LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Assuming Garrett is selected #1, what direction do you want?

Assuming Garrett is selected #1, what direction do you want?

Originally posted by ChipKelly:
Garapollo is a better 'prospect' than Mitch and has also been mentored by the best HC and QB in the history of the game. I would take him over Mitch, who a lot of people compare to Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert, anyday.

Those are truly horrible comparisons.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Patriots aren't getting a 1st for Jimmy let alone the 2 pick. 9ers should offer their 2nd rounder and a 3rd next year then tell NE to kick rocks if they want more.

I don't see it with Mitch. I'd rather have Kizer after a trade if they want to go qb.

No I agree no one is moving 1st rd picks for him...I'd throw them our 2nd and be happy with it.

As far as Mitch goes what is it you don't like from a qb skill set? Throw out the 1 yr experience stuff, what as a qb do you hate? People forget he's 22 not a 19 yr old freshman. He's been learning the qb position for 3 yrs....he wasn't running around taking jagerbombs lol he was learning the in and outs of being a QB. Go read up on him, he's a leader, he's humble, and hard working. We don't have to worry about him banging a bunch of prostitutes or having a boat party in Miami a week before a playoff game

Kizer imo doesn't fit Kyle's system at all. You need to be accurate especially with all those timing routes. Kizer was awful this yr IMHO. Wasn't accurate, horrible pocket presence, held on to he ball wayyy too long waiting for the big play, and I don't think mechanically he's sound at all (same can be said for most rookie qbs). He would be more a fit for Hue in Cleveland.

When I see Mitch I see wentz/Wilson I'll take that on a cheap 5 yr contract and build around him.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ChipKelly:
Garapollo is a better 'prospect' than Mitch and has also been mentored by the best HC and QB in the history of the game. I would take him over Mitch, who a lot of people compare to Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert, anyday.

Those are truly horrible comparisons.

Right totally making up s**t lol. I think Carson wentz is a fair comparison.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Stealing from Niner John here, I say trade back, grab Mike Williams somewhere in the top 10 then trade back in to the 1st for Mahomes. You now have your offensive cornerstones for the next 5-10 years.

If this is doable, fine. If not, no messing around and risking missing
Take the first choice qb and have done with it.

That's who I'd want, but me thinks that's who Tennessee Titans want as well
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Stealing from Niner John here, I say trade back, grab Mike Williams somewhere in the top 10 then trade back in to the 1st for Mahomes. You now have your offensive cornerstones for the next 5-10 years.

If this is doable, fine. If not, no messing around and risking missing
Take the first choice qb and have done with it.

That's who I'd want, but me thinks that's who Tennessee Titans want as well

And the reason the Titans are in the position they're in is because they have their franchise QB cornerstone. Figure that piece out first, as opposed to trying to play double-or-nothing...
Assuming we don't trade for Cousins or Garoppolo I'd go with Trubisky if they think he is the franchise QB of the future. If we trade for Cousins/Garoppolo I trade back and take Williams/Davis/Ross and then maybe pick up a 2nd we could have lost to the trade. Use that for Howard or McCaffrey possibly to get our new qb some weapons. 3rd and on go OLB, ILB, Secondary, etc to bolster the defense.
Browns set to sign LB Jamie Collins to new contract

"Regardless of the price tag, keeping Collins in-house makes sense for an organization with a surfeit of salary-cap space and precious few Pro Bowl-caliber talents on the roster. He's a more natural fit in new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams' 4-3 scheme after moonlighting at outside linebacker in Ray Horton's 3-4 system in the season's final two months."

"Williams figures to build his defense around linebackers Collins and Christian Kirksey, defensive tackle Danny Shelton and cornerback Jamar Taylor."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000776819/article/browns-set-to-sign-lb-jamie-collins-to-new-contract

So do the Browns still go for Garrett? Put him at the other end spot? Take Allen instead? QB?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Tim Williams what good is Williams/Davis without a qb? This class of full of good RBs and I don't see anything special with Foster.

I agree with you that QB is the number one priority, unfortunately this a weak QB class. Several poster have pointed out that it would be better to build up the talent on the roster before selecting a QB.

If there was another Andrew Luck in the draft, I would say draft him regardless of the roster, but there is not.

Therefore I was looking at other critical holes on the roster. WR, ILB, OLB,. I only considered RB because of the talent in this years and Hydes injury issues.
The Browns switching to a 4-3 could very well make Jonathan Allen the pick at #1.
Originally posted by Truman49:
I agree with you that QB is the number one priority, unfortunately this a weak QB class. Several poster have pointed out that it would be better to build up the talent on the roster before selecting a QB.

If there was another Andrew Luck in the draft, I would say draft him regardless of the roster, but there is not.

Therefore I was looking at other critical holes on the roster. WR, ILB, OLB,. I only considered RB because of the talent in this years and Hydes injury issues.

If you're waiting around for an Andrew Luck you might not be drafting a QB for another 5-10 years. If teams only drafted a QB when there was a "can't miss" unanimous QB prospect available, there would be 2 or 3 teams in the NFL that actually had a QB.

Browns just resigned Jamie Collins to a nice deal...they took a pass rusher in the 2nd round last year...u can say they are a terrible defense and need help everywhere and u would be right but pass rush/OLB is there strenght and they are young at that position...theres a good shot they pass on Garrett in my opinion...if they do we BETTER take him
If Kyle looks at Trubisky and sees a quarterback that he can build around and compete for a Superbowl with, I don't give a damn who is on the board when we pick.

#inKyleWeTrust
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 19, 2017 at 7:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
If Kyle looks at Trubisky and sees a quarterback that he can build around and compete for a Superbowl with, I don't give a damn who is on the board when we pick.

#inKyleWeTrust

I think Shanahan has shown enough to give him free reign on what quarterback(s) he wants to go after - no matter through trade or FA or the draft. I don't know enough about Shanahan to say I "trust" that he will make the right decisions about quarterback as much as I'd say that he has earned the privilege of choosing whoever he thinks are the best quarterbacks given that he will want to still balance out the whole team as well. I hope he chooses well.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Jan 19, 2017 at 9:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Truman49:

If there was an andrew luck the Browns would draft him anyway...If you're gonna wait around for the perfect QB to draft well good luck, it's not happening and you'd better have the #1 pick. Waiting on a qb is why we're in this position...you got to have faith in your coach to develop a QB and guess what 90% of these college qb will have to be developed.

Why is it a weak qb class cause kiper and McShay said so? We won't know it's a weak qb class until they actually play in the NFL. I think Mitch is a great fit for what Kyle wants to do. He's accurate, can run play action and bootlegs, he's not gonna turn the ball over, and can stand tall in the pocket yet is still mobile etc...he reminds me of Carson Wentz.

What good is a WR without a QB? Why can't we get a vet ILB or draft one later? I have OLB as the 2nd biggest need on this team but his is the best draft for edge rushers since 2011, there's top end talent in the top 3-4 rds imo.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 20, 2017 at 4:02 AM ]
Now that I am reading about the top prospects its tough to say. We really could use the help everywhere.

If they feel Trubisky (my personal fav) is the future - take him. Its a crap shoot, but he seems to have the highest potential. Otherwise, there are some STUD defenders i wouldn't mind at all. (Garret, Allen, Hooker etc).

I almost wonder if the Browns take Garret, then we can trade with the Bears and pick up a 2, or future 1, or the Jets, let them take the QB, and we still get a stud. As i said so many variables. At least once the draft arrives we will know what Kyle and the new GM are thinking once our pick comes and goes.
Share 49ersWebzone