LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

Jerry Ugokwe-OT-William and Mary

Very intriguing late round tackle. He's pretty raw, didn't start playing football until late in high-school but is regarded as both a hard worker and highly intelligent. Has started every season at W&M and combines good athletic ability with a very tough demeanor. Clearly has the size and the length, at the Combine he just measured in at 6'7", 320 with 35 inch arms, he looks like he could be a nice project to develop and bring along as potential future starter at right tackle.

Ugokwe is a cerebral offensive tackle from a school known for its academic excellence. It goes without saying Ugokwe has the 'intangible' qualities NFL teams seek in their million-dollar investments, and at 6-foot-8, 305-pounds he looks the part too. He has great feet and lateral movement and has the in-game mean streak so many staffs crave. He's still working on technique -- which is what makes him so intriguing as a prospect. Add refined technique to the intangibles and athleticism and this could be a lineman with quite an NFL career ahead of him.

And if it sounds like a broken record, that's because it has been said so many times when it comes to FCS prospects: Ugokwe was a walk-on when he came to William & Mary. He is of Nigerian descent -- his father Dr. Jerry Ugokwe was the former Nigerian ambassador to Austria -- and admits he was still learning the game when he came to campus after first playing the game as a junior in high school. He finished his college career with 42 starts -- with 35 consecutive starts to end his career, all coming at right tackle. He did start at left tackle as a redshirt freshman, so he brings some versatility to his resume.

Ugokwe is projected by the scouting site NFLDraftScout as a 7th round pick to high end free agent level prospect, but there's still two months left to drive that stock upwards. A pro day at William & Mary on March 16 will follow the combine.

He feels good about the competition level he's faced. The Colonial Athletic Association is clearly one of the top conferences in the FCS, with recent national champion James Madison coming from its ranks. In his career, Ugokwe has started games against Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Virginia and West Virginia -- and held his own.

"We play a lot of really good teams in the CAA -- and we play FBS teams every year," Ugokwe said. "I really had some good matchups. When i was a freshman in my first start, I went up against (2014 NFL Draft pick) Will Clarke from West Virginia. I felt like a stood my ground. This past year I matched up with Bradley Chubb at N.C. State and felt that was probably my best game of the year. I will rise up. I have a chip on my shoulder approach. The more and more I started, the more I realized I could do this if I just put my head down and work. That's what I did."

Indeed, Ugokwe will do whatever it takes this week to impress. He doesn't mind being a piece of meat for a week ... he doesn't mind any of it.

"I'll meet all day with the teams if they want to meet all day with me," Ugokwe said.

http://herosports.com/news/jerry-ugokwe-nfl-draft-combine-william-and-mary-offensive-line-fcs-ajaj
Share 49ersWebzone