LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

Lattimore Island

Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
No ball skills? He had 6 or 7 picks! If we trade back 4 or 5 spots I would grab him. And calling him no knees? He had a problem constantly pulling his hamstrings! They changed his training regimen and fixed the problem.

Lattimore was targeted 35 times in his final season, and he was able to get his hands on 14 passes!

I think there is no doubt that #2 will be between Lattimore and Soloman Thomas and it's a win-win situation.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I'm good with it.
Originally posted by kaynj:
I think this could be the guy at number 2. Niners need a really good corner to go opposite of Robinson. Brock is not the guy. This could be a cornerstone for the defense.

Agreed, this 4-3 under is a great fit for Ward (Thomas) and Tartt (Chancellor) and Robinson (Sherman)...add Lattimore (Shead) outside and that has massive potential. Everyone playing to their strengths and skill set.
Originally posted by amosmac28:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Not even the best man to man corner in the draft.... unless we are switching to a zone D

Huh? He's the best cover corner in the draft! Maybe the best since Revis. Seriously!

What he lacks is ball skills, something Marcus Peters has. From a coverage standpoint though, he's rock solid.

Is anybody truly going to have value at pick # 2 after the Browns take Garrett #1 overall? Can't take a QB. Can't reach for Foster or Mike Williams. Can't take Jonathon Allen because we've drafted 2 DL's the past 2 years. No offensive lineman will go in the top 10. Leonard Fournette shouldn't go until Pick 5. He's a RB!

In some respects we are pigeonholed at the 2nd pick. Almost would have been worth winning another game or 2 and being at 5. Is anybody going to honestly trade up to pick 2 if they are not going for a QB? not likely.

What lol, just cause a rb shouldn't go 2 doesn't mean we won't do it , there's no rule book to this if we value that player at 2 we will take him regardless
Originally posted by genus49:
History says that would not be a wise move. Plus Settle's defense is all about Earl Thomas. Hopefully this means we'll move Jimmie Ward to FS.

I think this draft is pretty rich in CB talent and Lattimore may not even prove to be the best of the class.

I'd rather we get ourselves a stud pass rusher to help the DBs we do have. Going back to Settle's defense that defense really took another turn when they added Avril and Michael Bennett.

yes!

Lattimore is a good player but at #2 a CB would have to be perfect. There are starters at CB to be had all the way through the 3rd round.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
yes!

Lattimore is a good player but at #2 a CB would have to be perfect. There are starters at CB to be had all the way through the 3rd round.

Yeah, doesn't matter how good the CBs are if the opposing QB has all day to throw because we have no pass rush. Also, Baalke spent every draft drafting tons of CBs, some of which may still pan out. Anyway, feel pass rush is a more important need.
What's the status on his injury?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by genus49:
History says that would not be a wise move. Plus Settle's defense is all about Earl Thomas. Hopefully this means we'll move Jimmie Ward to FS.

I think this draft is pretty rich in CB talent and Lattimore may not even prove to be the best of the class.

I'd rather we get ourselves a stud pass rusher to help the DBs we do have. Going back to Settle's defense that defense really took another turn when they added Avril and Michael Bennett.

yes!

At #2 it better be Deion Sanders II
Originally posted by jcs:
At #2 it better be Deion Sanders II

He is close.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.fanragsports.com/nfl/marshon-lattimore-is-the-easiest-projection-in-the-draft/amp/
At his worst Lattimore compares to Stephone Gilmore who just got 10 mil a year from the Pats. That's his floor.

He is a sophomore who is still learning. When he hits his ceiling....look out.

Originally posted by SteveYoung:
At his worst Lattimore compares to Stephone Gilmore who just got 10 mil a year from the Pats. That's his floor.

He is a sophomore who is still learning. When he hits his ceiling....look out.

The article doesn't say anything about his floor being Stephon Gilmore. Gilmore is his NFL comparison if all goes well, not his floor. Going off this article, he could be even better than Gilmore (better ball skills). The author thinks he's one of the top 5 players in the draft and will be a top 10 pick, not that his floor is a Pro Bowl player and his ceiling is Deion Sanders.

"If all goes well, he should become Stephon Gilmore. They play the same and should test similarly. Both are much more confident in man coverage and will get beat by more nuanced receivers. Both have the footwork required to stay in phase throughout the route with a receiver while possessing the strength and length to be disruptive. Lattimore is even better when the ball is in the air."
The more I think about it, the more I do think this is our most likely pick at #2.

He has the talent to be a top 5 pick, and I think he fits how we want to build the team.

I think Garrett goes #1, and we go Lattimore at #2. Although I like the top 2 safeties a tad bit more, CB is more valuable spot.
I'd be fine with the pick but corners are a b to extend.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
No ball skills? He had 6 or 7 picks! If we trade back 4 or 5 spots I would grab him. And calling him no knees? He had a problem constantly pulling his hamstrings! They changed his training regimen and fixed the problem.

Lattimore was targeted 35 times in his final season, and he was able to get his hands on 14 passes!

I think there is no doubt that #2 will be between Lattimore and Soloman Thomas and it's a win-win situation.

You don't spend a top 5 pick on a DB unless his name is Dion Sanders.
  • kaynj
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by kaynj:
I think this could be the guy at number 2. Niners need a really good corner to go opposite of Robinson. Brock is not the guy. This could be a cornerstone for the defense.

Agreed, this 4-3 under is a great fit for Ward (Thomas) and Tartt (Chancellor) and Robinson (Sherman)...add Lattimore (Shead) outside and that has massive potential. Everyone playing to their strengths and skill set.

This would be a nice and ideal line up for the secondary.
Share 49ersWebzone