LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 346 users in the forums

CB depth

Originally posted by krizay:
Not a big fan of going thomas or hooker but agree with the last portion of your comment
so who is your pick at 2?
Not a big fan of going thomas or hooker but agree with the last portion of your comment

Just curious who is your guy at #2 if none of those 3?
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Been saying this for a while. This kid is a sleeper. Shut down John Ross AND Juju Smith-Schuster

I think he's the second best cornerback in the draft behind Lattimore
Originally posted by genus49:
Yeah I agree with the depth in this class Lattimore at #2 is too big a risk given 1 year of play and some pretty quality players around him.

Much rather go with Thomas or even Hooker at #2 then address corner in round 2/3/4...still quality to be had there.

Am I the only one who realllllly doesn't want Thomas at all? Him or Jonathan Allen are a letdown.

Trade back to later in the top ten and go either LB, WR, RB, or CB.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Am I the only one who realllllly doesn't want Thomas at all? Him or Jonathan Allen are a letdown.

I think everyone wants a trade down but there's got to be another team that wants to move up to make that happen.

Why don't you want him exactly? Just curious though I expect the whole "we drafted 2 DL in a row" will play a part.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
RELAX FELLAS.. THIS IS MY SILENT PLAN EVEN IF WE CAN NOT TRADE DOWN..

1) Leonard Fournette; RB - LSU

2) Jordan Willis; DE - Kansas State (bye bye Lynch)

3) Zay Jones; WR - East Carolina

4a) Tanoh Kpassagnon; DE - Villanova

4b) Nathan Peterman; QB - Pitt
^ Ah Tanoh. Cuz our Dline needs some height.

Why don't you want him exactly? Just curious though I expect the whole "we drafted 2 DL in a row" will play a part.

That certainly factors into it. But it's also the fact that he all of a sudden flew up the draft boards. I'd much rather have an edge rushing linebacker, middle linebacker, cornerback, running back, or wide receiver. Those all weigh as greater needs in my opinion.
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
Even with Brock probably gone I still think we need pass rush before secondary.

Pressured quarterbacks make mistakes which helps your DB's immensely. I think we have a lot of young talent in our secondary who were just a decent coordinator and some edge pressure away from really shining.

Originally posted by Jasta:
Even with Brock probably gone I still think we need pass rush before secondary.

Pressured quarterbacks make mistakes which helps your DB's immensely. I think we have a lot of young talent in our secondary who were just a decent coordinator and some edge pressure away from really shining.

Take the pass rusher in rd 2, and enjoy the rediculous depth at cb with the first pick of the third.
That certainly factors into it. But it's also the fact that he all of a sudden flew up the draft boards. I'd much rather have an edge rushing linebacker, middle linebacker, cornerback, running back, or wide receiver. Those all weigh as greater needs in my opinion.

He didn't just fly up draft boards for no reason. Teams and draftniks watched his tape and saw a guy improving and very consistent. His combine numbers just enforced what the tape showed. This isn't a guy climbing because he killed the combine. Not to mention his last game was about as good a finish to a college career as you can get for a defender.

It's funny to me that you'd be ok drafting RB at #2 when we have Hyde but feel at DE we're good after how awful our defense was last year.

He didn't just fly up draft boards for no reason. Teams and draftniks watched his tape and saw a guy improving and very consistent. His combine numbers just enforced what the tape showed. This isn't a guy climbing because he killed the combine. Not to mention his last game was about as good a finish to a college career as you can get for a defender.

It's funny to me that you'd be ok drafting RB at #2 when we have Hyde but feel at DE we're good after how awful our defense was last year.

I think this year you act like you're recruiting and take who you think helps your program now and long term. Or someone that makes your systems take off.

With that said it seems the third round is the VERY latest we should take a CB. If Ward really does go to FS I'm taking two pass rusher a and two CBs if DJ or Redmond isn't seen as an outside CB long term.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Been saying this for a while. This kid is a sleeper. Shut down John Ross AND Juju Smith-Schuster

I think he's the second best cornerback in the draft behind Lattimore

Agreed....very underrated player and a perfect fit for our new scheme.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/brian-allen?id=2558237 Crazy size, length, speed combo...late rd flyer
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 13, 2017 at 5:45 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone