There are 200 users in the forums

If Lynch were to trade down from #2, what team would trade for who?

I am a huge proponent of trading down, acquiring extra picks for this draft and next years. With so many holes, and a new regime ready to turn over the roster, we need to let them build the team with their own prospects. Would love to trade out with the Jets or Bills, and get a bounty of picks for the next two years.

Ultimately, Ill be OK with whatever Lynch does. I believe in Shanny's ability to coach up any QB prospect, so if we go QB at 2, Im on board. Shanny made RG3, Cousins and Shaub look good. I think he knows what he is doing.
We can prognosticate all we want...every draft one or more teams trade up for a player they're afraid they won't get by standing pat. If a team makes the right offer to Lynch, he should take it. If we end up standing pat at #2, Jonathan Allen's the pick. Of course, that's after Lynch has re-signed Chris Jones to start alongside Mitchell. Having Allen & Blair coming off the bench would be great. Our front line would be a force to reckon with.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by strickac:
As of today I think the best guess would be swapping picks with Wash (#17) as part of a package for Cousins.

How does that trade make sense for either team?

The Redskins are competitive right now. Why would they decide to potentially throw that away and rebuild with a rookie QB? They have plenty of cap space to keep Cousins. If they get rid of him, they'll have a tougher time retaining their current free agents and bringing in new ones.

On the other hand, the 49ers will not be competitive for years. Why would we give up a ton of future cap space and a great developmental QB to pay another QB $20+ million a year and hurt our draft position for the next 3 years? QBs on rookie deals are extremely valuable and if all we're concerned about is how good our QB will be 3-4 years from now, I'd draft and develop a rookie and defer the $60-70 million of cap space we freed up or use it to bring in other young talent. Even if Cousins is still better 3 years from now than Trubisky or Kizer, we'd likely be in a better position with the additional talent that money could bring in and a younger QB.

The trade makes perfect sense for both teams. Some folks in washington front office dont believe he's worth franchise money. cousins

They also have a pretty good feeling he is going to walk in 2018 if they franchise tag him. cousins

If all of this is true the best interest of the Redskins would be to flip cousins and #17 to the 49ers for the #2 pick. Otherwise they stay pat at #17 and lose him in 2018 and probably pick up a 3rd round comp pick for him. Seems like an easy decision to me.

Franchise Cousins in 2017 for 1 year
Cost $24 million
#17 pick
3rd round comp pick when he walks

Or

#2 pick in the draft
No $24 million tag

The 49ers could really use Cousins. He is still relatively young for a QB and already knows Kyle's offense. That position would be set. No learning the offense and no growing pains the team would have if they drafted a QB. This would allow the 49ers to attack other positions of need through the draft and free agency the next two years and not worry about the QB position.

Cousins does come with a price for an extension, however any long term deal would still put the 49ers roughly $60 million under the cap. No worries here.

The toughest thing in my mind would be giving up the 2nd pick. The 49ers front office has to determine two things A) There is a franchise player available to them. B) Investigate whether there is a trade down possibility for more picks. If neither of these criteria are met, the best bet is to make the trade.

Also,if the 9ers could get the #17 pick it could still bring an elite talent to the team considering how deep the draft is at certain positions. There could also be more of a chance at trading down with a team in the 20s looking to climb up the board. The #17 pick is worth 950 points and has the possibility to net the other teams current or future 1st and a 3rd-4th round pick depending on the where the teams pick is at relevant to #17. Or possibly 2 2nd round picks. Either way, keeping or trading, the 49ers are in business with this pick.

This trade seems like a no brainer for both sides and im hoping it happens.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
I am a huge proponent of trading down, acquiring extra picks for this draft and next years. With so many holes, and a new regime ready to turn over the roster, we need to let them build the team with their own prospects. Would love to trade out with the Jets or Bills, and get a bounty of picks for the next two years.

Ultimately, Ill be OK with whatever Lynch does. I believe in Shanny's ability to coach up any QB prospect, so if we go QB at 2, Im on board. Shanny made RG3, Cousins and Shaub look good. I think he knows what he is doing.

