There are 181 users in the forums

Which QB would you rather take in the draft?

Which QB would you rather take in the draft?

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crew:
Sashi Brown should take Myles Garrett at #1 and then get his QB Kizer or Watson at #12.

I hope so.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Nathan Peterman outta Pitt in tha 4th round let him sit and learn... yup I'm breaking tha rules voting for someone not on tha list...

If they pass on a QB early, Peterman would be a good fit for a Shanahan offense and coming from a pro style scheme in college, the learning curve isnt as high as for most other QBs in the draft.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I am still very High on Kizer. My #1 QB in this draft. I wouldn't draft any QB at #2 this year though.

I would give the #2 for Cousins or Garropolo before i would draft a QB at #2 this year.

Yea cousins for our 2 is well worth it, he had a better season than Derek Carr, and he is proven in the NFL unlike these rookies
[ Edited by PRIMETIME21 on Jan 22, 2017 at 6:32 AM ]
Definitely NOT Kizer. His attitude, and maybe maturity just don't seem to me to be compatible with a high rd pick qb. Picking Mitch or Watson at #2 just doesn't look like a good value. One has way too thin a resume, the other , has terrific "it" factor, but accuracy plus taking all snaps out of shotgun...mmmm...just doesn't look like a good value at #1 or #2. Watson, with his running and escapability makes him very attractive. But he reminds me of my favorite Longhorn QB, 2 time Rose Bowl winnner Vince Young, (also won NCAA title) but in the pros, just didn't pan out. A bit like Kap also. All 3 excellent qB runners, 2 of the 3 had the "it" factor, and all 3 weak on accuracy . On fundamentals, Watson is probably the best of this 3 some, but Vince Young types, no matter how amazing in college...just don't seem to translate into success in NFL.

I would love Mitch, but unquestionably, he would be a lot more desirable with a thicker resume. Drafting a guy at #2 when he just has one yr experience? More than anything else, that just seems risky at #2. One good thing would be , for either Mitch or Watson, is that it is just our own #2 pick, so if either one was a bust, we wouldn't have hocked our soul to the devil for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd...the way Rams and Eagles did. That part is a big positive, in that if a FAiL, it only cost us our top (#2) pick in draft. It would still hurt, but it wouldn't be a team wrecker.

Last consideration is , perhaps it doesn't really matter " who" or which QB, if Kyle is HC. He obviously has the Bill Walsh talent of making great QBs. True you need great talent to start with, but maybe kyle does well whether Watson or Mitch. But for heaven's sakes please don't get us Kizer. If thngs aren't going well, just look at him and he is in the dumpster. Maybe immaturity, maybe not....but he is the one pick i think would hurt us. Assuming kyle ends up here (after he wins the SB), we have the advantage of him deciding whch QB he would rather have. And my guess is none of the 3 listed above. I bet he goes down the list and trades back up into rd 1 later, for mahomes. That would be my first choice. We are fortunate that our HC who chooses, is a QB developer. Huge advantage for us. A very weak likelihood of waiting to draft a QB until #75- 125, where there is avg to fair talent that kyle would be comfortable in coaching up That would require a Cousins or other current QB being traded for, however.

As for absolutley having to have a ready to go rook QB, remember back to Dak. Rd 4, supposed to sit and watch Tony all yr and ends up starting last two PS games and then finishing all 16 starts in season, winning 13. With a great QB developer for HC, it is a possibility. Granted no QB out there has Dak's resume...nor maturity level.

Hard for me to see a rookie HC, who is a top flite playcaller, pass on qb at #2. IF he did, i would be incredibly impressed if that were his decison. It also would mean he didn't see talent @ #2 that he could coach up. Huge advantage for us there.
If we had to take a qb with the 2nd pick it'd be Trubisky for me.. but I'd like the value of Deshone Kizer at 10 or so in a trade down I feel like that'd be better value.. I see Kizer as a Big Ben type with the right coaching and pieces around him..
None of these qb's will be there in the 2nd round
I think we'll pick one in the 3rd or 4th round
Trubisky will be the best fit for Shanahan's wco.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Nathan Peterman outta Pitt in tha 4th round let him sit and learn... yup I'm breaking tha rules voting for someone not on tha list...

