LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Donnel Pumphrey RB SDSU

1st team All American, Heisman Trophy finalist and FBS rushing record holder, downside 5'8" and 169 lbs.

I think he'd be awesome in the outside zone scheme, and cheap as people will balk at his size.

I hope Lynch/Shanahan throw away the measuring tape and scales and just go get some football players.

From Bleacher report https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2682495-donnel-pumphrey-breaks-record-for-most-rushing-yards-in-fbs-history.amp.html

Thoughts?
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:30 AM ]
He's fun to watch for his size speed and power..good in the screen game and receiver
, not sure where he's predicted to be drafted maybe 5th round..definitely worth a look if the niners don't go with a RB earlier..
Weighed in at 179 lbs, I don't think he'll blaze in the 40, but should crush agility tests. I think he drops pretty low due to size concerns, maybe even to the 5th
After his puny bench and as predicted average 40, I think he will be lucky to get drafted. I still hope we take a punt with a 6th or 7th rounder
He is like a Darren Sproles. Small but a very effective change of pace and speed back. He plays faster IMO than the speed he measures. Plus he did not really measure slow in speed. He just plays faster than that. He is a tremendous return man who can be used in kick returns and punt returns. He is better than you think. He is shifty, very quick, excellent vision and his long game speed is probably better than how he tests. Plus he did not test that bad. Despite being of small size he runs between the tackles much better than you think and has good vision and instincts. He always chooses the right hole even if it is not the hole that was called.

Donnel Pumphrey is better than you think. In a specific set of roles he can help a team. He can also catch pretty good out of the backfield. So 3rd down change of pace back who can catch, a shifty and quick change of pace back and kick returns and punt returns. He is good at all of those BTW. He also plays bigger than his size IMO. He runs pretty hard despite being small and is not afraid to go in middle very hard. I have seen him so many times here in San Diego and always came away impressed. He is not to be underestimated because of his size.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Mar 4, 2017 at 12:34 AM ]
Cheers San Diego, how far do you think his combine will drop him?

Also most power teams, or Parcells "Big guys, destroy little guys" disciples won't even consider him
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Cheers San Diego, how far do you think his combine will drop him?

Also most power teams, or Parcells "Big guys, destroy little guys" disciples won't even consider him

I don't think he really did anything that bad at the combine to drop him. He is quick and fast enough. He plays faster than that timed speed IMO. Of course the teams that believe in Big Guys won't likely draft him. But even they need a change of pace back and a quick shifty guy and a guy who can catch out of the backfield. Plus kick return and punt return. He didn't really measure that tiny at the combine. People knew he was a smaller guy. But Sproles is not real big either. He certainly has been an effective NFL player. In the right set of roles I believe he can have a successful NFL career. He's not an every down pound it up the middle back. But I don't think anybody claimed he was.

He will likely go in the later rounds. But it's possible he will be better than people expect in some roles that suit him. I think he will be drafted. I don't agree with the guys who say he won't be drafted. I believe he can be drafted in 7 rounds for sure. What round? IDK? Probably the later ones based on being a bit small and not an every down back. But in the right set of roles I really think he can help a team significantly. He may even be underestimated IMO. He is very shifty, quick and fast with real good vision and instincts. He runs harder and with no fear than his small stature would suggest. He will pound right up the middle with zero fear and is actually pretty good at it based in vision, instincts and quickness and shiftiness. His return ability is tremendous.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He is like a Darren Sproles. Small but a very effective change of pace and speed back. He plays faster IMO than the speed he measures. Plus he did not really measure slow in speed. He just plays faster than that. He is a tremendous return man who can be used in kick returns and punt returns. He is better than you think. He is shifty, very quick, excellent vision and his long game speed is probably better than how he tests. Plus he did not test that bad. Despite being of small size he runs between the tackles much better than you think and has good vision and instincts. He always chooses the right hole even if it is not the hole that was called.

Donnel Pumphrey is better than you think. In a specific set of roles he can help a team. He can also catch pretty good out of the backfield. So 3rd down change of pace back who can catch, a shifty and quick change of pace back and kick returns and punt returns. He is good at all of those BTW. He also plays bigger than his size IMO. He runs pretty hard despite being small and is not afraid to go in middle very hard. I have seen him so many times here in San Diego and always came away impressed. He is not to be underestimated because of his size.

Where do you see him falling to - 6th??
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Where do you see him falling to - 6th??

I think he can be picked in something like round 5 - 6. I believe he can have a role in the NFL. He and his team just need to know what those roles are. I think he can be successful in the right roles.

You know him pretty well in the media there I would guess. As he is from Las Vegas. Both San Diego and Las Vegas people know him pretty well.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Mar 4, 2017 at 10:56 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone