LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

SAM OLB

Originally posted by Heroism:
Might want to do some research about our scheme because none of that applies to the SAM in this defense. Imagine peppers trying to set an edge at 205 lbs.

Michigan homers have officially surpassed the Ohio("THE Ohio State") State homers on here. For f**ks sake.
I actually wouldn't hate Peppers at SAM, or at pick 34. He's small for the position, but like Jack last year, he has rare explosion in his hands and hips that allows him to stone OL on contact. He's set the edge against NCAA OTs weighing 205, so I don't think it's crazy to hope he could do it in the NFL, if he could bulk up to ~220. Special athlete who I hated as a top 10 safety, but who could be nasty as a day 2 SAM. IMO, of course.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Might want to do some research about our scheme because none of that applies to the SAM in this defense. Imagine peppers trying to set an edge at 205 lbs.

Michigan homers have officially surpassed the Ohio("THE Ohio State") State homers on here. For f**ks sake.

"NFL Draft: Jabrill Peppers to attend NFL Combine as a Linebacker"

"The NFL Combine participants for the 2017 Draft has been released and Jabrill Peppers will do drills with the Linebackers group."

"The Steelers have clearly tried to use a dime defense for the last two seasons; late in 2015, early in 2016, to middling success. Peppers could be the answer in that role, playing alongside Davis, not replacing him.

Last season, Peppers recorded 66 tackles, 13 for a loss, with three sacks and an interception. He was a multi-purpose threat, returning kicks and punts and playing running back on offense, averaging 6.2 yards per carry.

If you're wondering, OLBs Haason Reddick and Carl Lawson were off the board by the Steelers' selection. Reddick seemingly continues to "rise," going 24th in this edition, and we haven't even hit the Combine yet.

If the Steelers go in a direction other than outside linebacker, a position, and a player, like Peppers would be very interesting."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/02/cbs-sports-2017-mock-draft-steelers-select-jabrill-peppers-in-first-round/

Certainly, Peppers will end up in the NFL, if not after this season then after the next, and the only question is what position would he play? Safety? Linebacker? Punt returner? Some running back? What is he really? What is his best position?

Former Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian has been studying Peppers, and he has been impressed.

"Where would he play in the NFL?" I asked Polian a few days ago.
"Ah, he could play," he said. "He could play, probably on defense. He's a Troy Polamalu, Bob Sanders type guy. They are similar in terms of his ability to affect games."
Oct 29, 2016; East Lansing, MI, USA; Spartans quarterback
Oct 29, 2016; East Lansing, MI, USA; Spartans quarterback Brian Lewerke attempts a pass as Wolverines linebacker Jabrill Peppers defends at Spartan Stadium. (Photo: Brad Mills, USA TODAY Sports)

"Polamalu (5-10, 213) played strong safety for the Pittsburgh Steelers for 12 seasons, making eight Pro Bowls, while Sanders (5-8, 200) played seven seasons with the Colts and one for San Diego. Although Peppers clearly is taller than Sanders.

"There is a place for football players," Polian said. "He's not only a football player, he's an impact guy. He hits like a ton. He runs. He's instinctive. He's got skills."

Sam or outside linebacker average weight is 230lb.. Am I bias or some can't get the fact how special this kid can be for us?
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2016/11/10/jabrill-peppers-nfl/93621448/
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Feb 26, 2017 at 3:06 PM ]
Can you post examples of him setting a hard edge at 205? No offense, but I think it's a silly idea. Not only is he extremely light(SAM is usually 250-260), but he is short for that role. The reason long arms are preferred is for engaging first and leverage.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 26, 2017 at 3:07 PM ]
Can you post examples of him setting a hard edge at 205? No offense, but I think it's a silly idea. Not only is he extremely light(SAM is usually 250-260), but he is short for that role. The reason long arms are preferred is for engaging first and leverage.

Valid concerns but he is between a linebacker and a Safety with the speed to handle a wr or tight end.

"This past season, Michigan hired a new defensive coordinator, Don Brown. Brown is known for creating a defensive scheme that priorities speed from his outside linebackers. Peppers was asked to convert from safety to a hybrid (Viper) linebacker position. This would bring him even closer to the line of scrimmage, allowing him track and attack the ball."
https://detroitjockcity.com/2017/02/16/nfl-draft-jabrill-peppers-attend-nfl-combine-linebacker/

"4-3 teams emphasize speed, not size, at linebacker"

With his brute strength and a couple of more pounds I think he can be.

[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Feb 26, 2017 at 3:14 PM ]
What other 4-3s utilize is irrelevant because his is not your typical 4-3. The body types and traits are very particular in this type of defense.

Bruce Irvin is the benchmark for SAM LB in this scheme, so if you want to compare a player, he's your baseline at 6"3 260 lbs with long arms and explosive traits.
What other 4-3s utilize is irrelevant because his is not your typical 4-3. The body types and traits are very particular in this type of defense.

