LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Who do you absolutely not want to see be the 49ers pick in the 1st round?

Fournette is the only guy I don't want under any circumstances. I could live with Thomas, but I wouldn't exactly be thrilled about it at #2 overall.
[ Edited by PA9erFaithful on Apr 27, 2017 at 4:39 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by All22:
Thomas. He's just as redundant as Fournette but he's also a bad fit/undersized for every position along the line except the one that Buckner plays.

Yeah, I agree - Thomas was always a bad fit.

Well he's actually pretty wrong on that...how about he says what spot Buckner is gonna play before saying he's gonna out of position.

Buckner according to camp yesterday is the 3-tech which Thomas can play BUT at 5-tech he can be very very good. And people act like they can't move around lol...it not like a RB or CB who's gonna play that one spot. Buckner and Thomas would be interchangeable based on downs.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Yeah, I agree - Thomas was always a bad fit.

The coaches have been playing Armstead at Leo in camp but you think Thomas would be a bad fit for this team?

Did you forget last year already? The only dlman better than Thomas in this class is Garrett and it wouldn't shock me that 10 years down the road we look back and Thomas is the better player due to his drive and motor(Rice > Moss) where determination wins over pure physical tools.

Strong DL helps the rest of the defense look that much better. Why would a guy who can play all over the line and is super versatile in his skillset be a bad fit?
Originally posted by genus49:
The coaches have been playing Armstead at Leo in camp but you think Thomas would be a bad fit for this team?

Did you forget last year already? The only dlman better than Thomas in this class is Garrett and it wouldn't shock me that 10 years down the road we look back and Thomas is the better player due to his drive and motor(Rice > Moss) where determination wins over pure physical tools.

Strong DL helps the rest of the defense look that much better. Why would a guy who can play all over the line and is super versatile in his skillset be a bad fit?

He won't, people just don't want to draft DL so they makeup s**t to justify why.
For me I would be very underwhelmed if we took Adams, lattimore, or Fournette at two....if we trade down all bets are off.
Mitchell.
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
Really gone sour on Solomon Thomas, just don't see the fit. Oddly enough Trubisky has grown on me but I'd rather take one of the later round QB's. Still no to Fournette or Lattimore or any of the guys with character concerns.

Be happy with either Hooker or Adams, still preferring a trade down.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
any QB or RB
  • All22
  • Veteran

Because he can't play all over the line in the NFL. To be successful he needs to be in the Aaron Donald role - a quick undersized interior rusher. He fails miserably anywhere else. People are just assuming he can play outside because of his combine and weight but the tape shows otherwise.
Thomas
bust in the making

• Chico
  • Veteran
Mitch...trubisky...
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
The draft is a projection. We don't know how any of these players are going to turn out. It comes down to circumstance and luck.

It makes me laugh when people say so and so sucks and vice versa. In the end you're just arguing about value, not whether or not the player will be any good.
Originally posted by All22:
Because he can't play all over the line in the NFL. To be successful he needs to be in the Aaron Donald role - a quick undersized interior rusher. He fails miserably anywhere else. People are just assuming he can play outside because of his combine and weight but the tape shows otherwise.

Says you.

Thomas has had success everywhere Stanford played him and he hasn't exactly been playing sexy positions. They played him at NT in 2015 because it was the best fit given their roster at the time and he played very well there. He played a lot more 3T than anything else last year and obviously dominated and won the Morris trophy...voted on by other players and coaches(guys who actually play against him)

The idea that he can't play in the NFL is ridiculous. All of these guys start out in college and have to improve as they go. Thomas has all the tools and the mental aspect of the game that make great players. He wants to be great, plays with violence but keeps his head clean off the field. Those type of players rarely fail in the NFL.

But if weight is your concern and you honestly think that he can't put another 10-20 lbs on that frame then I don't know what to tell you.

And saying he fails otherwise...and miserably too is absolutely BS.
[ Edited by genus49 on Apr 27, 2017 at 6:12 AM ]
Originally posted by FL9er:
The draft is a projection. We don't know how any of these players are going to turn out. It comes down to circumstance and luck.

It makes me laugh when people say so and so sucks and vice versa. In the end you're just arguing about value, not whether or not the player will be any good.

Post of the day.

Every player in the conversation at 2 is a stud else he wouldn't be in the conversation. Saying someone "sucks" is ignorant and lazy.

Suggesting that Fournette is a poor scheme fit and better value could be found later in the draft in the person of CM, Cook, Hunt, Kamara, or Jones, on the other hand, is a reasonable opinion.
I'd prefer no Thomas and no Fournette @2. If we traded down to say 8 or later then maybe Thomas, but still no to Fournette. I really don't see the scheme fit honestly. I know I know KS said if you're a good player you're a good player blah blah blah. Kaepernick took his team to the Superbowl and isn't on this team because of scheme fit.
[ Edited by WINiner on Apr 27, 2017 at 6:32 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone