There are 239 users in the forums

Draft logic!

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by fan49:
It's a polarizing topic, but I'm fully onboard with taking Trubisky/Watson/Kizer at #2 if Garrett is gone. And if they decide to go in a different direction, then Thomas.

you like dumpster diving?

haha, . Not particularly, but I also don't like not having a FQB on the roster. And there does seem to be a substantial fall-off after the #1 pick. It's obviously a risk, but it's a risk by not taking one of these guys and they turn into a FQB. A pro-bowl defender (which we can all agree is what we'd be choosing if we go in a different direction) is not even close to as valuable as a FQB. Again, it's a risk, but currently I am all for taking one of those guys.

I have to disagree. It is widely known as a bad QB class. So why should we take the risk this year? Next year is a better opportunity to get a fqb
Draft Quality players. I want stars not duds and I'll be happy. Whoever they maybe.
It's a polarizing topic, but I'm fully onboard with taking Trubisky/Watson/Kizer at #2 if Garrett is gone. And if they decide to go in a different direction, then Thomas.

haha, . Not particularly, but I also don't like not having a FQB on the roster. And there does seem to be a substantial fall-off after the #1 pick. It's obviously a risk, but it's a risk by not taking one of these guys and they turn into a FQB. A pro-bowl defender (which we can all agree is what we'd be choosing if we go in a different direction) is not even close to as valuable as a FQB. Again, it's a risk, but currently I am all for taking one of those guys.

I have to disagree. It is widely known as a bad QB class. So why should we take the risk this year? Next year is a better opportunity to get a fqb

The problem is that Watson and Matt Barkely were supposed to be slam dunks. You just don't know. And hopefully we won't get another chance at #2 overall. Again, I'm not saying it's a slam dunk, but I'm ok with going that direction or taking Thomas or trading down. I don't see the value in a DB w/ the #2 pick.

If you remember correctly they said the same thing about the Alex Smith/Aaron Rodgers draft and one of them turned into a future hall of famer. So you won't know if it's a good QB class or not until they put on the big boy pads for a few years.
Pt. 1 If we re-sign Hodges I don't see that it would preclude Lynch & Shanahan from drafting a LB in the 1st rd if that's who they feel is the BPA.

Pt. 2 I get your point WRT Garrett...in the comparison of him & Barnett it's been well documented less than half of Garrett's sacks his last 2 seasons were against SEC opponents, while 29 of Barnett's 32 sacks were. Level of competition is a valid grading point.

Pt. 3 If the Browns take Garrett, I think Jonathan Allen is the guy to pick. I fully expect Lynch to sign another FA DL, but even so, getting a youngster like Allen is still very important. He can grow with Armstead & Buckner which gives the Niners 3 core studs for years to come. I also think trading down is the right move...the more good players Lynch can get, the better.

Pt. 4 Earl Thomas is listed at 5-10, 202. Ward's listed at 6', 193. If they decide to put Ward at FS, he could play @ 200. I disagree he doesn't have the range to play that position in the 4-3 Under defense. Thomas is one of the best FS in the league...and a big reason he is has a lot to do with the guys who play in front of him. We don't know exactly who'll be playing in front of Ward. So, to say he can't play FS in Saleh's defense is premature.

Pt. 5 I'm not one who's clamoring for Jeffery...I agree, he's a very talented, big WR. He's also had some off-field & injury issues. Shanahan's said he's not impressed with the WR corps he inherited...and I totally agree. So, I'm championing for Lynch to sign both Garcon and Terrelle Pryor. Garcon's tank is nowhere near empty and he could show the younger receivers how it's done. Pryor's coming into his own as a receiver. For something close to what it'll take to sign Jeffrey, the Niners could arguably get those two quality WR's.

Pt. 6 I agree WRT Kilgore. Fortunately, there are some excellent interior OL in this draft. Whoever they get probably wouldn't start early on & that's ok. There's also Tretter in FA. Whichever way they attack it, they do need to address the C position. Ideally, they draft a player who can play both C and OG positions.

Pt. 7 Juszycz is an excellent FB and we'd be fortunate to have him. So is DeMarco...I'd think Shanahan would want his guy. Whoever they decide on, we'll have a top FB next year. It's an essential part of any WCO.

Pt. 8 Having a swing OT who can play LT is big. Not sure yet if Theus can be that guy. Shanahan wants OL who can move....so my guess is they'll draft a couple. I'm not sure if there's a FA OT Coach would want that meets his criteria.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Hodges's wouldn't stop us from drafting a LB, neither would Armstrong.

Agree

I don't think we'd use #2 on a LB.
Food for thought, just one mans opinion,( but I like it )

The Huddle Report
Value Board Talent Board Mock Drafts Archives Contact Us

Drew's Draft Rules
By Drew Boylhart

1. Workouts should confirm what you already know.

2. How a player plays the game is just as important as any stat.

3. Numbers don't lie, but they don't tell the whole story.

4. Character is as important as talent.

5. Your team will not win if they draft criminals.

6. The Combine should be for medical evaluations and for coaches to interview players on coachability — not to evaluate talent or second guess scout evaluations

7. Scouts evaluate talent; they do not draft, or slot, players.

8. Coaches coach talent. History proves most, if not all are not good talent evaluators.

9. GM's & coaches place the value of a player to the team; scouts cannot because they are too close to the player's profile.

10. Many times, scouts plant "inside" details to manipulate and gather more information.

11. Don't just draft a guard. Draft centers who can play guard and guards that can play center.

12. Drafting a franchise left tackle improves three positions: LT, LG & QB. Drafting a franchise center improves, center, guards and
confidence on the rest of the line as well as the offensive coordinator and QB. I love drafting offensive linemen!

13. I love drafting offensive lineman, but you should be able to find a RG standing in the check-out line at Walmart. If he doesn't play center or left guard, let the other teams draft him.

14. Pass rushing is not a specialty. It should be included in the evaluation of the DE or LB position in their totality.

15. Tackling, or lack thereof, is a priority and the first skill I look for when evaluating all defensive positions. A CB can cover like a blanket, but if he doesn't want to tackle, he is worthless.

16. Insisting your team has to draft a certain player or the whole draft is a failure is a trap. The 2-board system shows you the talent in every round. No need to panic.

17. Every round must be looked at like it is as important as the first round. The goal must be to draft talent and value in every round. No more Mr. Irrelevant. It's an insult to the player selected.

18. Bad teams in top ten should trade down whenever possible for more picks in the "present" draft and not for future picks. Future picks are for future GM's and coaches.

19. Never trade out of the top ten when you need a QB.

20. Sell the farm (mother, wife included) to move up in a draft if you think a QB is a franchise QB and your teams needs one. Just ask for visitation rights for mom and a conjugal visit for the wife!

21. Drafting BPA is nice to say, but don't believe it; pretty much everyone is drafting for needs.

22. If a Head Coach blows a top ten selection because of character issues, you can bet he will be fired in about three years — sometimes sooner.

23. Don't believe the crap that this is a passing league. There are maybe five franchise QB's in the league. The rest need the threat of a good RB to be effective.

24. WR's and RB's can be found in any round in the draft, but there are exceptions to every rule.

25. LB's do not have to run a 4.30 forty. They just have to be smart enough to not to get beat by an opponent who can run a 4.30 forty.
Originally Posted 4/16/2012
Share 49ersWebzone