Yup, if no Garrett, I'd entertain a trade down in a heartbeat.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
The thing is... there are players worthy of trading up for. However, there isnt anyone worth mortgaging the future for. And in all my trade ups i didnt try to break the bank because of it. Everyone thinks because history has shown that a trade up garnered a kings ransom in the past that all trade down/ups have to be the same.

Fact is the supply can often dictate demand. We aren't in that position unfortunately. Doesnt mean we can't get more picks. just means we wont get a kings ransom.
5 49ers Trade Scenarios in the 2017 NFL Draft
With the uncertainty of this draft class' top quarterback prospects, I am of the belief that selecting one of those signal-callers early in the draft is not something the 49ers should do. While yes quarterback is a glaring need for San Francisco, they should not select North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky or Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer at the No. 2 slot (like most mock drafts do).

That is a reach. And with reports that San Francisco is more focused on finding a quarterback in 2018, it just does not make much sense to grab one of those quarterbacks that high. The 49ers can still draft a top-tier player while acquiring picks for the future.

Using Pro Football Talk's draft trade chart, which assigns values for each pick, let's examine five trade scenarios involving the 49ers for the upcoming draft.

No. 5: Trade With The Buffalo Bills http://ninernoise.com/2017/02/20/49ers-trade-scenarios-2017-nfl-draft/

No. 4: Trade With The Philadelphia Eagles http://ninernoise.com/2017/02/20/49ers-trade-scenarios-2017-nfl-draft/3/

No. 3: Trade With The Washington Redskins http://ninernoise.com/2017/02/20/49ers-trade-scenarios-2017-nfl-draft/4/

No. 2: Trade With The Miami Dolphins http://ninernoise.com/2017/02/20/49ers-trade-scenarios-2017-nfl-draft/5/

No. 1: Trade With The New England Patriots http://ninernoise.com/2017/02/20/49ers-trade-scenarios-2017-nfl-draft/
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Feb 26, 2017 at 2:30 PM ]
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
IMO, the only way teams will consider trading up for the #2 pick is if the Browns wiffed again and draft a QB causing Garrett to drop to #2 overall. Other than that there's nobody that is worth trading up for.

Agree with this, let's assume Browns don't screw this up again and select Garrett. Now the question should be, assuming there will be no trade partners, what player do the 49ers select with #2 overall ? I believe it comes down to Allen, Solomon or Foster. My pick would be Foster, then take Charles Harris in the 2nd RD. This draft has an abundance of Edge rushers but very few quality ILBs. Now if Garrett is there at #2, Niners should take him and then select Jarrad Davis ILB with the 2nd pick.
[ Edited by crew on Feb 26, 2017 at 2:38 PM ]
Originally posted by crew:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
IMO, the only way teams will consider trading up for the #2 pick is if the Browns wiffed again and draft a QB causing Garrett to drop to #2 overall. Other than that there's nobody that is worth trading up for.

Agree with this, let's assume Browns don't screw this up again and select Garrett. Now the question should be, assuming there will be no trade partners, what player do the 49ers select with #2 overall ? I believe it comes down to Allen, Solomon or Foster. My pick would be Foster, then take Charles Harris in the 2nd RD. This draft has an abundance of Edge rushers but very few quality ILBs. Now if Garrett is there at #2, Niners should take him and then select Jarrad Davis ILB with the 2nd pick.

Then where are you placing Davis? I rather go someone like Cunningham or Bowser to play the SAM. Unless you don't believe in Ray-Ray so you place him at WILL.
Trade back to #6 to the JETS we get
#6 and #39 this year
and a 2nd round pick 2018 draft
1st round Rueben Foster. LB
2nd round Curtis Samuel RB/WR
2nd round. Demarcus Walker DE
16 sacks 21 tackles for loss
I REALLY hope there is a team that wants to trade up with the Niners. If they were able to find a trade partner that would go a long way in restoring the roster to playoff level. A few extra intelligent picks will do just that.

Share 49ersWebzone