LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Sam Darnold

No USC QB's
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
College is NOT the pros mijo your standards has Lamar Jackson going #1. Rosen is a better prospect than your boy Goof by far.

Who said anything about Goff? If Darnold replicates what he did this past season he is going #1 no questions about it. If Rosen has another mediocre season he'll fall out of the discussion altogether.

Who cares who goes #1 Shanny's type is a pocket passer and Josh Rosen and Josh Allen are better pro prospects in his system is the point unlike Goff or Darnold.

I would have to agree bud for the 49ers only Rosen and Allen are fits in Shanny's system.
Originally posted by Shalynch:
I would have to agree bud for the 49ers only Rosen and Allen are fits in Shanny's system.

Which is nonsense. Darnold is a pure pocket passing prospect, we're not talking about gimmicky Colin Kaepernick here. Darnold has been compared to guys like Luck and Matt Stafford. The big thing that I saw in him this year as a first time starter was poise. Nothing seemed to faze him, no moment was too big for him and you could tell he is a natural born leader. Those intangibles will go a long way with NFL teams, including Shanahan who reportedly was also quite fond of Derek Carr and Jimmy Garoppolo, both of them coming out of spread offenses.

Forget scheme and look at the characteristics and intangibles of each guy, accuracy, quick release, processing, determination and leadership.
When you Josh Rosen fans see how mediocre the dude really is & Darnold is a finalist to win the Heisman prepare your crow well done.

Darnold>>>>>>>>>>>>Rosen
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
When you Josh Rosen fans see how mediocre the dude really is & Darnold is a finalist to win the Heisman prepare your crow well done.

Darnold>>>>>>>>>>>>Rosen

"But but...his mechanics." Dude looked mediocre most of the time last season when he wasn't injured. Darnold came in and all he did was win games with USC going on a 9 win streak with him at quarterback.
Went to usc so I am a big fan and probably biased. watched every usc game this last season. This kid is the real deal i have no doubt he will go either 1 or 2 in the draft. Watch the penn state game. Kid goes through progression so well, got the accuracy , the arm and the size. Also he is athletic as hell i think runs 4.6 -4.7. Don't link him to prior USC quarterbacks like Barkley, sanchez and lienhart and kessler( those guys all have noodle arms) and that is being a lazy evaluator. Im telling this kid is special. He also has that it factor, clutch as hell and never gets rattled. Always calm even if he is loosing winning or whatever.

After all that rant I would not be bad taking allen or rosen either though. If we have a top three pick you bet your ass we are taking any three of those guys.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Which is nonsense. Darnold is a pure pocket passing prospect, we're not talking about gimmicky Colin Kaepernick here. Darnold has been compared to guys like Luck and Matt Stafford. The big thing that I saw in him this year as a first time starter was poise. Nothing seemed to faze him, no moment was too big for him and you could tell he is a natural born leader. Those intangibles will go a long way with NFL teams, including Shanahan who reportedly was also quite fond of Derek Carr and Jimmy Garoppolo, both of them coming out of spread offenses.

Forget scheme and look at the characteristics and intangibles of each guy, accuracy, quick release, processing, determination and leadership.

I'm going for what he's looking for and that CJ Beathard pick doesn't lie of what kind of QB he likes bud lining up under the center is key for the play action play and Allen and Rosen have the advantage right now. Like coach said he doesn't look at Wins and Losses when evaluating a QB.

I think most of hype on Darnold as a 9 game starter was no game tape on the kid he's gonna struggle this year USC lost a lot of real good talent and teams will be ready for him he's just raw as a QB with bad feet maybe he'll clean in up but spread offense doesn't help IMO
Darnold needs to have another good season for me to like him. He played great in the Rose bowl and it won't surprise me if that ends up being his best game. The only thing I don't like about him is his funky mechanics.
If he can play he can play. Who cares what school he went to? Once upon a time Jeff Tetford QBs were to be avoided at all costs and then Aaron Rodgers happened.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Darnold needs to have another good season for me to like him. He played great in the Rose bowl and it won't surprise me if that ends up being his best game. The only thing I don't like about him is his funky mechanics.

Agree he has that orthodox delivery like Phillip Rivers does. Does need to progress as a QB IMO

I'm going for what he's looking for and that CJ Beathard pick doesn't lie of what kind of QB he likes bud lining up under the center is key for the play action play and Allen and Rosen have the advantage right now. Like coach said he doesn't look at Wins and Losses when evaluating a QB.

I think most of hype on Darnold as a 9 game starter was no game tape on the kid he's gonna struggle this year USC lost a lot of real good talent and teams will be ready for him he's just raw as a QB with bad feet maybe he'll clean in up but spread offense doesn't help IMO

Beathard was a throwway pick in a weak QB draft, if he works out, great, if not, oh well, you didn't lose much. I think if the 49ers have to use a top pick on a QB they will go with the top available talent. If Darnold picks up where he left off, that is clearly him, especially if he continues to gut out wins and make big plays in crucial moments.

Agree he has that orthodox delivery like Phillip Rivers does. Does need to progress as a QB IMO

Yeah but I can live with it if he can throw well. USC offensive prospects scare me.
So with the logic that a lot of guys are applying here, teams shouldn't draft Saquon Barkley too high next year because Ki-Jana Carter and Curtis Enis were highly touted PSU RBs that busted.

Yeah but I can live with it if he can throw well. USC offensive prospects scare me.

That's cause USC prospects are mostly loaded with talent as a team. Wins and Losses doesn't write the Qb's performance in college IMO
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
So with the logic that a lot of guys are applying here, teams shouldn't draft Saquon Barkley too high next year because Ki-Jana Carter and Curtis Enis were highly touted PSU RBs that busted.

I think you are starting to get it.
Share 49ersWebzone