If they pass on a QB early, Peterman would be a good fit for a Shanahan offense and coming from a pro style scheme in college, the learning curve isnt as high as for most other QBs in the draft.

Looked pretty poised when they beat Clemson needs some work but great value in the 2nd day IMO
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by Boldjames:
Patrick Mahomes😎😎😎

I realize some folks are hot on Mahomes, but for the purpose of this poll, we are just honing in on the above 3 guys because I am trying to confine the debate in the context of the No.2 overall pick.

Seems the PR is rolling hard on the Mahomes bandwagon, I think we are all supposed to let our narrative head this way.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Originally posted by jersey49er:
I like Watson best out of all 3, I just haven't seen that much of Trubisky to like him more then Watson..Plus Trubisky is a 1 yr starter while Watson has experience in huge games and moments and has done nothing but succeed and show he has the leadership skills to guide a team to victory when it means most..

This.

Watson pwned the best college defense in two straight national championship games. These are two defenses that are probably sending 10 players combined to the NFL.

I like Trubisky the best right now. But Deshaun Watson intrigues me. We must all remember that whoever is selected will have one of the better teachers in the game.

I also think Watson will put in the work to improve, so his potential in this system is actually higher. But again, as it stands right now, Mitch Trubisky is the guy.

Regardless of who is picked, I am confident in whoever they end up selecting at QB. Including if thdy bypass the position at number 2 and take Garrett if available. This is a confidence I have only because of who are presumptive coach is.
There isn't a QB in this draft worthy of a #2 pick...not just my opinion but one shared by the vast majority of NFL analysts. I don't see our new GM taking a QB in the 1st rd, unless some team jumps way up to trade for our 1st rd pick. Even then, not sure they'd take a QB. I think they'll go after either Cousins or Garrapolo, then draft a QB later in the draft to develop.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
There isn't a QB in this draft worthy of a #2 pick...not just my opinion but one shared by the vast majority of NFL analysts. I don't see our new GM taking a QB in the 1st rd, unless some team jumps way up to trade for our 1st rd pick. Even then, not sure they'd take a QB. I think they'll go after either Cousins or Garrapolo, then draft a QB later in the draft to develop.

But, that's not how it works in reality.

In reality, teams needs legit QBs to win games. Just take a look at Daniel Jeremiah and Mel Kiper's latest mocks. Both of them have Trubisky going to the 9ers at 2.
Originally posted by crew:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
Trubisky...and its not even close

Also, I wonder if the Browns GM, Sashi Brown, cared enough to get a close up of Kizer and Watson warming up and interacting with teammates before a bowl game. Hmmm..probably not

That's a little worrying seeing Sashi Brown there. May be he has already been told off by Haslam after how badly he had fxxked up this year by not taking a QB and going for that Eagles trade. Even if Haslam hadn't said anything, I am pretty darn sure Sashi Brown knows full well he will be on the hot seat big time if he doesn't resolve the QB situation this year. The RG3 experiment is over and Kessler is not the answer, I really do seriously wonder whether they will pull the trigger on a QB this time around.

Sashi Brown should take Myles Garrett at #1 and then get his QB Kizer or Watson at #12.

If we are going to draft Trubisky, we may as well just keep Thad and Blaine.

Kap would run circles around Trubisky so this would be a total down grade at the position.

Trubisky's tape reminds me of Jim Drunkenmiller.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
If we are going to draft Trubisky, we may as well just keep Thad and Blaine.

Kap would run circles around Trubisky so this would be a total down grade at the position.

Trubisky's tape reminds me of Jim Drunkenmiller.

lol I'm curious how old you are to make that comparison.

Druckenmiller was all size and arm. Terrible accuracy and no brains. How the hell are you getting that comparison?

Thing about Blaine is not his talent. He was handled very poorly at Jacksonville and they ruined him though a lot of blame goes with him because he couldn't deal with it mentally. Alex Smith was handled nearly just as bad and managed to pull it out, though he's a much lesser QB now than he would've been with proper coaching and development.

Kap should run circles around a rookie QB coming from a spread offense. If he wouldn't then it really says more about Kap. However Trubisky is wayyy more developed as a passer than Kap was as a rookie.
Share 49ersWebzone