There are 212 users in the forums

Draft Rumors Thread

• FL9er
  • Veteran
I try to do this every year but haven't had any time.

Here's Albert Breer confirming that the 49ers like Foster and Fournette; cue the vomiting emoticon from Heroism and a spamming of Fournette vids from Rascal.

• WHO'S FALLING?

From a talent standpoint, Alabama pass rusher Tim Williams is a Top 10 pick. I've heard him called a more explosive Bruce Irvin, and Irvin went 15th overall in 2013. But there's the drug issue (Williams admitted at the combine to failing tests in college), and the gun charge, and a real question as to whether or not he'll be able to grow past his problems. "He's up there with the top pure pass rushers," said one area scout assigned to the Tide. "The real question is his personality, and the trust factor with teams. The problems aren't rare, it's more whether the team can trust the person. Can he work through the problems? Is he smart enough to work through the problems?" Worth noting: Past personality issues with pass-rushers (Randy Gregory, Aldon Smith, Greg Hardy, Dion Jordan) aren't helping Williams. I'd be surprised if he goes in the first round. And he may fall further than that.

WHAT'S SAN FRANCISCO DOING?

It's the most asked question I'm hearing from teams, and Stanford pass-rusher Solomon Thomas has long appeared to be the leader in the clubhouse to go No. 2 after Cleveland takes Texas A&M freak Myles Garrett off the board. But I'd be surprised if GM John Lynch doesn't make an effort to try and deal down and accumulate more draft capital. I've heard from a number of people that the Niners like Alabama LB Reuben Foster and LSU RB Leonard Fournette.

• WILL THE BEARS TAKE A SAFETY?

Word is the Bears like both LSU's Jamal Adams and Ohio State's Malik Hooker, who are widely considered two of the best safety prospects to come out of the college ranks in years. The problem? It's the idea of drafting a safety that high, and whether the impact will meet the price of the third pick in the draft. That would naturally make the Bears another candidate to at least explore trading down.

• IS ANYONE LOOKING TO TRADE UP?

As of right now, the ranks are thin, and for a couple reasons. First, the quarterbacks haven't built the momentum that Jared Goff and Carson Wentz did in 2016, and that position is usually a driver in major moves at the top of the first round. Second, as strong as this draft is, where it's strong it's also deep (receiver, tight end, corner, safety, edge rusher), so plenty of teams are thinking that the difference between, say, 5 and 15 or 10 and 20 isn't huge.

• HOW WILL THE BACKS SHAKE OUT?

I know a couple teams that like Dalvin Cook over Leonard Fournette, because of the 21st-century style of back Cook is. (It's similar to why the Colts took Edgerrin James over Ricky Williams a generation ago.) And there are teams that like Joe Mixon, as a player, more than Cook. Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said to me last week he wants a team that can run it when the opponent knows what's coming. So would Fournette be in play at 4? I'm hearing Mixon is likely to go in round two or three. Whenever he goes, it's a big and complex story. Add in Christian McCaffrey and Alvin Kamara, and this historic class of backs will be pretty compelling to watch when we get to Philly.

• AND THE QUARTERBACKS?

Remember, everyone believed the Jaguars were not taking a quarterback with the third pick in 2014. And then they did. So take that into account when I say that there's very little buzz for the quarterbacks inside the top few picks, with Buffalo at 10 (yes, even with Tyrod Taylor under contract) being the earliest selecting team being connected to the group. This one, of course, will evolve in the coming weeks.
ttp://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/06/richard-sherman-trade-talk-seattle-seahawks-nflpicks

More to come. Others are free to add to the thread.
[ Edited by FL9er on Apr 7, 2017 at 4:11 PM ]
Originally posted by FL9er:
I try to do this every year but haven't had any time.

Here's Albert Breer confirming that the 49ers like Foster and Fournette; cue the vomiting emoticon from Heroism and a spamming of Fournette vids from Rascal.

• WHO'S FALLING?

From a talent standpoint, Alabama pass rusher Tim Williams is a Top 10 pick. I've heard him called a more explosive Bruce Irvin, and Irvin went 15th overall in 2013. But there's the drug issue (Williams admitted at the combine to failing tests in college), and the gun charge, and a real question as to whether or not he'll be able to grow past his problems. "He's up there with the top pure pass rushers," said one area scout assigned to the Tide. "The real question is his personality, and the trust factor with teams. The problems aren't rare, it's more whether the team can trust the person. Can he work through the problems? Is he smart enough to work through the problems?" Worth noting: Past personality issues with pass-rushers (Randy Gregory, Aldon Smith, Greg Hardy, Dion Jordan) aren't helping Williams. I'd be surprised if he goes in the first round. And he may fall further than that.

WHAT'S SAN FRANCISCO DOING?

It's the most asked question I'm hearing from teams, and Stanford pass-rusher Solomon Thomas has long appeared to be the leader in the clubhouse to go No. 2 after Cleveland takes Texas A&M freak Myles Garrett off the board. But I'd be surprised if GM John Lynch doesn't make an effort to try and deal down and accumulate more draft capital. I've heard from a number of people that the Niners like Alabama LB Reuben Foster and LSU RB Leonard Fournette.

• WILL THE BEARS TAKE A SAFETY?

Word is the Bears like both LSU's Jamal Adams and Ohio State's Malik Hooker, who are widely considered two of the best safety prospects to come out of the college ranks in years. The problem? It's the idea of drafting a safety that high, and whether the impact will meet the price of the third pick in the draft. That would naturally make the Bears another candidate to at least explore trading down.

• IS ANYONE LOOKING TO TRADE UP?

