LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 296 users in the forums

Analytical QB Metrics

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by Heroism:
I have this inkling that Kyle is going to like Brad Kaaya a lot more than the webzone does lol.

Same here. IMO i think he's like matt ryan. Good, not great arm. Smart football iq. the biggest red flag is playing under pressure.

dak had the criticisms of a bad QBR under pressure too. Yet dak went from a turnstile O-line at Mississippi State to one of the greatest pro O-lines of the last decade

I don't anticipate us having one of the best OL in football...
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
The more I read about some guys crappy model, or some other new metric being invented, the more I realize that ball velocity is no joke.

There is a strong correlation to throwing slower than 55 and not being successful. There are exceptions, of course, but not many.

Going back to when?

If this analytic was of any actual value and used back when teams were drafting guys like Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Drew Brees they wouldn't have been given the opportunities they have had to play in the NFL. Arm strength is somewhat overrated unless it's really bad like the Ken Dorsey's of the world.
Originally posted by jcs:
The more I read about some guys crappy model, or some other new metric being invented, the more I realize that ball velocity is no joke.

There is a strong correlation to throwing slower than 55 and not being successful. There are exceptions, of course, but not many.

Going back to when?

If this analytic was of any actual value and used back when teams were drafting guys like Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Drew Brees they wouldn't have been given the opportunities they have had to play in the NFL. Arm strength is somewhat overrated unless it's really bad like the Ken Dorsey's of the world.

2008. So not as far back as we'd like.

Also, I think it'd be safe to assume that every generation we go back in time, that cut off ball velocity number would go down.

Interestingly enough, it isn't really overrated or underrated. It just is. It's a data point when evaluating. Some weigh it more than others.

There isn't one qb on the list that threw slower than 54 mph that has amounted to much, if anything at all. A correlation - a strong one.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
You got this for other positions?

Ya - just click the link, hit menu, and then you'll see the link for the Soloman Tho.....errr Edge rankings at the bottom.

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/edge/

I mean I wasn't gonna say anything about Solomon's crazy SPARQ score....

Got Thomas and Bowers as my first two picks in my last mock...just saying lol

That made me LOL
Share 49ersWebzone