the Browns. If we like a QB we go for him to make sure we nab him.
Share 49ersWebzone