There are 176 users in the forums

If Lynch were to trade down from #2, what team would trade for who?

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Coach and QB and your close. Or Rivers would have been to a lot more playoffs.

You would of said the same thing about Ryan a year ago. It's about getting the right people around him and it doesn't have to be Julio Jones. NO did it with a 7th round rookie in Colston. SD has failed to build a rushing attack which has been there Achilles heel. We already got a nice back and can improve significantly there.
  • JEXIT
  • Veteran
Draft good linemen
One thing is for certain: some team always falls in love and does something stupid for a quarterback. We might have decent trade options. Maybe Arizona?
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
If Cousins is good enough to make the 49ers (one of the two worst teams in the league) competitive instantly, why would the Redskins give him up? Wouldn't that make them bad instantly?

But seriously, we wouldn't be a contender next year even if we had Tom Brady at QB. We had one of the worst defenses in the league and Kaepernick had one of the worst supporting casts in the league on offense. QBs are important, but they aren't the only players on the field.

Not our concern if they decide to give him up. We're not them. Cap reasons would be the reason why although I don't think they will. Jeffrey too it's just hard to find those kind of guys to let them go.

You can turn the 32nd ranked d into a top 10 in 1 year. It's been done plenty of times before. Adding Pro Bowlers like Brandon Williams and Melvin Ingram would make a world of a difference. Those are realistic additions too.
Well, we "worked hard" to finally get a great draft position, but the QBs aren't up to snuff, and the other studs....Garrett prob goes to Cleve unless they screw up yet again. Allen, definitely destined for all pro, is something we already have taken last two drafts in a row, as our first pick. Love to have him but we need NT, ILB, OLB, WR, FR QB, RB, CB...all as impact players. This yr the talent doesn't line up well for us.

HOWEVER:

What we like and what we want has no bearing on what Kyle and Lynch want. IF it so happens Garrett is gone, and kyle /lynch think Trubisk is the best thing since sliced bread, then bingo, we got kyle's FR QB. If, however, he doesn't see a guy who is extremely accurate, is smart, has good mechanics, makes good reads, goes thru his progressions well....then that is a different matter. In the end, it matters what kyle thinks he can do with which guy to become our FR QB....or he may decide there is nobody who fits the bill. Then we move back if there is NO impact player at #2 that fits our needs. There are some at 4,5, 6 and some QBs at 10-15, maybe a Mahomes/Peterman at end of rd 1 or start of rd 2....but it all boils down to what kyle thinks he can do wiht so and so Qb. It may be he ONLY wants Cousins...or garopp. We aren't going to figure it out because it will matter to kyle most on what he can do with everyone of the available QBs. Maybe we don't take any until rd 4. And then take 2. STill and all, it boils down to what kyle sees with each and everyone. I just hope he doesn't take Kizer. The others like everyone else, i just don't know. But Kizer no way. In his shoes i would stay and learn another 1 yr, 2 would be even better. He just has way too far to go to play now.

And as SheHateMe notes, somebody always is around to do something stupid to move up for a QB. In the end, that may very well be our best play. Let someone else make some kind of stupid offer. Whatever, finally I feel like we are represented by a couple guys who will do better than the old regime. So bring it on and let's see what happens in draft.

And keep in mind, the team drafting ahead of us gave up Wentz last yr for extra draft picks a couple of which are already gone .I still think they fool us all and pull Watson out of thin air. Hey, he almost beat the #1 team in the nation LAST YR and DID BEAT that same team THIS Yr. So maybe they know Watson is the guy with "IT". Have to admit this will be one interesting draft. Meantime, i am hoping we forget last yrs FA and turn our attn to getting a NT, WR, RB, ILB and OLB. Or a corner. Who knows, but it better be an IMPACT player at whichever slot it is. And with real luck, it sure would be nice if we could fill TWO IMPACT slots in FA. Remember...this yr we don't have trent out there, nor do we have tomsul...nor Chip. That alone ought to make us a lot more desirable place to land. And Lynch is well known and well thot of, and KYLE....he will be our lucky charm, right after he directs the falcons to a win over the favored PATS. Think about that as an ad: Kyle Shanahan, OC for the winners of SB 51, now the HC for the SF 49ers. That has GOT to get us some notice by a number of talented FAs.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Feb 4, 2017 at 12:01 PM ]
I can see the Jets moving up to get a QB...so we'd potentially get the #6 pick and a couple of others. That'd give Lynch arguably another 2nd rounder which he might be able to use to get Garrapolo. If that were to happen, I'd love to see Shanahan get Mike Williams at #6. It'd be a huge win-win.
If the Falcons do beat the Patriots and stop The Greatest of all time, this place better be desirable for Free Agents.. We certainly have the money to overpay these guys and yes.. we should overpay someone like Williams or Poe. To not add an NT to the last 2 first round picks we added would be a shame and a waste of two years in my opinion.

