LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 390 users in the forums

Evan Engram-TE-Ole Miss

Was surprised to find that he didn't have his own thread. Receiving threats of any kind are a major need for this team and I think Engram if drafted would allow for a nice 1-2 punch at TE with McDonald.

His role in the NFL at least initially would be as a pure move tight end, he's a super athletic tight end that would be a matchup issue for whoever happened to be defending him, not great size but a thick build with room to add more muscle, too fast for most linebackers to cover him and too big for most defensive backs, he's been frequently compared to Jordan Reed and definitely has a similar sort of skillset. His blocking is a work in progress and something that he would need to really work on but the 49ers would still have McDonald to handle the more traditional responsibilities of a tight end.

Yesssssss. I love Engram. I would be ecstatic if we took him in the 2nd round.

Since he's basically a big wide receiver playing tight end, I wouldn't be surprised to see some teams want him to transition to WR.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 26, 2017 at 12:41 PM ]
One of my favorite players in the draft. Was hoping he'd be around at the top of the 3rd during the year, but his momentum is picking up through this draft season.
Rather get a WR in the second IMO. Kupp or Zay Jones if no Williams/Davis.
Can the guy block?
You know what you are getting with Engram. He is a move tight end, who gives little in the way of blocking or pass protection. But, why would anyone keep him in to block. He is a stud down the field and complete match-up problem for any defense. You simply won't get the fully rounded game as you would with Howard.
I would love this guy in the 3rd round yes we need another weapon at TE
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
Can the guy block?

For a WR? Yes. For a TE? He's not great at it.

If this guy really works out, he's probably going to be something similar to either Jimmy Graham or Alshon Jeffery. I don't really know if he's a TE or a WR at this point.
Evan Engram: 6-3 3/8, 234

Bigger than I thought he'd be
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
For a WR? Yes. For a TE? He's not great at it.

If this guy really works out, he's probably going to be something similar to either Jimmy Graham or Alshon Jeffery. I don't really know if he's a TE or a WR at this point.

This. With out FA pick ups what we are missing is the physical big WR. Engram seems to have the athleticism for the role. Why not just draft him and teach him both the Z WR and TE role so we can be really multiple in our offense and formations?

Want this guy
Would be an absolute steal in round 2 after Garretr IMO 😀
him or corey davis please.
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Would be an absolute steal in round 2 after Garretr IMO 😀

I agree. People focus on him being a TE instead of a WR, I don't care much. Look at him as a 6'3", 235 pound WR that ran a 4.42 40 time if it helps. He's going to present a matchup issue for any defense that faces him whether you put him out wide or have him running out of the slot.
3. EVAN ENGRAM, Mississippi (6-3½, 235, 4.39, 1-2): Compared by scouts to some oversized WRs and undersized TEs. "He's like (Aaron) Hernandez, Jordan Reed," said one. "He can play slot, smooth athlete. This is where the modern-day offense is going. May slide up there in the first round." Ran one of the fastest 40's ever by a TE and scored 26 on the Wonderlic. "Amazing speed and separation," said another scout. "He can probably play receiver. He's maybe 240 soaking wet. He maybe can do some back-side stuff (blocking) but point of attack he's going to get crushed." Caught 162 passes for 2,320 (14.3) and 15 TDs. "Better college football player than Jordan Reed," said a third scout. "He's a matchup nightmare on quicker slot defenders. He's in and out. Caught the ball well. Not afraid (to block) but that's not his forte. He'll be in the slot all the time." From Powder Springs, Ga.
Share 49ersWebzone