LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

MadDog Pre-Combine 2017 NFL Draft Projection First 100 Picks

Originally posted by SoCold:
that's my question he said it wasn't a mock or talent list so what is the basis of making him the #1 overall pick?

QBs always go higher relative to their talent level. Its extremely rare for a QB to be the top player in the draft or even a top 5 player in the draft but they still go high pretty much every single year because by far it is the most important position in football.

I also expect to see two QBs to go in the top 5 this year.
Well what I'm thinking is that if a team trades up to #1 just to draft Mitch they're the dumbest team of all time. If Cleveland drafts him at #1 they're the second dumbest team of all time.

And if he turns out to be a Pro Bowl level QB, they are f**king geniuses. Its only stupid if it doesnt pan out.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Assigning a team to that slot is what separates this from a mock. Doesn't mean Cleveland drafts 2 QBs, but rather that 2 QBs get drafted where Cleveland CURRENTLY has their picks. Doesn't mean SF get Garrett, but if the stay at #2 then they do

Originally posted by NYniner85:
how so? He's not saying what team is gonna draft him, he's saying that is where he might project him as far as a draft slot goes? I think there's a difference.

whatevs not my thread lol

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Its a projection that Trubisky will be the #1 pick, regardless of who is making the pick.

This. Why is it so hard to understand that concept? I guess for some people it's beyond them. Excuse my friend he's a little slow, the town is 2 miles that way!
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
So if Mitch is the first pick on this "big board" that means it's because Cleveland drafted him and traded the #12 pick. So it's basically a mock.
k thnx

Its a projection that Trubisky will be the #1 pick, regardless of who is making the pick.

that's my question he said it wasn't a mock or talent list so what is the basis of making him the #1 overall pick?

Think of it as a draft value projection for the NFL. Not a true talent evaluation, but a projection based on historical draft trends. Ie, QBs and pass rushers weighted more, HBs less.

At least that's how I'm reading it.

Well what I'm thinking is that if a team trades up to #1 just to draft Mitch they're the dumbest team of all time. If Cleveland drafts him at #1 they're the second dumbest team of all time.

Well, Trubisky > Goff, and we know how last year went.
So if Mitch is the first pick on this "big board" that means it's because Cleveland drafted him and traded the #12 pick. So it's basically a mock.
k thnx

Think of it as a draft value projection for the NFL. Not a true talent evaluation, but a projection based on historical draft trends. Ie, QBs and pass rushers weighted more, HBs less.

very true. Goff was ranked where Mitch is on most big boards but he still had someone sell the farm for him. Someone will fall in love with Trubisky and trade up. 49ers need to play the card and act like they are in love with Trubbs too so they feel compelled to trade up. Then Garrett falls into our lap
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

And if he turns out to be a Pro Bowl level QB, they are f**king geniuses. Its only stupid if it doesnt pan out.

We're not talking about having 2 QBs that are actually top 10 talents here. Many people have said this is the worst draft for QBs in many years. That's why there's so many rumors about teams trading for QBs now. This is all a guess on where players will land based on the few teams who need a QB?
My only issue with the projections is David Njoku as a top 20 pick.

The TE class is rediculously deep this year, and Njoku just doesn't impress me to the point of a 1st round grade. He looks stiff in his routes, and his hands aren't clean. He has the H/W/S traits that teams covet, but nothing special to his game. And again, there are about 6 or 7 TE prospects on par with Njoku for me. I'm particularly impressed with Gerald Everett.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
k thnx

very true. Goff was ranked where Mitch is on most big boards but he still had someone sell the farm for him. Someone will fall in love with Trubisky and trade up. 49ers need to play the card and act like they are in love with Trubbs too so they feel compelled to trade up. Then Garrett falls into our lap

yeah, prob why that HC isn't a HC anymore lol
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
k thnx

yeah, prob why that HC isn't a HC anymore lol

but that GM who probably called the shots is still there haha. But i agree, terrible decision!

We're not talking about having 2 QBs that are actually top 10 talents here. Many people have said this is the worst draft for QBs in many years.

Some of the same people who compared JaMarcus Russell to John Elway and said that Blaine Gabbert would be a surefire franchise QB are now nitpicking the current class. Meh.

Projections are opinions, in the end it takes one team to fall in love with a QB for them to go #1.

Just for clarification, this is an opinion, not a 'mock', not a 'evaluation' and not a 'projection'.
Originally posted by 9erred:
The GREAT news is all 5 qb's are going to throw at the combine. I believe this to be unprecedented in recent history. If ONE or TWO QB's can stand out the value of the second pick will sky rocket. If NO qb stands out all trade down scenarios are irrelevant

The 2nd pick will be golden regardless. If Garrett is taken first, then a QB hungry team will overpay. If a QB is taken first, then the 49ers can have Garrett if they covet him the most. And even if Garrett is available, the pick will still be valuable and an over compensated trade down should be there for the taking.
[ Edited by Bluesbro on Feb 24, 2017 at 10:01 AM ]

Originally posted by Bluesbro:

If Goff develops into a top starter under McVay, then it won't be looked at as a bad move either.

The actual results determine how people will quantity a draft pick in the long run. Travis Frederick was supposedly a huge reach by Dallas, they were ridiculed for taking him that early, now that he is one of the top centers in football, he is looked at as a bargain and a brilliant draft pick.
Share 49ersWebzone