LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Report: 49ers, Bears "most antsy" to trade down in first round

Report: 49ers, Bears "most antsy" to trade down in first round
Posted by Josh Alper on April 17, 2017, 6:59 AM EDT

AP
Last year saw each of the first two picks in the draft get traded ahead of the start of the first round, but it doesn't look like we're in store for a repeat of that this year.

If the teams in those slots get their way, however, we could see the second and third picks get traded. Peter King of TheMMQB.com reports that the 49ers, who pick second, and the Bears, who pick third, are among the "most antsy" to trade down in the first round of the draft. The Jets, who pick sixth, join them in that group.

49ers General Manager John Lynch has already said the team is "open for business" and we'd guess the other two teams have sent a similar message even if they haven't made it public. King also reports that the other side of the market hasn't developed as few teams want to move up. Assuming the Browns take Myles Garrett with the first pick, King writes that "there's about 15 other players who could be number two on 32 draft boards" and that likely lessens the pressure felt and the compensation offered by teams trying to get to No. 2.

It only takes one team to shake up that scenario, of course, and that's especially true if someone falls in love with a quarterback that they want to ensure winds up on their roster on April 27.
Why I think a tradedown is going to be unlikely. I think a bunch of teams would love to tradedown and acquire more picks in a very deep draft. This is also why the draft value chart goes out the window. It is a buyers market all the way.
If only there was a thread for draft rumors.
Baalke says to load up on 6th and 7th rounders.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Why I think a tradedown is going to be unlikely. I think a bunch of teams would love to tradedown and acquire more picks in a very deep draft. This is also why the draft value chart goes out the window. It is a buyers market all the way.

I think everyone in 49er land wants a trade. But this is the first I have heard of Chicago wanting to trade back. If thats the case it really hurts us IMO. If they are willing to deal then that would drive the price down on our pick.
Bad year to want to trade back.

We'd be lucky to get that early second if all these teams really want to move back.
If they wanted to trade down so bad, they should have been wining and dining Mitch/Deshaun this whole time. Most executives figure they'll get one of the top QBs in the late first round anyways so no need to trade your future away.

Lynch's first time doing this so can't expect him to play his hand like an expert.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Bad year to want to trade back.

We'd be lucky to get that early second if all these teams really want to move back.

And I would do cartwheels if they got that early second. So much top notch talent that will be available through the first 15 to 20 picks of the 2nd, Id love to see the 49ers have two cracks at it.
nice win against the rams, amirite? Stupid idiot team...
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
If they wanted to trade down so bad, they should have been wining and dining Mitch/Deshaun this whole time. Most executives figure they'll get one of the top QBs in the late first round anyways so no need to trade your future away.

Lynch's first time doing this so can't expect him to play his hand like an expert.

They worked out both guys, took both guys to dinner, went to their Pro Days, met with at the Combine, its just that no team is buying that they have any real interest due to the prospects themselves.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

They worked out both guys, took both guys to dinner, went to their Pro Days, met with at the Combine, its just that no team is buying that they have any real interest due to the prospects themselves.

No fake leaks that we want them though. This entire time the guys we been linked to liking the most is Foster, Fournette, Kizer and I think Hooker.

Obvious smokescreen is obvious. You kind of lose your trade leverage when you say we love him so much but meh you can have him. We need Chc, NY to be wining and dining him and it's just not happening.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 17, 2017 at 10:13 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Obvious smokescreen is obvious. You kind of lose your trade leverage when you say we love him so much but meh you can have him. We need Chc, NY to be wining and dining him and it's just not happening.

The only thing obvious is that we don't care for Mitch/Deshaun. When this all started we kept getting them mocked to us. Then everyone learned we most likely don't want them.

Teams likely think we want Foster, Fournette, Hooker because of the Miller leaks so no reason at all to trade us.
The only thing obvious is that we don't care for Mitch/Deshaun. When this all started we kept getting them mocked to us. Then everyone learned we most likely don't want them.

Teams likely think we want Foster, Fournette, Hooker because of the Miller leaks so no reason at all to trade us.

It's kind of how it goes though. Once you imply you're open to business teams know you're not sold on him. You can't hide it. We need a team that does feel that strongly about him and that hasn't developed.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
It's kind of how it goes though. Once you imply you're open to business teams know you're not sold on him. You can't hide it. We need a team that does feel that strongly about him and that hasn't developed.

That's my whole point though. We're at this position where we're asking teams to trade us because we had not been smokescreening well or feeding off the early qb rumors.
Share 49ersWebzone