There are 226 users in the forums

What would you give up to trade up to #1 for Myles Garrett?

What would you give up to trade up to #1 for Myles Garrett?

Just curious how other people feel about this and how much that Rams win potentially cost us in the draft.

I would give up most or all of our 2017 draft class for Myles Garrett which is the equivalent of our #2 pick and another first round draft pick in the 10-15 range based on the draft value chart. That win against the Rams cost us a 1st round pick as far as I'm concerned. We have money to spend on free agents and adding Garrett would change our defense. I'd prefer not to give up a future first round pick, because I'd like to keep a high first round pick next year to draft a QB. We'd be sacrificing the 2017 season by not drafting a QB or trading for one, but getting a higher draft pick next year and fixing the defense may be worth it.
Nothing. Too many needs.
Originally posted by MeddlingKids:
Nothing. Too many needs.

This X100!
1 player cant do tha work of 6-8 players ....
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
1 player cant do tha work of 6-8 players ....

Instead of drafting ~3 starters, we'd be drafting one guy we know we can build around. Those remaining spots would be filled by free agents/young guys on our roster we should look at before deciding whether to resign them next season. It's foolish to think we're going to come away from the draft with 6-8 decent players even with as many holes as we have on the roster.

One option would be to trade most of our draft capital (our picks in the first 4 rounds) and use the later round picks to bring in bodies to compete because we need those too. We can just as easily bring in free agents and undrafted free agents to compete though. In an ordinary draft, I wouldn't give up a ton to move up one spot, but Garrett is head and shoulders above any prospect in the draft and it would cost a lot to trade up for him.
Mike Ditka says hi!
[ Edited by English on Mar 5, 2017 at 9:52 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
Mik Ditka says hi!

Seriously. This would be a silly mistake given the state of our roster.
Nothing, because he will be on the board at number two.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Do you think DW edged ahead of Mitch or is Mitch's ceiling worth taking that gamble on at #1?

But you wouldn't know this when you asked the Browns to trade! And of course if they weren't going to take him they would trade down with huge glee!

So who are they taking MD?

• jcs
  • Veteran
Nothing...let the cards fall where they fall. We have too many holes to give up a third of our draft just to move up one spot.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Just curious how other people feel about this and how much that Rams win potentially cost us in the draft.

I would give up most or all of our 2017 draft class for Myles Garrett which is the equivalent of our #2 pick and another first round draft pick in the 10-15 range based on the draft value chart. That win against the Rams cost us a 1st round pick as far as I'm concerned. We have money to spend on free agents and adding Garrett would change our defense. I'd prefer not to give up a future first round pick, because I'd like to keep a high first round pick next year to draft a QB. We'd be sacrificing the 2017 season by not drafting a QB or trading for one, but getting a higher draft pick next year and fixing the defense may be worth it.

You really think its worth giving up THIS big of a haul for an edge rusher? I just dont see it given the many needs of the Niners. In fact, really the smart thing would be to trade down, not up, and get a boat load of picks. In this draft, with so many studs, that makes a lot more sense.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

You really think its worth giving up THIS big of a haul for an edge rusher? I just dont see it given the many needs of the Niners. In fact, really the smart thing would be to trade down, not up, and get a boat load of picks. In this draft, with so many studs, that makes a lot more sense.

Yes, but it probably makes more sense for another team to trade up for him that has fewer needs. I'm not proposing giving up 3 first round picks like some of the trades for top QBs. This is still a fraction of what the Colts could have gotten for trading the pick when Andrew Luck was available - I recognize the fact that top pass rushers are worth a lot less than top edge rushers.

I'd love to trade back assuming Garrett is gone, but we're not going to get a boat load of picks, because Garrett will be off the board. There isn't a clear cut #2 prospect after Garrett, because Jonathan Allen has medical concerns. Why would anyone trade with us when there's a good shot whoever they want will be available later (or a player of similar value will be)?
3-4 extra sacks a year vs upgrading 4-5 major holes on the roster?
Originally posted by English:

But you wouldn't know this when you asked the Browns to trade! And of course if they weren't going to take him they would trade down with huge glee!

So who are they taking MD?

I sure hope MD is right on this one. I'll forgive C.Kelly and Kaep for the Lambs game if this happens.
Share 49ersWebzone