Bruce Irvin is the benchmark for SAM LB in this scheme, so if you want to compare a player, he's your baseline at 6"3 260 lbs with long arms and explosive traits.

"At 235 pounds, West Virginia's Bruce Irvin is a lightweight at defensive end."

I definitely hear you.. I'm only saying drafting a player like him can make a defensive coordinator so happy. If he can gain some weight as he is already doing, he pacts a punch. All I'm saying with his talents if we draft him at strong safety it would cause havoc not having to substitute having a player that can step in the box a get dirty, I'm not saying he is made for the position but having him on defense would help more than most realize. He is not scared to get dirty and already is being recognized for his strength in the Exos.

"Jabrill Peppers, Michigan

The do it all Heisman Finalist Jabrill Peppers enters the 2017 NFL Draft as one of the most talked about players. He is willing to do anything for his defense including getting in the dirty areas to take on blocks or play man to man coverage on a tight end.

Peppers is a physical player who can navigate his way through holes to make tackles on running backs. He doesn't have the gaudy turnover stats but makes up for it with his ability to play almost anywhere on the defensive side of the ball.

Peppers scored six touchdowns at Michigan and can change the course of the game as a return man."
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Feb 26, 2017 at 3:38 PM ]
Bruce Irvin was 245 lbs at the combine and has been at 260 for years now. You're really grasping at straws. Lol

Sorry, but Peppers is a terrible fit for this position in this type of defense.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 26, 2017 at 3:45 PM ]
Bruce Irvin was 245 lbs at the combine and has been at 260 for years now. You're really grasping at straws. Lol

Sorry, but Peppers is a terrible fit for this position in this type of defense.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/wvu-de-bruce-irvin-built-for-speed-at-235-pounds-88656880-092310

235 pounds... and started to gain weight just like Jabrill is. Again not saying he is taylored made for the position but drafting him would give a lot of options.

Not grabbing straws but being realistic on what players can become, especially the special ones that can play corner, safety or lb if need be. It's called building your defense around a star.

The star that we don't have... Grasping straws? Smh

"At 235 pounds, West Virginia's Bruce Irvin is a lightweight at defensive end.

Just don't call him a pushover.

Going up against 300-pound offensive linemen, the junior college
transfer is starting to live up to his preseason billing as a solid
speed rusher on passing downs for No. 22 West Virginia (3-0)."
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Feb 26, 2017 at 3:58 PM ]
"According to Pro Football Focus, NFL defenses were in nickel packages (five defensive backs) over 63 percent of the time during the 2015 season. That percentage has risen significantly every year since 2008, when nickel was utilized just 43.4 percent of the time. As NFL offenses move to more 11 personnel looks, tight ends and running backs that can split out wide, and shotgun-heavy formations, defenses' abilities to match up appropriately must be at an all-time high.

Thus, the ability to stay in a "base defense" while moving a linebacker/safety out to match up against a Rob Gronkowski or a Jimmy Graham is an important adjustment for a defense to be able to make. In an age where offenses are looking to exploit the first mismatch they can create, a dynamic hybrid defender can eliminate disadvantageous situations quickly."

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/05/19/linebacker-safety-hybrids-quickly-becoming-nfl-defensive-staples/

You sound like that mother who desperately tries to convince the head coach to play her son. But it just aint going to happen. Lol
You sound like that mother who desperately tries to convince the head coach to play her son. But it just aint going to happen. Lol

Maybe that's the reason we are where we are at?

Ignoring facts.. The game is changing it's always changing, either adapt or get left behind.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Feb 26, 2017 at 4:14 PM ]
We get it, wu. You want winners like peppers on your team. You don't need to repeat your self in every single thread. You are single handedly making this section of the forum a chore to visit

I don't have any video on him, but in the "Jabril Peppers: Hall monitor" clip on YouTube (it's in the peppers thread), he does a god job of collision in and playing through a pulling guard on his way to a TFL.

FWIW, Shanahan himself is on record saying it can be a big body or a smaller, more active guy. According to him, the alignment is the same, but a SAM who can be blocked by a RB is considered a 2nd level guy (like in a traditional 4-3), while a SAM who demands OL/TE blocks is a 1st level player (like in a 3-4). Basically 3-4 gives you a 5 man front with a big SAM, and 4-3 essentially gives you a 4 man front, even in the same allignment, because SAM is a smaller, faster, more active guy. Both options have advantages.
He was primarily referring to how people perceive a 3-4 vs 4-3.

"Seattle has a linebacker on the ball every single play. So does Atlanta. That's five guys on the line of scrimmage. Whether you call it a 4-3 or a 3-4, for the most part, we call it a 4-3, just to tell you guys the way I look at it, as a coach.

Regardless, the SAM is the front side contain player, and nobody employs an undersized linebacker to set an edge. The first thing Dan Quinn had Vic Beasley do when he moved to SAM was put on weight.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 26, 2017 at 4:34 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone