LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Rank your top 10 choices for #2

Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by 9erred:
In what universe do you live. When walsh traded the number 3 pick to washington for two low first rounders it happened at the combine. Last year the pick 1 and pick 2 where traded for well before the draft. Outside of the Julio Jones trade many years ago I cannot think of a draft day trade that involved a top pick going while they were on the clock

Rivers and Eli draft is the other one I can think of.

That was already worked out, they just had to make sure Rivers was on the board.
Assuming the OP meant no trading down (I want to trade down)

1. Garrett: Best player and biggest need. Derp.
2. Thomas: 2nd most disruptive front 7 player in the draft. Coaches are paid to figure how/when to play him
3. Allen: His arthritis won't affect him as a player. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug. His life will suck when he's 50, but that's his call. Probably have awesome treatments available to multi-millionaires by then.
4. Davis: My favorite, most-versatile WR in the draft. Shanny's offense works best w/a true #1. This is the guy, imo. (I'd like to get him t 6-10 in a trade back)
5. Mahomes: He's my #1 QB. I'd prefer they get him much later (trade back 2x), but if their only opportunities are at 2 and 34, then the only certain shot at getting him is at 2. He'll break your heart by trying to do the impossible and failing, but he'll make you kiss a stranger at a bar when he attemps the impossible and succeeds. I'm guessing Shanahan can corral some of the wildness while nurturing the playmaker.
6. Hooker: Labrum issues and bad angles concern me, but I think the angles will be corrected w/more playing time. Dude can range at FS. Don't love him at #2
7. Reddick: Dude can play. He might be too light for LEO, but he's a rocket off the edge and he's glue in man coverage. Want him after a couple trades back from 2
8. Foster: I don't like the Willis comparison at all, but the kid can run and hit. Not sure where he fits w/Bowman and the Smith signing. Idiotic blow-up at Indy is concerning
9. Williams: Davis won't be gone, so this vote is kind of silly, but he's also got the ability to function as a #1 WR, but w/less versatility, imo.
10. Trubisky: I like him and Watson about the same, but there's more growth potential in a guy that has only played a year, imo. Watson scares me throwing between the numbers. Trubisky has nearly as many "WTF?!?" moments as Mahomes, without nearly as many "OMFG!!! DID YOU SEE THAT???" moments.
Originally posted by JBrack:
In what universe do you live. When walsh traded the number 3 pick to washington for two low first rounders it happened at the combine. Last year the pick 1 and pick 2 where traded for well before the draft. Outside of the Julio Jones trade many years ago I cannot think of a draft day trade that involved a top pick going while they were on the clock

That was already worked out, they just had to make sure Rivers was on the board.

My guess is they are holding out hope that the Browns will pass on Garrett for a QB, and if not then they will trade the pick.
Originally posted by acrownlessking:
Nice thread...thought about this in the shower yesterday... only i did a top 3.

1) Fournette - If he is on the board, which he will be, it's going to be hard not to take someone of his calibur. Not considering needs or scheme, he is scary addition to our offense
2) Foster - Without Off field troubles / concerns, i think we can build a solid Defense around this kid. Run D will be a lot better.
3) Williams- Best WR in class
4) Lattimore - Him and Rashard Robinson as our starting CBs instantly gives us a better defense
5) Garrett
6) Allen
7)Watson
8) Tribs

9) Thomas
10) Hooker

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

My guess is they are holding out hope that the Browns will pass on Garrett for a QB, and if not then they will trade the pick.

I want to trade the pick, I just don't see the demand for a team needing to trade up. The most likely scenario to me is Cleveland trading up from #12 to #2. But that isn't very likely either.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I want to trade the pick, I just don't see the demand for a team needing to trade up. The most likely scenario to me is Cleveland trading up from #12 to #2. But that isn't very likely either.

Maybe, Chicago and the Jets are supposedly smitten with Trubisky.

