There are 218 users in the forums

Lattimore Island

• TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Baalke drafted like 67 dbs. I understand that 57 of them are coming off of a torn ACL but why would we use #2 on ANOTHER corner?
Originally posted by amosmac28:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Not even the best man to man corner in the draft.... unless we are switching to a zone D

Huh? He's the best cover corner in the draft! Maybe the best since Revis. Seriously!

What he lacks is ball skills, something Marcus Peters has. From a coverage standpoint though, he's rock solid.

Is anybody truly going to have value at pick # 2 after the Browns take Garrett #1 overall? Can't take a QB. Can't reach for Foster or Mike Williams. Can't take Jonathon Allen because we've drafted 2 DL's the past 2 years. No offensive lineman will go in the top 10. Leonard Fournette shouldn't go until Pick 5. He's a RB!

In some respects we are pigeonholed at the 2nd pick. Almost would have been worth winning another game or 2 and being at 5. Is anybody going to honestly trade up to pick 2 if they are not going for a QB? not likely.

Solomon Thomas has plenty of value at 2 with the switch to 4-3. I think Lattimores keeping his eyes on the QB will get him in trouble in the pros unless he is in a Zone defense. His pick against Oklahoma was incredible definitely not many players who can change gears like that. But his other picks came from bad throws or butterfingers. He is very good I don't wanna come off as if I don't like him. He's way better than Eli Apple, William Jackson and Artie Burns.
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
He will probably go top 5 he's too good. He's a top 5 talent. In no particular order the top five picks could garret, Trubs, lattimore, Allen, and hooker. There are other names that could go top five but you won't get lattimore at 10.

Edit I didn't know about his injury. I hate hearing stuff like that about draft prospects.

Trubisky is just in there because they have to throw a qb in the mix. He's a 1st qb prospect but not a legit top 5 player in this draft imo.
I said he will go top five not that he's a top five prospect. Do you disagree? Besides that point even if he falls that only means that lattimore will be picked one spot higher.
DJ has him going to us @ #2.

If we're going to install a Seattle-like defense, this would not be a bad move...would be nice with a small trade back and still get him.

Moving to a Seattle defense, all these guys now come into play at #2 (trade back option): Garrett, Allen, Lattimore, Adams/Hooker & Foster (and more).
Originally posted by NCommand:

If we're going to install a Seattle-like defense, this would not be a bad move...would be nice with a small trade back and still get him.

Moving to a Seattle defense, all these guys now come into play at #2 (trade back option): Garrett, Allen, Lattimore, Adams/Hooker & Foster (and more).
Both Kyle and lynch said it starts with stopping the run. Take that as you will
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Both Kyle and lynch said it starts with stopping the run. Take that as you will

No question. We can still go after Brandon Williams/Poe and plug that middle and 1-gap with the other 3 + rotation: Blair, Lynch, Harold, AA & Buckner
History says that would not be a wise move. Plus Settle's defense is all about Earl Thomas. Hopefully this means we'll move Jimmie Ward to FS.

I think this draft is pretty rich in CB talent and Lattimore may not even prove to be the best of the class.

I'd rather we get ourselves a stud pass rusher to help the DBs we do have. Going back to Settle's defense that defense really took another turn when they added Avril and Michael Bennett.
Originally posted by genus49:
History says that would not be a wise move. Plus Settle's defense is all about Earl Thomas. Hopefully this means we'll move Jimmie Ward to FS.

I think this draft is pretty rich in CB talent and Lattimore may not even prove to be the best of the class.

I'd rather we get ourselves a stud pass rusher to help the DBs we do have. Going back to Settle's defense that defense really took another turn when they added Avril and Michael Bennett.

That was exactly my first thought!
Lattimore, Humphrey, Quincy Wilson...all very good CB's. However, there are some dandy UFA CB's, too...Stephon Gilmore, Dre Kirkpatrick, Micah Hyde, A.J. Bouye & Logan Ryan. I'd have no qualms about Lynch signing any one of them. That said, they may want to acquire some S help and let Ward stay at CB. I'm not sure Jimmy is big/tough enough to play FS.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Lattimore, Humphrey, Quincy Wilson...all very good CB's. However, there are some dandy UFA CB's, too...Stephon Gilmore, Dre Kirkpatrick, Micah Hyde, A.J. Bouye & Logan Ryan. I'd have no qualms about Lynch signing any one of them. That said, they may want to acquire some S help and let Ward stay at CB. I'm not sure Jimmy is big/tough enough to play FS.

Agreed...really like the bold.

Originally posted by amosmac28:
Huh? He's the best cover corner in the draft! Maybe the best since Revis. Seriously!

What he lacks is ball skills, something Marcus Peters has. From a coverage standpoint though, he's rock solid.

Is anybody truly going to have value at pick # 2 after the Browns take Garrett #1 overall? Can't take a QB. Can't reach for Foster or Mike Williams. Can't take Jonathon Allen because we've drafted 2 DL's the past 2 years. No offensive lineman will go in the top 10. Leonard Fournette shouldn't go until Pick 5. He's a RB!

In some respects we are pigeonholed at the 2nd pick. Almost would have been worth winning another game or 2 and being at 5. Is anybody going to honestly trade up to pick 2 if they are not going for a QB? not likely.

What is good coverage worth without ball skills. Thats exactly what the good to great qbs do: place the ball accurately with good coverage. Plenty good cover guys get roasted from misplaying the ball.

And on another note, im taking Allen all day. Draft the best player possible, not best player depending on what position you drafted last year. If AA gets pushed to the bench or pushed to play better, then thats what we need. Thats crazy talk to not draft Allen for your reason
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Feb 14, 2017 at 2:38 PM ]
Originally posted by genus49:

Pass rush and QB are easily the biggest needs. You could have two pf prime Champ Bailey, Deion or Revis back there and the better QBs will still light you up if they have forever in the pocket.

I'd rather have outstanding talent up front and so so guys on the back end instead of vice versa.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
What is good coverage worth without ball skills. Thats exactly what the good to great qbs do: place the ball accurately with good coverage. Plenty good cover guys get roasted from misplaying the ball.

And on another note, im taking Allen all day. Draft the best player possible, not best player depending on what position you drafted last year. If AA gets pushed to the bench or pushed to play better, then thats what we need. Thats crazy talk to not draft Allen for your reason

I don't disagree that Allen is a great player, the BPA at 2.. but holy sh*t, 3 DL's in 3 years? Aside from a NT, which Allen can't play... we've got guys already on the roster (DeFo & AA) that need to be on the playing field together. Along w/ Dial & Blair. We have to see what we have. This roster has so many needs from QB, WR, OL, DL, ILB & OLB, DB that it wouldn't take long to trade out if I am Lynch. Especially considering the right pkg of picks. In fact, if we are staying at 2 and were going to draft Allen - they why not just spin that pick off to the Redskins for Cousins? They could use Allen more then us.
No ball skills? He had 6 or 7 picks! If we trade back 4 or 5 spots I would grab him. And calling him no knees? He had a problem constantly pulling his hamstrings! They changed his training regimen and fixed the problem.
  • kaynj
  • Veteran
I think this could be the guy at number 2. Niners need a really good corner to go opposite of Robinson. Brock is not the guy. This could be a cornerstone for the defense.
Share 49ersWebzone