LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

Assuming Garrett is selected #1, what direction do you want?

Assuming Garrett is selected #1, what direction do you want?

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by ChipKelly:
Mike Williams.

We need a stud WR in Shanahans offense.

Who's throwing him the ball? WR is the most dependent position in football.

And by dependant do you mean overrated. Cause I see a lot of Andre Johnson in Mike Williams. And if he came here he might have a similar career to him also.

A career that equated to a fantasy football juggernaut, and not much else. With this pick, we need to change the direction of the franchise.

Yup. I loved Andre Johnson and thought him and Fitz were neck and neck for the best in the NFL. And with an above average QB Johnson could have been one of the best. If we don't fix our QB situation this year or next year we could have 5 Jerry Rices we ain't doing s**t.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Stealing from Niner John here, I say trade back, grab Mike Williams somewhere in the top 10 then trade back in to the 1st for Mahomes. You now have your offensive cornerstones for the next 5-10 years.

I like this a lot.

Garrett if he's there and then Plan B
And by dependant do you mean overrated. Cause I see a lot of Andre Johnson in Mike Williams. And if he came here he might have a similar career to him also.

I know they did so much winning when he was there lol. Get a damn QB then worry about WR. If we get one of the guys from GB we're set look at all those WRs they found in the draft....pretty sure none of them were 1st rd picks

QBs make WRs better
Mitch

I know they did so much winning when he was there lol. Get a damn QB then worry about WR. If we get one of the guys from GB we're set look at all those WRs they found in the draft....pretty sure none of them were 1st rd picks

QBs make WRs better

Yeah weird how places like Pittsburg, Green Bay and New England don't need a high drafted WR. It's like they have a special position that makes late round guys look good.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Stealing from Niner John here, I say trade back, grab Mike Williams somewhere in the top 10 then trade back in to the 1st for Mahomes. You now have your offensive cornerstones for the next 5-10 years.

I like this a lot.

Garrett if he's there and then Plan B

Mahomes is far from close to a NFL starter...how many successful air raid QBs are there in the NFL? Dude would need like two yrs holding the clip board. f**k that.

Get Mitch, build the OL (run the snot out of the ball), build that defense and yr two we go get a top WR and start throwing the ball a lot more.
I see a very similar draft to 2007 or 2011, which is littered with future HOF in the top 10 or 15 (Willis, AP, Joe Thomas, Marshawn, Megatron, Revis, Von Miller, Julio, AJ Green, JJ Watt, Tyron Smith, etc.) but lacks a truly elite QB (I'm still not sold on Cam), and the teams that rush to draft one, like Jamarcus or Gabbert will be left holding the bag, instead of investing into elite talents all around them. As such, I'm not crazy about the idea of drafting one of these QBs with our 2nd pick.

My big board is therefore:

- Jonathan Allen
- Malik Hooker
- Myles Garrett
- Leonard Fournette
- Reuben Foster
- Corey Davis
- Mike Williams
- Watson. Overall I have a lot of questions, but there's a lot to like there too
Yeah weird how places like Pittsburg, Green Bay and New England don't need a high drafted WR. It's like they have a special position that makes late round guys look good.

Right!

Right!

I would add the Saints in that group as well. What do they all have in common? Franchise qb's and front office/coaching stability

QBs make WRs better

100% agree with this. QB needs to be addressed first and foremost.

Originally posted by Bimbo_Coles:
Originally posted by English:
If this is doable, fine. If not, no messing around and risking missing
Take the first choice qb and have done with it.

I'm with this take. Screwing around and trying to find value in a late R1/R2 QB isn't worth it. If it's a potential franchise QB, they are worth it with a top pick. And it's tempting to say we can grab one later in the draft, but history doesn't prove that out.

Personally I'm bullish on Trubisky as I think he's got plenty of potential, and a high floor. Somewhere in the Alex Smith > Matt Ryan range, which is nothing to sneeze at. Those guys are 1st round picks, period.

Even though I'm more in the Mahomes camp than Trubisky's, I would generally agree with this take.

Absolutely!