Grab Williams at NT and draft an ILB and all of sudden whoa.. that front 7 looks like its coming along. All successful teams that have reached the super bowl or won it, had great position teams. Just because the Cowboys lost this year doesn't mean that OL or their newly aquired RB is going anywhere. Whether it's Dallas' O Line or Seattle's Legion of Boom, teams that have success have those position teams that highly excel their peers. Sure, those teams had other players that made an impact but its that position team you got to build nicely over time. I think adding on the D line/front 7 is/should be our first focus to getting at least an identity.

This rebuild back to competitive form is going to take at least 3 years. If we randomly grab QB one year and then go Safety another.. what's the plan?
I know I'm in the minority but IF Garrett is gone and we can't trade back I'm all for drafting Allen and figuring it out later. If he pushes AA to the bench let it be.
Originally posted by illinois9er:
I know I'm in the minority but IF Garrett is gone and we can't trade back I'm all for drafting Allen and figuring it out later. If he pushes AA to the bench let it be.

I'm all for keeping AA and I feel he'll end up like Calias.

However, if we did take Allen and he did move AA - I feel we'd get a hell of a lot in a trade - definitely a 1st rounder.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I can see the Jets moving up to get a QB...so we'd potentially get the #6 pick and a couple of others. That'd give Lynch arguably another 2nd rounder which he might be able to use to get Garrapolo. If that were to happen, I'd love to see Shanahan get Mike Williams at #6. It'd be a huge win-win.

I'm in this camp as well. I hear the Jets are big fans of Trubisky, and I could see them thinking they still have enough of a vet core that they are a good QB away. Looking at the trade value chart, I'd try and get their 2018 1st rounder. With that, we'd basically be pushing off the addition of a franchise QB until 2018, but also guaranteeing ourselves that we'll have the ammo to go get our guy.

Would be hard going through a full year without the promise of a QB of the future, but that might be the smart move. We can then draft a guy like Williams @ 6, and a pass rusher in the 2nd round. Also all depends on what we do in FA.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
TENNESSEE SHOULD BE OUR TARGET..
2017 NFL Draft: Identifying the 49ers Perfect Trade-Down Scenario in Round 1-
The San Francisco 49ers currently own the No. 2 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. While staying put ensures the Niners land a top-five prospect, trading down gives San Francisco even more of a return.

But to get an idea on what could happen for a No. 2 pick traded off, look no further than what the Philadelphia Eagles gave up to land the Cleveland Browns pick in the 2016 draft:

Eighth overall pick (own)
77th overall pick (Round 3)
100th overall pick (Round 4)
Round 1 pick in 2017 (No. 10 overall)
Round 3 pick in 2018

Keep this in mind too — if another team falls in love with a player, who doesn't appear to fall much lower than the second pick, overpaying in draft capital might generate a nice return for San Francisco.

Teams always reach for quarterbacks.

Here's an easy scenario in which the 49ers can move down in the NFL Draft. It isn't far, but it would net San Francisco another Round 1 selection without much problem.

The Tennessee Titans own the No. 5 overall pick in the draft — the one acquired in last year's trade with the Los Angeles Rams, who used the No. 1 pick to grab quarterback Jared Goff.

The fifth pick in Round 1 is worth 1,700 points, which would make subsequent needs amount to 900 points to be made up. Yet Tennessee also has its own first-round pick, No. 16 overall, that could be used to sweeten the deal and pull the trigger.

In total, these two picks would be worth 2,700 points — just over the 2,600 assigned to the No. 2 pick.

The Titans would land a top-two prospect. San Francisco would still be in the top five and have another mid-round pick in Round 1 to add more much-needed talent.
Here are some easy selections for the Niners with these two picks:

Linebacker Reuben Foster, Alabama Quarterback Deshaun Watson, Clemson
or…
Wide receiver Mike Williams, Clemson EDGE Tim Williams, Alabama
or…
Quarterback Mitch Trubisky, North Carolina Wide receiver Corey Davis, Western Michigan

Bam. Just like that, the Niners solve two glaring positional needs, whatever they may be at the best value for each selection.

And it would be a move to allow San Francisco's next GM to make a statement about wholly investing in a complete overhaul and not doing it piecemeal.

http://ninernoise.com/2017/01/15/2017-nfl-draft-49ers-perfect-trade-scenario-round-1/
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Feb 4, 2017 at 9:15 PM ]
Tennessee would laugh their asses off at that proposal. They have their franchise QB. Why trade up a few spots to get one guy when you can grab two impact player?

It's not happening.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SheHateMe:
One thing is for certain: some team always falls in love and does something stupid for a quarterback. We might have decent trade options. Maybe Arizona?

Arizona will stay right where they're at and select either Kizer or Kaaya. Bet!!
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
If anyone trades up, it'll be for Garrett or a QB. I'm taking Garrett if he's on the board. Other then that, see below.

If Buffalo feels that they are a QB away from completing that offense, they might bite. I don't see AZ trading up when they can ride out Palmer into next years draft class and Arians is in no way building for the future. Tennessee is in perfect position to address their DB problems twice, I don't see them making moves. Jets might want to jump in front of Chicago to get a QB but the value goes down if both Trubisky and Watson are there at #2. Browns aren't trading up to take the first 2 picks overall.

All eyes on Buffalo.
Share 49ersWebzone