LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

MadDog49er Best 50 Board

Originally posted by JBrack:
I like mocks because it shows a broad spectrum of NFL and team needs knowledge. If you don't know about the NFL then how do you know how good they will be in the NFL? Kinda an oxymoron.

MadDog no offense, I think you are great.

No offense taken. Everyone that follows the draft, paid and unpaid, are amateurs. The draft is a humbling experience, and you only hope to hit more than miss. Even the best miss a TON.
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
I liked how you had Jarrad Davis as your top ranked ILB on this board, how close do you see Cunningham now after review. Massive Davis fan BTW!

Cunningham more. More productive, more of a game changer. Really surprised how many games were impacted by his work

2017 NFL Draft ILB Best Board Grade
Rank Name School Round Grade
1 Haason Reddick Temple 1
2 Zach Cunningham Vanderbilt 1
3 Jarrad Davis Florida 2
4 Raekwon McMillan Ohio St 2
5 Blair Brown Ohio 2

I have Foster as an OLB, not ILB.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 10, 2017 at 2:36 AM ]
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
I liked how you had Jarrad Davis as your top ranked ILB on this board, how close do you see Cunningham now after review. Massive Davis fan BTW!

Cunningham more. More productive, more of a game changer. Really surprised how many games were impacted by his work

2017 NFL Draft ILB Best Board Grade
Rank Name School Round Grade
1 Haason Reddick Temple 1
2 Zach Cunningham Vanderbilt 1
3 Jarrad Davis Florida 2
4 Raekwon McMillan Ohio St 2
5 Blair Brown Ohio 2

I have Foster as an OLB, not ILB.
I really like Mcmillan. He stood out to me like Bosa did in the few Ohio State games I watched.
I know that drafting fullbacks is not sexy, but Sam Rogers of Virginia Tech is a blast to watch. Really, really good player. Creative offensive coach will have a gem on their hands.
MadDog, There are a lot of people that seem to be enamored by Mahomes despite some glaring issues. The kids arm talent is elite and he is very athletic, but as you have mentioned, his footwork is terrible and he tends to force the ball in to coverage too often. In the NFL those weaknesses will be exacerbated against top tier talent. Am I wrong in thinking this kid is at least 2 years away from contributing, if he pans out at all ? Also, I was wondering if you can contrast the top 4 QB's in this draft to Carr when he came out of college. Are any of them even remotely close to where he was when he came in as a rookie ? Thanks for your hard work and input.
Originally posted by thetruthhurts:
MadDog, There are a lot of people that seem to be enamored by Mahomes despite some glaring issues. The kids arm talent is elite and he is very athletic, but as you have mentioned, his footwork is terrible and he tends to force the ball in to coverage too often. In the NFL those weaknesses will be exacerbated against top tier talent. Am I wrong in thinking this kid is at least 2 years away from contributing, if he pans out at all ? Also, I was wondering if you can contrast the top 4 QB's in this draft to Carr when he came out of college. Are any of them even remotely close to where he was when he came in as a rookie ? Thanks for your hard work and input.

Even though Mahomes is my number one, as stated previously that he needs a TON of work. Footwork is step 1. He will need a year to sit and watch, work on mechanics and more. I think he could be a starter by the end of the first year to a team that is going nowhere and get some playing experience before heading into the offseason.

It appears that he has really taken some positive steps this offseason to work on some of these issues, and I see no reason why that progression will not continue. I think the kid loves football and will do anything to be great.

As for contrasting the Big 4 to Carr, it is a challenge. Carr at Fresno State ran so many bubble screens, and throws in the flat, that he was a tough evaluation. His Pro Day was really good and that is where he showed signs that future stardom was a possibility. Like Carr, I think Mahomes, Trubisky and Kizer can make all the throws. I don't think Watson has the same arm, and that drops him down for me in this category. Leadership skills, Carr is a stud, along with Mahomes, Trubisky, and obviously the best winner of all of them, Watson. Kizer had no business losing so many games. Carr is also very strong in going through progressions. I think all of the top guys, except Kizer, are pretty solid, albeit inexperienced, in that realm.

In the end, Carr needed a ton of work to transition to the pro game. With a live arm, a sharp mind, a hard-working spirit, and strong leadership skills, he found a great situation in Oakland to thrive. In the QB blender game, I see Mahomes and Trubisky as the two that will be solid starters at the NFL level, Watson a guy who can manage a game, and then a steep drop-off from there.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 11, 2017 at 6:35 AM ]
Thanks MadDog. I really appreciate the input. Recent mocks suggest Arizona seriously considering Mahomes at pick 13 and Trubisky possibly as high as pick 6 to the Jets. That seems too high for both, but as usual, QB's seem to always bump up higher than their ranking. Have a good one.
So the question comes down to whether we will take Garrett over a QB at #2?
Originally posted by thetruthhurts:
Thanks MadDog. I really appreciate the input. Recent mocks suggest Arizona seriously considering Mahomes at pick 13 and Trubisky possibly as high as pick 6 to the Jets. That seems too high for both, but as usual, QB's seem to always bump up higher than their ranking. Have a good one.

I have the Jets taking Trubisky at 6 and the Chargers selecting Mahomes at 7. The Browns with Watson at 12, and the Texans grieving at 25.
MD you think Schefter's report is just a Browns smokescreen or could you see them going with Mitch ahead of Myles? Would you take Thomas or Hooker in the #2 slot?

I would take Myles if he drops but the lack of physicality and overall effort at times is worrisome. Does he love the game?

• GORO
  • Veteran
I have the Jets taking Trubisky at 6 and the Chargers selecting Mahomes at 7. The Browns with Watson at 12, and the Texans grieving at 25.

Wow My Mock draft looks different than yours.
No offense taken. Everyone that follows the draft, paid and unpaid, are amateurs. The draft is a humbling experience, and you only hope to hit more than miss. Even the best miss a TON.

Definitely, its an inexact science. But I think college scouts get caught up in college performances. I see tons of players drafted by teams that dont even run a scheme that fits their style. Simply because he was the 4th rated DB in the country you just go ahead and pick him.

"Hell he is to good to pass up, we have to take him..."
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
MD you think Schefter's report is just a Browns smokescreen or could you see them going with Mitch ahead of Myles? Would you take Thomas or Hooker in the #2 slot?

I would take Myles if he drops but the lack of physicality and overall effort at times is worrisome. Does he love the game?

So much smoke these days. Maybe hoping a team like the Jets panic and move up to get Trubisky at 1. Flip a coin at 2: I love Thomas and Hooker. Right now, Thomas.

I have the same concern with Garrett about heart. He is my shakiest best overall in a long, long time.
I could easily see a team take Eastern Washington's Samson Ekubam and convert him to ILB. So fast, strong, and with solid instincts. Highly intelligent on and off the field. He is a name to keep in mind as the draft enters Day Three.
Share 49ersWebzone