As of right now, the ranks are thin, and for a couple reasons. First, the quarterbacks haven't built the momentum that Jared Goff and Carson Wentz did in 2016, and that position is usually a driver in major moves at the top of the first round. Second, as strong as this draft is, where it's strong it's also deep (receiver, tight end, corner, safety, edge rusher), so plenty of teams are thinking that the difference between, say, 5 and 15 or 10 and 20 isn't huge.

• HOW WILL THE BACKS SHAKE OUT?

I know a couple teams that like Dalvin Cook over Leonard Fournette, because of the 21st-century style of back Cook is. (It's similar to why the Colts took Edgerrin James over Ricky Williams a generation ago.) And there are teams that like Joe Mixon, as a player, more than Cook. Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said to me last week he wants a team that can run it when the opponent knows what's coming. So would Fournette be in play at 4? I'm hearing Mixon is likely to go in round two or three. Whenever he goes, it's a big and complex story. Add in Christian McCaffrey and Alvin Kamara, and this historic class of backs will be pretty compelling to watch when we get to Philly.

• AND THE QUARTERBACKS?

Remember, everyone believed the Jaguars were not taking a quarterback with the third pick in 2014. And then they did. So take that into account when I say that there's very little buzz for the quarterbacks inside the top few picks, with Buffalo at 10 (yes, even with Tyrod Taylor under contract) being the earliest selecting team being connected to the group. This one, of course, will evolve in the coming weeks.
ttp://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/06/richard-sherman-trade-talk-seattle-seahawks-nflpicks

More to come. Others are free to add to the thread.

Thanks for the piece but meh ...Nothing new from what he said. Didn't add any insight on any new news.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
La Canfora on the QBs:

QBs in play for the Saints, Chargers, Jets.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-nfl-draft-rumors-mitch-trubisky-wont-last-long-deshone-kizer-could-plunge/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-draft-notes-cowboys-tip-their-hand-conley-looks-like-safest-cb-bet/
[ Edited by FL9er on Apr 10, 2017 at 8:17 AM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
"I hear they (49ers) really like Marshon Lattimore and Jamal Adams is generating momentum as a potential pick." - Todd McShay, ESPN, 4/10/17
Everyone and everything is in play. The only surprise is if we somehow land garrett. The rest won't be a surprise, whether its thomas, fournette, any of the dbs, or trading down.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Everyone and everything is in play. The only surprise is if we somehow land garrett. The rest won't be a surprise, whether its thomas, fournette, any of the dbs, or trading down.

We can smokescreen every single guy.....PLEASEEEEEE LET SOMEONE TRADE UP!
Types of Smoke Chemical

Water Based

The majority of smoke chemicals in use today are generally referred to as 'water based'. This rather vague term describes chemicals which are water miscible, and are in the main based on glycols and glycerol.

Water based smokes are dense and white, and the generators that produce them can be simple to operate and very compact.

Typically two-thirds of the 'Smoke Chemical' is made up of active ingredient, the remaining one-third being purified, de-ionised water.

Different Glycols produce smokes of differing persistencies, Propylene Glycol generally being the least persistent. Glycerol is by far and away the most persistent 'water based' smoke.

We would normally recommend that, where dense concentrations of water-based smoke are required (e.g. Fire Brigade Training, Leak Testing), that the most persistent smoke possible is produced. The use of chemicals with high percentages of glycols, whilst producing dense white smoke, is not cost effective, as the smoke disperses so quickly that one is having to produce smoke almost all the time in order to keep up with the rate of breakdown of the smoke.

Glycol smokes begin to layer noticeably at 35-45°C, Glycerine smokes at about 50-60°C.

Hand Portable Smoke Machine - hand-portable unit. Can deliver quick dispersing smoke (PS21) or long lasting (PS23). Off-power facility on basic models. 240/110v.

2.2kW High Output Smoke Generator - continuous high output 2.2kW machine with a choice of fluids available for either quick dispersing smoke or persistent. 240/110v.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

We can smokescreen every single guy.....PLEASEEEEEE LET SOMEONE TRADE UP!

Looks like the biggest smokescreen could be Fournette. We have to hope that the Panthers or jags are desperate enough to trade up for him and that neither is in love with McCaffery.
Originally posted by FL9er:
La Canfora on the QBs:

QBs in play for the Saints, Chargers, Jets.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-nfl-draft-rumors-mitch-trubisky-wont-last-long-deshone-kizer-could-plunge/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-draft-notes-cowboys-tip-their-hand-conley-looks-like-safest-cb-bet/

Conley is a safe bet, he reminds me of Brock.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Originally posted by Jcool:

So, we look at the players that they've shown minimal interest in? To me, Watson and Mahomes comes to mind with QBs. Lynch said the bare minimum when talking about them. But also, its obvious that thomas and mccaffery are a favorite of kyle and john. This is frustrating yet exciting lol.
Originally posted by Jcool:

So, we look at the players that they've shown minimal interest in? To me, Watson and Mahomes comes to mind with QBs. Lynch said the bare minimum when talking about them. But also, its obvious that thomas and mccaffery are a favorite of kyle and john. This is frustrating yet exciting lol.

No, I think it means if you are hearing rumors that this team really likes player X then its probably not so true ie the Fournette and Foster rumor.
"Stoping the run is our biggest priority" makes me think DLine or Foster
Why do fans continue to think teams put out smokescreens? What possible purpose would it serve when the entire league is skeptical of any news they hear regarding favorites. Nobody is getting fooled. A team could not say a single thing to anybody and fans, media and/or opposing teams would just make stuff up to fill in the blanks.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Why do fans continue to think teams put out smokescreens? What possible purpose would it serve when the entire league is skeptical of any news they hear regarding favorites. Nobody is getting fooled. A team could not say a single thing to anybody and fans, media and/or opposing teams would just make stuff up to fill in the blanks.

Share 49erswebzone