LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 181 users in the forums

Report: 49ers, Bears "most antsy" to trade down in first round

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'll be honest, if RG3 turned out to be a franchise QB, it would have been worth it. It's amazing how the Rams did virtually nothing with all those top picks.

Yea probably would have been worth it. Just painful thinking of all the guys they passed up. From that trade the Rams got Janoris Jenkins, Greg Robinson, Michael Brockers, Alec Ogeltree. They really f**ked that Robinson pick up. Could have had Mack, Mike Evans, OBJ, Anthony Barr. Mixed it up and thought they got Aaron Donald out of the trade but that was actually their own pick.
Not related really but on the topic of draft trades. Heres a gem from draft ninja Baalke. We had the 3rd round (92nd) pick in 2012 which we traded to Colts. They selected TY Hilton with that pick. We got their 4th(97) and a 5th the following year (Quinton Dial).

So with that 97th pick, we traded it away to the Dolphins who picked Lamar Miller with that one. We received their 4th round (103rd) with a couple 6ths that amounted to nothing. We then traded that 103rd with the Panthers and received their 2013 3rd round pick. And kept trading down in 2012 which amounted to nothing.

So 2013 draft we traded our 31st pick and Panthers 74th pick to traded up to 18 to snag Eric Reid. With those two picks the Cowboys got all pro and 3 time pro bowl center Travis Frederick, as well as Terrance Williams with that third rounder.

With picks acquired from us, other teams got TY Hilton, Lamar Miller, Travis Frederick, Terrance Williams. At least we got Eric Reid and Quinton Dial though...
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Not related really but on the topic of draft trades. Heres a gem from draft ninja Baalke. We had the 3rd round (92nd) pick in 2012 which we traded to Colts. They selected TY Hilton with that pick. We got their 4th(97) and a 5th the following year (Quinton Dial).

So with that 97th pick, we traded it away to the Dolphins who picked Lamar Miller with that one. We received their 4th round (103rd) with a couple 6ths that amounted to nothing. We then traded that 103rd with the Panthers and received their 2013 3rd round pick. And kept trading down in 2012 which amounted to nothing.

So 2013 draft we traded our 31st pick and Panthers 74th pick to traded up to 18 to snag Eric Reid. With those two picks the Cowboys got all pro and 3 time pro bowl center Travis Frederick, as well as Terrance Williams with that third rounder.

With picks acquired from us, other teams got TY Hilton, Lamar Miller, Travis Frederick, Terrance Williams. At least we got Eric Reid and Quinton Dial though...

That's depressing. Hopefully the current staff will turn that around and have a good draft.

That was pretty bad. He wasn't a very good GM or talent evaluater. Once he was out of the first round he was pretty poor. Thats why he always wanted 2 first round picks.

Why personnel control wasn't given to Harbaugh still baffles me to this day. Baalke could have looked like a genius riding Harbaughs coat tails.
Originally posted by JBrack:
That was pretty bad. He wasn't a very good GM or talent evaluater. Once he was out of the first round he was pretty poor. Thats why he always wanted 2 first round picks.

Why personnel control wasn't given to Harbaugh still baffles me to this day. Baalke could have looked like a genius riding Harbaughs coat tails.

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise and this Shanny era is the best thing to ever happen to us. Time will tell.

No way to know how Harbaugh would do as GM. He wasn't a big fan of Sherman or Baldwin on his own college team and they're two of the best players in Seattle now. He also vouched for Jonathan Martin who was garbage.

Some guys can do both, some guys are just good at one thing. Harbaugh was/is a coach who does much better recruiting for college.
JL saying we are open for business is the smoke screen. He wants Trubisky and hasn't tipped his hand to this point. All the Fournette, Thomas, and Foster talk is smoke. And no way does he pick a safety at 2. He is sandbagging the draft class so Cleveland passes on QB. Can't trust your eyes or ears right now in the league. I mean, how stupid would it be to bank on a QB leaving his current team to be your franchise QB? Or to say that next year's class will be so much better than this one? Trubisky has the skill set to be very successful. He also has the intangibles. There is nothing more I need to see from him. He should be the pick.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
JL saying we are open for business is the smoke screen. He wants Trubisky and hasn't tipped his hand to this point. All the Fournette, Thomas, and Foster talk is smoke. And no way does he pick a safety at 2. He is sandbagging the draft class so Cleveland passes on QB. Can't trust your eyes or ears right now in the league. I mean, how stupid would it be to bank on a QB leaving his current team to be your franchise QB? Or to say that next year's class will be so much better than this one? Trubisky has the skill set to be very successful. He also has the intangibles. There is nothing more I need to see from him. He should be the pick.

Can't say I agree with this myself, but it's an interesting theory. If you're proven to be correct then I tip my hat to you good sir.
Been saying all along Garrett & Trubisky will be the first 2 players picked (and not necessarily in that order).

Let's not forget the amazing AJ Jenkins at #30 pick

Share 49ersWebzone