LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Report: 49ers, Bears "most antsy" to trade down in first round

Originally posted by JBrack:
I didn't consider that aspect, good point. I guess it could go either way if teams actually want to trade up. But if say Cleveland is convinced we wont take a qb. Then they could just trade with the bears and leave us out. Its cheaper.

Of course, part of the draft is taking a chance. But say they want Trubisky really bad, they may feel 100% we're not going QB. But they do know we're looking to move down. They have to move up from #12. What happens if Arizona wants to jump up? What happens if Buffalo wants to move up? Obviously teams hear stuff but there is a risk of us basically taking something small just to move down. If they want their guy it makes sense to ensure they get him vs taking a risk that another team decides to throw in a little extra to trade up to #2.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
So Cle sits back, and waits for #3 pick to start real trade negotiations.

Meanwhile, we're OTC at 2, and the Bills call. Cle is screwed now.

Having the Bears be "open for business" helps us, a lot. That's two Wildcard * picks in a row. There's no knowing who's going there. Only way to get who you want (for sure), is to get the highest * pick there is.

10, 44, 75, 156, 171, 195

Those are the Bills draft picks. They don't have what it takes to move up. They would have to give up most of their 2018 draft as well.

Teams have to have the ammo. Can't just move up unless you can afford it.
[ Edited by JBrack on Apr 17, 2017 at 11:54 AM ]

Those are the Bills draft picks. They don't have what it takes to move up. They would have to give up most of their 2018 draft as well.

I'd take #10, #44 and their first rounder next year in a second.
Originally posted by genus49:

Value wise we would be getting screwed on that deal.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheNef77:
I think the closest thing to a dream trade down scenario we have is the Jags show out for LF and someone like the Giants gets desperate enough to meet our asking price.

No way too far down...imo trading with the browns for the 12th pick would be ideal. They have a butt load of high end picks and I'd rather take a future browns pick vs the Giants

After doing that mock draft, there will be tons of talent at 23 to plug into our sorry Baalke-built roster to jump start this new beginning.
So Cle sits back, and waits for #3 pick to start real trade negotiations.

Meanwhile, we're OTC at 2, and the Bills call. Cle is screwed now.

Having the Bears be "open for business" helps us, a lot. That's two Wildcard * picks in a row. There's no knowing who's going there. Only way to get who you want (for sure), is to get the highest * pick there is.

The Bills are just an example to make my point - having the highest wildcard draft pick is an advantage, not a disadvantage.

And you and I may have differing expectations of what the Niners would accept in a trade down in this draft. My hunch - we're not expecting a Goff-like haul. However, once two teams declare their desire for our pick, the price can move up. I simply don't expect a franchise-changing draft haul from our #2 pick.

Buffalo would have a top 5 pick next year.

They could throw in another second or third from next year and I think it's a good deal.

... or they can throw shady in there too 😏. Haha that would be great but isn't going to happen. I would prefer Sammy Watkins anyways.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Apr 17, 2017 at 12:02 PM ]
I didn't consider that aspect, good point. I guess it could go either way if teams actually want to trade up. But if say Cleveland is convinced we wont take a qb. Then they could just trade with the bears and leave us out. Its cheaper.

We can lower our demands. If Clv calls for Mitch there's a 90% chance of landing a top 5 pick next year. The rest is gravy.
The Bills are just an example to make my point - having the highest wildcard draft pick is an advantage, not a disadvantage.

And you and I may have differing expectations of what the Niners would accept in a trade down in this draft. My hunch - we're not expecting a Goff-like haul. However, once two teams declare their desire for our pick, the price can move up. I simply don't expect a franchise-changing draft haul from our #2 pick.

I get what you are saying, I just don't see the demand to move up is what im saying. The value between picks 2 and 3 is considerable.

Just spit balling here and trying to cover every scenario.

I get what you are saying, I just don't see the demand to move up is what im saying. The value between picks 2 and 3 is considerable.

Just spit balling here and trying to cover every scenario.

I agree with you, the demand to move up may not be there. And that's why I'm saying there's going to be a reduction in price of the #2 pick. I don't think we can apply the "trade chart value" to the #2 pick this year. As I see it, once we accept "below value" offers, we'll see demand in our pick.
I agree with you, the demand to move up may not be there. And that's why I'm saying there's going to be a reduction in price of the #2 pick. I don't think we can apply the "trade chart value" to the #2 pick this year. As I see it, once we accept "below value" offers, we'll see demand in our pick.

I agree unless we trade with the Browns. If that trade can go through I actually see the price going up

I agree unless we trade with the Browns. If that trade can go through I actually see the price going up

That'd be awesome
If anything the Bears being "open for business" themselves helps us out.

Teams eyeing one of the QBs may have thought we're not interested due to Cousins and Bears not interested due to Glennon well if the Bears are eager to move down teams may try to leapfrog them(or another team looking to trade up to their spot)

Basically if you want your guy you need to go up to the highest spot up for grabs or risk losing out on him.

We'll see how it goes.

This only helps us out if multiple teams want the same player, and since there's no consensus marquee name after Myles Garrett, there's no telling who teams could have their eyes on. I bet most of the inquiring teams will want to ensure they get the guy they want at a modest price point only.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 17, 2017 at 12:46 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think the closest thing to a dream trade down scenario we have is the Jags show out for LF and someone like the Giants gets desperate enough to meet our asking price.

No way too far down...imo trading with the browns for the 12th pick would be ideal. They have a butt load of high end picks and I'd rather take a future browns pick vs the Giants

After doing that mock draft, there will be tons of talent at 23 to plug into our sorry Baalke-built roster to jump start this new beginning.

I still would like to be able to get a top end talent with some higher end picks.....NY doesn't have higher end picks through out this draft. They would have to give away 1st rd picks for like the next three yrs to move up that high lol.

Realistically the Browns are one of the only teams that have enough high end draft picks to trade away and not completely f**k their future for yrs.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 17, 2017 at 12:52 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone