There are 231 users in the forums

CB depth

Been watching more of Quincy Wilson and he's a stud
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Ahkello Witherspoon, CB Colorado – 6'3" 198lbs – He shut down John Ross? Check. Production: Second-Team All-Pac-12, Measurables: 4.45 40yard, 40.5" vertical, 4.13 shuttle. Tall, fast, jumps out of the building - Remind anyone of a corner that does well in this scheme? In fact, that's who he is compared to. And like him, he will be under-drafted.

13 passes broken up in 2016 tied him at No. 1 in the nation.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-ahkello-witherspoon-cb-colorado/

One of my favorites. I honestly didn't know much about him until I started the draft process. Then all I could wonder is why the hell hasn't he been hyped up???

He is an excellent player.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
One of my favorites. I honestly didn't know much about him until I started the draft process. Then all I could wonder is why the hell hasn't he been hyped up???

He is an excellent player.

Agreed I like both DBs from Colorado
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Which means they'll both go to Seattle
Great thread NY, I'd love to see the niners go CB in the 3rd especially if Ward is a definite to move to FS, hopefully 1 of either Sutton, Colorado kids, Tankersley, or Wilson are still available, early 2nd rd talent dropping to the 3rd bc of how deep and talented the class is..a kid I also like in the 5th is Shaq Griffin out of South Florida..great size and speed..
A little tough on the guy in run support. I'd expect that's something that he'll get better at. "Good in run support" is a nice thing to say about a corner, no doubt. But I'd rather hear something like this:

"Opposing QBs only had a lowly 50.9 QB rating when throwing into WItherspoon's coverage in 2016."

He's hard to throw on (I've seen 26% and 32% either way stupid good) but you'd like more picks. He actually got targeted quite a bit because he doesn't make you pay. Still a terrible tackler and I'm not sure if that will ever improve since it's a lack of desire.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
A little tough on the guy in run support. I'd expect that's something that he'll get better at. "Good in run support" is a nice thing to say about a corner, no doubt. But I'd rather hear something like this:

"Opposing QBs only had a lowly 50.9 QB rating when throwing into WItherspoon's coverage in 2016."

He's hard to throw on (I've seen 26% and 32% either way stupid good) but you'd like more picks. He actually got targeted quite a bit because he doesn't make you pay. Still a terrible tackler and I'm not sure if that will ever improve since it's a lack of desire.

I agree his tackling is a concern no doubt...I wouldn't say it's lack of desire (I haven't read anywhere that he lacks desire). He's a true cover corner who's not gonna help in run support or blitz off the bat (can be taught)

I mean there's a reason he's looked at as a 3rd round pick not 1st...I like Awuzie much more but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the 1st.

I agree his tackling is a concern no doubt...I wouldn't say it's lack of desire (I haven't read anywhere that he lacks desire). He's a true cover corner who's not gonna help in run support or blitz off the bat (can be taught)

I mean there's a reason he's looked at as a 3rd round pick not 1st...I like Awuzie much more but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the 1st.

One of the many reasons I like him is how "low" he is in mock drafts, boards in general. His weaknesses are acceptable to me, because his strengths are amazing: excellent coverage, height (6'3"!), speed (4.4!) and vertical (over 40" !). I might have to go fap.

Our corners are going to be tested, a lot, 1v1 over the top on the outside. This guy would excel defending that.

Read his NFL bio. Unwilling to step downhill, backpedals on tackles, passivity cost them 2 TD's against UM. They poke fun at him saying his tape against the run is not for the weak and he finished like 120th there with some 10 missed tackles. DRC was like that too but he's a game breaker. He's likely a starter somewhere but his tackling may be a thorn in the side for awhile.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 4, 2017 at 7:47 AM ]

Read his NFL bio. Unwilling to step downhill, backpedals on tackles, passivity cost them 2 TD's against UM. They poke fun at him saying his tape against the run is not for the weak and he finished like 120th there with some 10 missed tackles. DRC was like that too but he's a game breaker. He's likely a starter somewhere but his tackling may be a thorn in the side for awhile.

I did read it...I also listen to him talk on NFL radio the other day, he was the one that talked about his issues with tackling and that it was something that he is and will be working hard at correcting.

He's a 3rd rd prospect not a top 10 pick..I'll take a good cover corner that has to work at tackling vs a good tackling corner that can't cover any day

I did read it...I also listen to him talk on NFL radio the other day, he was the one that talked about his issues with tackling and that it was something that he is and will be working hard at correcting.

He's a 3rd rd prospect not a top 10 pick..I'll take a good cover corner that has to work at tackling vs a good tackling corner that can't cover any day

Payed to cover not tackle

I'd rather have both.. He's working on it like he's going to say anything else.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 4, 2017 at 8:34 AM ]

I'd rather have both.

Why not lol
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Been saying this for a while. This kid is a sleeper. Shut down John Ross AND Juju Smith-Schuster

Trys his hardest to not tackle runners. He avoids it actually.

No thanks.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Which means they'll both go to Seattle

Paul Richardson might of scared them away from CU players.

Awuzie looked like a day one pick until the Bowl game. Tedric Thompson would be a perfect fit at FS in the middle rounds. Rangy guy that makes plays.
Share 49ersWebzone