I think Chicago would be Okay staying put. They will land a top QB or dlineman or whatever else they want at 3.

The Jets are intriguing but they just fired a bunch of assistants including OC Chan Gailey. Does Todd Bowles and the FO want to sacrifice this draft and hang their hat on a rookie quarterback with one year of experience in college? I just don't see it...
Originally posted by acrownlessking:
Nice thread...thought about this in the shower yesterday... only i did a top 3.

1) Fournette - If he is on the board, which he will be, it's going to be hard not to take someone of his calibur. Not considering needs or scheme, he is scary addition to our offense
2) Foster - Without Off field troubles / concerns, i think we can build a solid Defense around this kid. Run D will be a lot better.
3) Williams- Best WR in class
4) Lattimore - Him and Rashard Robinson as our starting CBs instantly gives us a better defense
5) Garrett
6) Allen
7)Watson
8) Tribs

9) Thomas
10) Hooker

Garrett fifth in line? You serious?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I think Chicago would be Okay staying put. They will land a top QB or dlineman or whatever else they want at 3.

The Jets are intriguing but they just fired a bunch of assistants including OC Chan Gailey. Does Todd Bowles and the FO want to sacrifice this draft and hang their hat on a rookie quarterback with one year of experience in college? I just don't see it...

They did it before with Sanchez.
1) Fournette: if we don't pick fournette our front office is retarded. that dude is a monster and a complete game changer. don't rely on just the highlight reel, check out every run. yes the Alabama game was bad but hes definitely worth it. a backfield with Hyde and Fournette........ wtf?
2) Reuben Foster: he could be a solid replacement for bowman which I believe is bound to happen within 1 or 2 years. Im kind of skeptical because he had a lot of help on that defense and was often out of position but we need a ILB asap.
3) Myles Garrett: he will be gone and thankfully so. The hype machine is on full tilt with this guy. I get it, his physical traits are nuts but im not ready to give up on our last two 1st round picks who are DEs. cant pick DEs 3 years in a row...
[ Edited by 49glory on Mar 20, 2017 at 2:22 PM ]

Imo there aren't ten guy's worthy of number two. . Only players I'd see as the second pick would be. .

Malik Hooker
Solomon Thomas
Jonathan Allen
Leonard Fournette
Lattimore
Adams

That's assuming Myles Garrett is gone..
For us Malik Hooker makes the most sense.
I'm convinced Hooker will be our selection either with pick number 2 or a slight trade down in the top 6.

They did it before with Sanchez.

You got a point there. The Jets are known for their blunders in the draft or otherwise.

Personally I like Trubisky and I think he looks as good as any throwing QB I have seen. And he isn't a 4 year starter either which is impressive. I think if a team really likes him the risk is most certainly worth the reward. Its a tough pill to swallow though. The facts are the facts. He is a one year wonder at this point.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
You got a point there. The Jets are known for their blunders in the draft or otherwise.

Personally I like Trubisky and I think he looks as good as any throwing QB I have seen. And he isn't a 4 year starter either which is impressive. I think if a team really likes him the risk is most certainly worth the reward. Its a tough pill to swallow though. The facts are the facts. He is a one year wonder at this point.

Or he can be Aaron Rodgers, who only had two years of experience at Cal.
I don't think there are 10 players worthy of a #2 pick. I think it's likely Lynch will trade down. But, the guys I'd consider:

Thomas (contrary to some, I think he'd make a very good LEO)
Allen (his shoulder issues bother me, though)
Hooker (deep FS...Ward stays at CB)
Humphrey/Lattimore (love Humphrey's all-around game & his size; Lattimore's arguably the better cover CB)
Barnett (I know I'll get some crap for this guy, but if you look at his production it's been at the top & consistent)
Williams (early for a WR, but he's the best in this class, IMHO)
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
i hope we draft Hooker.

I know what jersey the wife will be getting for xmas.

Share 49ersWebzone