LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 285 users in the forums

Prediction: What Consensus First Round Prospect Will Fall to Day 2

This seems to happen every year. A handful of consensus Top 25 players end up making it to round 2.

I have a feeling with the depth of this draft it may be even more unpredictable so think it will be fun to make predictions.

Here are my 3:

1- RB- Dalvin Cook - Deep RB class and unimpressive combine lead to Cook falling out of rd 1 despite being a bonafide star RB.
2- TE- David Njoku - More of a projection based on upside as a first rounder. Being a deep class and lack of success with first round TE's drops him.
3- LB/S- Jabrill Peppers - Teams struggle to project him to a position so he falls due to the depth in this draft of impact players that don't need to project.

Will be fun to come back here on day 2 of the draft and see who was right (will also probably be our wish list for day 2).
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Mar 21, 2017 at 6:16 PM ]
Teez Tabor
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
This seems to happen every year. A handful of consensus Top 25 players end up making it to round 2.

I have a feeling with the depth of this draft it may be even more unpredictable so think it will be fun to make predictions.

Here are my 3:

1- RB- Dalvin Cook - Deep RB class and unimpressive combine lead to Cook falling out of rd 1 despite being a bonafide star RB.
2- TE- David Njoku - More of a projection based on upside as a first rounder. Being a deep class and lack of success with first round TE's drops him.
3- LB/S- Jabrill Peppers - Teams struggle to project him to a position so he falls due to the depth in this draft of impact players that don't need to project.

Will be fun to come back here on day 2 of the draft and see who was right (will also probably be our wish list for day 2).

I agree on Cook and Peppers, but I wouldn't call Peppers a consensus top 25 pick - a lot of people expect him to fall out of the first round. Cook s**t the bed at the combine and McCaffrey had a great combine, so it wouldn't shock me if McCaffrey is picked ahead of Cook. There are enough good RBs in the draft that teams may be fine waiting on the position. Peppers is another good candidate given his lack of size/length and the lack of turnovers forced in college. He's being looked at as a safety and he's not that impressive of a safety prospect in my opinion.

I think there's a chance Watson or Kizer fall out of the first round. I don't think 4 QBs will get taken in the first round, so if teams really like Mahomes, it could push either Watson or Kizer to 33 or 34. Trubisky is the only one I think is comfortably in the first round, but I doubt he gets taken in the top 5 and the Jets may not even want a QB at 6.

McShay thinks Peppers is a 2nd round pick.

"I finally got around to doing his tape and evaluating both last year and this year -- because you have to watch both to see what he is," McShay said. "I thought he could be a (Arizona Cardinals linebacker) Deone Bucannon for a while, but the more I studied their tape, he's just not as physical or as strong as Bucannon. I don't know that he can move inside.

"Now we're talking about a guy that can play nickel, outside the box and then has to hold up in coverage more, in terms of deep coverage, and I thought he struggled when he was forced to quickly turn and run, change direction, those sort of things. He's fast on a straight line and he can make up some ground. But he's really grabby and handsy and he really has to hold on to tight ends and backs that he's covering. You can get away with it in college when the ball's not in the air; you can't in the NFL. So I think he has a lot of developing to do.

"I think he could be a late first-round pick. Who knows? He could go in the middle of the first round. But in my opinion, he's a second-round player that you can get a lot of versatility out of, but you're going to have to have a plan for him and develop him in that role at the next level, because he's had to do so many things in college."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2017/03/15/michigan-football-jabrill-peppers/99211724/
Share 49ersWebzone