LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

LEO pass rush

Originally posted by Heroism:
This guy clearly doesn't understand what he's talking about. He keeps bringing up the 40 times as if it's 40 yards between the weakside end and the quarterback. Lol

Short shuttle, 20 yd and 3 cone drill are whats important when rushing a passer. Top end speed does absolutely no good when the qb is 5 yds away from you. It doesn't do any good when you dont make tackles on defense either.

Thomas will and does have every attribute to play the Leo. The combine will show that. If he loses 8-10 lbs he is almost the exact same size as Avril. Is he to strong to play Leo? Because he certainly has the physical tools and motor.
[ Edited by JBrack on Mar 1, 2017 at 10:56 PM ]
Originally posted by JBrack:

Avril had 11.5 sacks last year but that isn't setting the world on fire either. He averaged 3/4 of a sack to go along with a whopping 1.25 tackles per game. Thats the standard? No thank you, we can do better.

We can? That's naively optimistic.
This guy clearly doesn't understand what he's talking about. He keeps bringing up the 40 times as if it's 40 yards between the weakside end and the quarterback.

"Bend is overrated"

Yup, all I need to know about who I was discussing with Lol.

Saw your edit. Bending is overrated. Thats about all Avril can do. I would call him average at best. For his position maybe below avgerage. For his career he avgerages 0.5 sacks a game and 1.4 tackles a game.

What I'm clearly saying is that Solomon Thomas could outperform Avril tomorrow so you can't say he can't play Leo.
[ Edited by JBrack on Mar 1, 2017 at 11:13 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Avril had 11.5 sacks last year but that isn't setting the world on fire either. He averaged 3/4 of a sack to go along with a whopping 1.25 tackles per game. Thats the standard? No thank you, we can do better.

If we draft Solomon Thomas lock it down.

Thomas looks like a great player, but saying he'll be better than Cliff Avril is unrealistic. Especially as a pass rusher. Solomon isn't exactly Von Miller.

Maybe if he dropped 15 pounds.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Mar 1, 2017 at 11:44 PM ]

Thomas looks like a great player, but saying he'll be better than Cliff Avril is unrealistic. Especially as a pass rusher. Solomon isn't exactly Von Miller.

Maybe if he dropped 15 pounds.

Solomon had 8.5 sacks last year and he wasn't asked to rush the passer every down. If he was in the same system as Garrett at A&M he would have scary sack numbers. He was so dominate that Stanford just put him everywhere. We need pressure up the middle, put Solomon in there. We need edge pressure put Solomon in there.

This guy is a complete football player and his versatility just makes him that much more valuable. Need a kick blocked? Put Solomon in there.

He is the total package and I haven't been this excited about a prospect in our grasp ever.
[ Edited by JBrack on Mar 2, 2017 at 12:28 AM ]
This guy clearly doesn't understand what he's talking about. He keeps bringing up the 40 times as if it's 40 yards between the weakside end and the quarterback.

"Bend is overrated"

Yup, all I need to know about who I was discussing with Lol.

While I totally agree that he's not a LEO (he lacks bend and it seems he has more problems on the edge then in the interior as far as pass rush goes)

He did reportedly run a 4.09 20 yard shuttle

https://twitter.com/clevezirm/status/829105684461465601

Von miller ran a 4.06 and bosa ran a 4.21...the combine is gonna be interesting for this kid.
Share 49ersWebzone