I'm really glad to hear other people saying this, because I was starting to feel crazy (or like the only sane person in the world, which is usually a sign you're crazy).

Personally, I still haven't figured out who I like the most at QB. I need to look at more 'tape' (meaning youtube clips like everyone else). Trubisky makes me nervous... He reminds me of a drunk Brett Favre paired with Philip Rivers awkward low release shot put throwing motion. Right now I'm leaning towards Kizer, but I do like Watson more than many people on here.

Regardless.... the new staff needs to identify the guy they think has the best chance to be a franchise QB and do what it takes to get him. Every year the majority of people on this board say "QBs are better next year" and "wait to get this DII sleeper in the 6th because he's better value."

But my take on the NFL is that without a QB you have no identity as a team and no direction. You have to step up and take a swing at somebody. Trying to get a bargain or good value is just taking a punt. Letting the rest of the league's drafting strategy dictate who you end up with as the potential leader of your franchise is basically just conceding defeat. We did that last year and now we are in exactly the same position as we were last offseason (with regards to QBs).

If the new staff is truly high on Mahomes then fine, but don't get greedy and gamble on him being there later on. Identify the guy and be pro active about landing him.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Right!

I would add the Saints in that group as well. What do they all have in common? Franchise qb's and front office/coaching stability

Ehh Saints front office is dumb. They keep giving Brees more and more receivers (Thomas, Cook, Ingram) and ignore the defense and barely any o line help protection. They won a super bowl once like that by getting a lead and forcing teams to have to play catch up and got timely turnovers. Brees is good enough to make any receiver look good but his front office lets him down.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by Bimbo_Coles:
Originally posted by English:
If this is doable, fine. If not, no messing around and risking missing
Take the first choice qb and have done with it.

I'm with this take. Screwing around and trying to find value in a late R1/R2 QB isn't worth it. If it's a potential franchise QB, they are worth it with a top pick. And it's tempting to say we can grab one later in the draft, but history doesn't prove that out.

Personally I'm bullish on Trubisky as I think he's got plenty of potential, and a high floor. Somewhere in the Alex Smith > Matt Ryan range, which is nothing to sneeze at. Those guys are 1st round picks, period.

Even though I'm more in the Mahomes camp than Trubisky's, I would generally agree with this take.

Absolutely!

I'm really glad to hear other people saying this, because I was starting to feel crazy (or like the only sane person in the world, which is usually a sign you're crazy).

Personally, I still haven't figured out who I like the most at QB. I need to look at more 'tape' (meaning youtube clips like everyone else). Trubisky makes me nervous... He reminds me of a drunk Brett Favre paired with Philip Rivers awkward low release shot put throwing motion. Right now I'm leaning towards Kizer, but I do like Watson more than many people on here.

Regardless.... the new staff needs to identify the guy they think has the best chance to be a franchise QB and do what it takes to get him. Every year the majority of people on this board say "QBs are better next year" and "wait to get this DII sleeper in the 6th because he's better value."

But my take on the NFL is that without a QB you have no identity as a team and no direction. You have to step up and take a swing at somebody. Trying to get a bargain or good value is just taking a punt. Letting the rest of the league's drafting strategy dictate who you end up with as the potential leader of your franchise is basically just conceding defeat. We did that last year and now we are in exactly the same position as we were last offseason (with regards to QBs).

If the new staff is truly high on Mahomes then fine, but don't get greedy and gamble on him being there later on. Identify the guy and be pro active about landing him.

You not crazy at all. I agree with you.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Right!

Ehh Saints front office is dumb. They keep giving Brees more and more receivers (Thomas, Cook, Ingram) and ignore the defense and barely any o line help protection. They won a super bowl once like that by getting a lead and forcing teams to have to play catch up and got timely turnovers. Brees is good enough to make any receiver look good but his front office lets him down.

I don't think their front office is great but it is stable. And so is their coach and offense overall. They have tried to get o line help. I thought Cooks was a great pick but Thomas was overkill even though he's solid. They should've used that pick on the defense.

mike will go no later than 5 to tenesee
Share 49ersWebzone