LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Kyle shanahan will draft o-line

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
Center is absolutely a need. It's the most important position in the most important position group in Kyle's offense. Kilgore can't stay healthy, and Marcus Martin hasn't shown anything to remain positive about. Moving Beadles to center might be a solution, but that creates a hole at right guard.

Start Tiller an move Garnett to his natural LG.
Andrew Tiller is the antithesis of what an outside zone guard is lmao.
3 out of our first 5 picks on OL would be pushing it. We have so many other needs that have to be addressed. But I think we'll definitely grab one. Its important to grab the right players for this scheme. One thing to note is that historically the Shanahan's have been able to get quality players who function in this scheme in the mid to late portions of the draft. Spent high draft picks on LTs (Ryan Clady, Trent Williams) then filled in the rest of the OL with Day 2 and 3 guys.

Of the current roster, Staley, Beadles, Kilgore are good fits for outside zone. Garnett I think has just enough lateral agility to pull it off. Brown is a question mark, he has very good feet which you can see in his pass pro sets, but lugging around all that weight laterally is a different story. We'll see.

Of the draft prospects, some guys who fit off the top of my head:

Ryan Ramcyzk
Forrest Lamp
Garett Bolles
Dan Feeney
Antonio Garcia
Avery Gennesy
JJ Dielman
Erik Magnuson
[ Edited by SofaKing on Feb 2, 2017 at 1:18 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
Andrew Tiller is the antithesis of what an outside zone guard is lmao.

I agree but we're assuming Kyle is too stubborn to adjust his offense to the roster at hand...if he truly is a good OC he will make the adjustment to get the best 11 out there.
One plus is that not very many teams run a zone blocking scheme. While most teams are drafting maulers and bruisers we will be going after the more agile and undersized linemen. I remember Mike Shanahan always finding guys to plug in easily because they just didn't fit other teams schemes.
Originally posted by JBrack:
One plus is that not very many teams run a zone blocking scheme. While most teams are drafting maulers and bruisers we will be going after the more agile and undersized linemen. I remember Mike Shanahan always finding guys to plug in easily because they just didn't fit other teams schemes.

Exactly. We found gems ourselves in the 80's and 90's because of this. Guys like McIntyre, Sapolu, Deese.
Originally posted by jcs: I agree but we're assuming Kyle is too stubborn to adjust his offense to the roster at hand...if he truly is a good OC he will make the adjustment to get the best 11 out there.

No need to adjust to anything. This is step 1 of a long process. Kyle's offense is based on the outside zone. He's going to bring in OZ guys and unload whoever doesn't fit.

The good thing is that a lot of those smaller, more athletic guards can be picked up on day 3.
Originally posted by jcs:
I agree but we're assuming Kyle is too stubborn to adjust his offense to the roster at hand...if he truly is a good OC he will make the adjustment to get the best 11 out there.

I think the issue here is that the outsize zone is so core to what he does offensively, it would be more a philosophical shift than an adjustment. Tiller is a guy who will have to fight for a spot. If he doesn't fit then he doesn't fit. Shouldn't try to fit a square peg in a round hole.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Exactly. We found gems ourselves in the 80's and 90's because of this. Guys like McIntyre, Sapolu, Deese.

Yes we certainly did, Derrick Deese is probably my all time favorite Niners olinemen. Hugely underrated but a complete badass. That dude never made a mistake. I don't remember exactly but that dude went like 34 straight games without giving up a sack. Dont hold me to that number but it was incredible, I remember that.

I think Vikings Matt kalil could be one of those guys

Would be worth a shot to give him a one year prove it deal

Yes we certainly did, Derrick Deese is probably my all time favorite Niners olinemen. Hugely underrated but a complete badass. That dude never made a mistake. I don't remember exactly but that dude went like 34 straight games without giving up a sack. Dont hold me to that number but it was incredible, I remember that.

Yup, I remember he had a crazy long streak without giving up a sack. At least 2 years.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Deese was also an enforcer that wasn't afraid to knock a few heads if he felt his teammates were being targeted. We've lacked that kind of player on our Line for a while.
Originally posted by jcs:
Deese was also an enforcer that wasn't afraid to knock a few heads if he felt his teammates were being targeted. We've lacked that kind of player on our Line for a while.

Deese in a scrum, taking out two Panthers at once. Got ejected but it was worth it lol

Completely agree

One of my all time favs

In FA I loved the Gogan pick up

That was a nasty OL
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Completely agree

One of my all time favs

In FA I loved the Gogan pick up

That was a nasty OL

Yeah Gogan was a nice touch for sure. I almost forgot about that. I think Gogan I think Raiders thug, lol. He played for us one or two years?
Share 49ersWebzone