There are 326 users in the forums

Pierre Garcon WHY???? Draft/Offseason related

Originally posted by SofaKing:
He's a quality receiver that won't break the bank. Someone like Alshon Jeffery will probably cost $60 mil over 5 years. Garcon is more like $24 mil over 3 years.

He's also linked to Shanahan, having signed in Washington as a FA when they were there. He was drafted in Indy while Tony Dungy was there, so that may be a link to John Lynch.

That and we're completely devoid of talent at WR, so beggars can't be choosers lol. I'd welcome Garcon with open arms.

Excellent and spot on!
He's a quality receiver that won't break the bank. Someone like Alshon Jeffery will probably cost $60 mil over 5 years. Garcon is more like $24 mil over 3 years.

He's also linked to Shanahan, having signed in Washington as a FA when they were there. He was drafted in Indy while Tony Dungy was there, so that may be a link to John Lynch.

That and we're completely devoid of talent at WR, so beggars can't be choosers lol. I'd welcome Garcon with open arms.

Would you agree Kerley was our best WR last year and he was cut from another team that had 5-6 better... We've drafted WR's in the 4th round. Patton, smelter, Ellington. Those 3 guys should be fighting for a roster spot on a good team
Originally posted by gored49:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Simple. Garcon or Smelter? Garcon or Streater? Garcon or Ellington? Garcon or Burbridge?

He's a big upgrade that's experienced directly under Shanahan in the same offense we are running in SF. Plug and play signing and mentor.

You would pay him as much or more than Edelman, D. Jackson, Tate, Benjamin, Sanu and Decker? http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/wide-receiver/

Who said anyone would be paying him the same contract he got when he was 25? That makes zero sense man....
Simple, when he topped 1300 yards, who was his OC? Beyond that he's a solid WR.

Kendall Wright is the guy no one talks about, but needs to be signed.
Originally posted by strickac:
Simple, when he topped 1300 yards, who was his OC? Beyond that he's a solid WR.

Kendall Wright is the guy no one talks about, but needs to be signed.

Wright can't stay healthy, he hasn't played a full season since 2013...I'd rather sign Kerley at this deal http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jeremy-kerley-8367/market-value/

vs Wright at this deal http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/kendall-wright-9830/market-value/

their basically the same size,speed,age
He'd be a fine replacement for Torrey but if we roll with as our #1 say hello to the 32nd passing attack again.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 3, 2017 at 7:46 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Wright can't stay healthy, he hasn't played a full season since 2013...I'd rather sign Kerley at this deal http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jeremy-kerley-8367/market-value/

vs Wright at this deal http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/kendall-wright-9830/market-value/

their basically the same size,speed,age

Doubt he gets $7M/yr. He was Tenn's best WR last year, but they only used him situationally.
Really want Taylor Gabriel. If we don't get him this year, he'll come running back to Kyle next year.
[ Edited by strickac on Feb 3, 2017 at 8:00 AM ]

I am really on board with Garcon, actually I would love to see us start the season with Smith, Garcon and Kerley at wideout. That is a solid veteran receiving corp for year one of what will be a new team. They all have different skills and have the kind of knowledge that you can pass on as you start to draft kids in year two and three.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Id rather have d jack. d jack can come home to california. He has only had 2 seasons with under 1000 yards. ONe was above 900, and one one 500+. I bet his average is over 1000. Hes had a 1300 yard season, a 12oo, and an 1100, balance that out with the 5 and the 9.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Excellent and spot on!

I don't see how this is spot on. $8 million average per year is a lot for an average receiver. Say your numbers are correct then I would rather have the potential superstar for an extra $4 million a year average. Like someone said earlier, "it isn't my money." If you are going to spend big on a receiver you might as well make it count.
If we draft a qb, you're gonna want a receiver like garcon who would bail him out.
First why is this in the draft forum?

Second Garçon is a great route runner, he's worked under Kyle (which he had career numbers), he's tough as s**t (think of smaller/quicker Q)...why in the world would you not want a guy like him on our team? I'd love to have our younger WRs learn from his play.

Also what do you mean big bucks? $6 million a yr isn't big bucks man.

This. And people don't WANT to pay him big bucks, we just understand what his market is. He will get $6-8 million a year. I personally don't think that is big bucks. It's less than Torrey Smith and he has been more productive than Torrey who has 1 season of 1,000 yards and has done absolutely nothing since coming to our team. Garcon runs great routes, is very physical and can catch the ball anywhere on the field. Torrey does none of that stuff even on his best days so to get a guy like Garcon at a cheaper price than Torrey, I'd be all for that. Throw in the fact that we have a ton of money to spend and we need to add talent to a team that won 2 games this past year, it makes plenty of sense.
[ Edited by Sims19849ers on Feb 3, 2017 at 9:48 AM ]
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:

Second Garçon is a great route runner, he's worked under Kyle (which he had career numbers), he's tough as s**t (think of smaller/quicker Q)...why in the world would you not want a guy like him on our team? I'd love to have our younger WRs learn from his play.

This. And people don't WANT to pay him big bucks, we just understand what his market it. He will get $6-8 million a year. That's not big bucks. It's less than Torrey Smith and he has been FAR MORE productive than Torrey who has 1 season of 1,000 yards and has done absolutely nothing since coming to our team. Garcon runs great routes, is very physical and can catch the ball anywhere on the field. Torrey does none of that stuff even on his best days so to get a guy like Garcon at a cheaper price than Torrey, I'd be all for that. Throw in the fact that we have a ton of money to spend and we need to add talent to a team that won 2 games this past year, it makes plenty of sense.

Did you not read my stats that I posted? He has not been FAR MORE productive. In fact, he has had equal or better production. If you just mean since he has been on the Niners then that is debatable but how much of that has been Torrey on a terrible team/offense and Garcon on a playoff caliber team with a qb that is going to get $20mil this year?
Originally posted by gored49:
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:

This. And people don't WANT to pay him big bucks, we just understand what his market it. He will get $6-8 million a year. That's not big bucks. It's less than Torrey Smith and he has been FAR MORE productive than Torrey who has 1 season of 1,000 yards and has done absolutely nothing since coming to our team. Garcon runs great routes, is very physical and can catch the ball anywhere on the field. Torrey does none of that stuff even on his best days so to get a guy like Garcon at a cheaper price than Torrey, I'd be all for that. Throw in the fact that we have a ton of money to spend and we need to add talent to a team that won 2 games this past year, it makes plenty of sense.

Did you not read my stats that I posted? He has not been FAR MORE productive. In fact, he has had equal or better production. If you just mean since he has been on the Niners then that is debatable but how much of that has been Torrey on a terrible team/offense and Garcon on a playoff caliber team with a qb that is going to get $20mil this year?

How much of that is contributed to Torrey not running good routes and making himself available in other places other than 40 yards down the field? Or Torrey not being able to break tackles and pick up YAC or Torrey not being able to catch anything in traffic? Yes our team sucked, but Torrey certainly hasn't maximized his opportunities....
Share 49ersWebzone