LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 199 users in the forums

Bimbo First Mock of the Offseason

Starting to get excited for the FA and Draft periods, and wanted to throw out my first official mock offseason of the year.

Priority Team Needs:
  • QB
  • DE/OLB
  • WR
  • NT
  • ILB
  • O-Line Adjustments to fit ZBS scheme

Philosophy:
Our needs are lengthy, and will be impossible to address all in one off season. My priorities through Free Agency are to help evolve our o-line to fit the Shanahan scheme, and patch up a few glaring holes where we could use experienced, proven players. Given the current draft pool, my objective would be to enter the draft period with QB & Edge Rusher as our top remaining needs. Realistically, we are very limited in terms of QB talent that can be signed or traded for, and the best talent always comes through the draft. This is also an excellent draft class for edge rushers, so we should be able to find top talent at pick #2 (looking at you Myles), or at the top of the 2nd round.

Cut:
Kaepernick

It's time to move on. Simple as that.

Resign:
Jeremy Kerley WR
Gerald Hodges ILB
Glenn Dorsey NT
Blaine Gabbert QB

Kerley and Hodges were a few of our bright spots this year. Dorsey offers nice depth at NT, and Blaine is worth keeping on to compete for a back-up position. He seems like a good overall fit for a WCO scheme.

FA:
Brandon Williams NT Ravens
Riley Reiff OT Lions
Pierre Garcon WR Redskins
Brian Hoyer QB Bears
Jaquizz Rodgers RB Buccaneers

With the twin towers on the outside, we need an experienced nose tackle to help hold our run D together while those two develop. Williams won't come cheap, but he'll be worth it, and will help balance out the youth along our D-line. Reiff is a versatile tackle, who has experience in a zone scheme.

Garcon is the type of vet receiver you hope to surround a young quarterback with. He'd be a great locker room addition, and PFF actually ranked him the #8 WR in the league last year. He had one of his best years under Kyle, so hoping he can help sway him to come over. A WR trio of Garcon/Smith/Kerley brings us up to league average and can help bridge the gap until we can start to invest top picks at the position. Hoyer also has experience with Shanahan, and can compete with Gabbert to serve as our bridge QB.

Trade:
Trent Brown to Oakland Raiders for 2016 2nd round pick.

The Raiders need to improve at the position, and it's a weak draft class. I'd love to see Brown in a power scheme, and this would be a fair trade for both teams. He's young and cheap, and the Raiders are built to win now, so don't want to wait for a Rookie.

Draft
Projections are all over the place, to to try and be consistent, I'm defaulting to the nfldraftscout.com rankings, to help guide where guys will be available. If we approach the offseason in this manor, we'll be in good shape as we can take our choice of the top overall player (Garrett), and the top QB available, which would each fill a top need. In this case, I have us going Trubisky. Personally, I love the prospect, and part of me hopes the Browns go with Garrett so we address QB right off the bat, and don't try and get too cute with a 2nd round QB prospect.

1 (2) – Mitch Trubisky QB
2 (34) – Carl Lawson OLB/DE
2 (56) From Raiders – Jarrad Davis ILB
3 (66) – Pat Elfin C
4 (102) – Jake Butt TE
4 (139) Comp Pick – Ryan Switzer WR
5 (147) – Corey Clement RB
5 (162) – Dawuane Smoot DE/OLB
6 (188) – Chad Kelly QB
6 (206) – Josh Tupou NT
7 (224) – Freddie Stevenson FB
7 (225) – Montae Nicholson SS

I've got Lawson in the 2nd in this mock, but I also love Charles Harris if he were to fall. I feel pretty confident that there will be a top pass rusher available with this pick. The rankings predict that Davis could fall to late 2nd, but if he's gone, we could flip those picks so we draft Elfin in the 2nd, and then take Anthony Walker or Beckwith in the 3rd.

As far as the o-line is concerned, Staley and Reiff give us two serviceable tackles, and we are starting to build the interior with youth in Garnett & Elfin. I'd target a tackle at the top of the 2018 draft, who can play guard for a few years before switching over to take over for Staley once he hangs em up.
So trade Trent Brown who can help solidify our O-line for years to come because the Raiders are built to win now. Dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Originally posted by Alfienator:
So trade Trent Brown who can help solidify our O-line for years to come because the Raiders are built to win now. Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

There is a lot of people questioning if Brown has the agility needed to run Kyle shanshanahanS offense. As of right now Brown is seen as more of a power run type of tackle.. so no it's not that dumb actually.. I would however like to see him try to work his body into a tackle we could use... could you imagine Trent Browns big azz coming down the line Blowing defenders to SMTHERINES LOL
Originally posted by Zachary13White:
Originally posted by Alfienator:

There is a lot of people questioning if Brown has the agility needed to run Kyle shanshanahanS offense. As of right now Brown is seen as more of a power run type of tackle.. so no it's not that dumb actually.. I would however like to see him try to work his body into a tackle we could use... could you imagine Trent Browns big azz coming down the line Blowing defenders to SMTHERINES LOL

Who are these people questioning Brown's agility? That big guy is pretty agile.
Who are these people? Anyone with any sort of understanding of football, that's who.

Brown may be agile for a 360 lbs behemoth, but he isn't by general linemen standards. Every week Greg Cosell would highlight him as the weak link in Chip's inside zone running game. It's only going to get worse in Shanahan's stretch attack.
I'm not holding by breath on Shanahan being HC because you never know what Jed will do.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Who are these people? Anyone with any sort of understanding of football, that's who.

Brown may be agile for a 360 lbs behemoth, but he isn't by general linemen standards. Every week Greg Cosell would highlight him as the weak link in Chip's inside zone running game. It's only going to get worse in Shanahan's stretch attack.

Nailed it
Not bad but we need to do alot better than Pierre Garcon at receiver. Him and Torrey would still be trash. Also Williams will likely be tagged so Poe might be more realistic.
No chance Williams gets franchise tagged. That would cost them almost $14 million for a nose tackle lmao.
Garçon does almost nothing for our WR corps, he's on the downside of his career. We don't want 3 strictly slot guys, Switzer Ellington and Kelley.

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Not bad but we need to do alot better than Pierre Garcon at receiver. Him and Torrey would still be trash. Also Williams will likely be tagged so Poe might be more realistic.

nah ravens are strapped for cash man. good chance he hits the open market
Originally posted by tjd808185:

My guess is that Garçon won't be our #1 target, but was trying to be realistic. If you replace him for Alshon Jeffrey, then it completes the picture.

You can replace Poe for Williams in this mock for sure. And worst case I wouldn't mind rolling with Ian Williams and Dorsey then drafting a NT earlier in the draft.
So we trade a guy that Von Miller says is one of the best he's ever played for a 2nd round pick in which we would have to draft another tackle with? Browns going to be a franchise LT! Plus the raiders signed 2 tackles last year.
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
So we trade a guy that Von Miller says is one of the best he's ever played for a 2nd round pick in which we would have to draft another tackle with? Browns going to be a franchise LT! Plus the raiders signed 2 tackles last year.

Personally, I just don't see a fit for Brown in Shanahan's offense. If he can lose some weight and make it work then great. By the way, I'm recommending that they fill the hole in FA, not in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone