LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

Justin's "Worst to Playoff Contender" Mock Offseason

Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think the Jets would have to give up more than just the 39th pick to move from 6 to 2. I would guess more like their 2nd and 3rd rd picks

According to draft pick "point" values:

#2 overall - 2,600 points

#6 overall - 1,600 points
#39 overall - 510 points

so yes, Jets would need to give up more. 2nd (510 pts) and 3rd (about 240 pts) still isn't enough

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

Mmmm...I didnt check out the draft charts. Well imagine having another pick haha. good catch!
With SF, Chicago, NYJ,Buffalo, and even Arizona in need of a QB, there is a lot of value with that 2nd pick. I would think that moving from 6 to 2 would certainly cost more that just a 2nd. Now, how much more I dont know but the Jets would be jumping the Niners and Bears to get the QB they truly covet and they would have to pay the going rate to do that.

That's assuming there's one QB the Jets covet. I don't think teams are going to have a strong preference for Trubisky, Kizer, or Watson. If you can stay at 6 and still be reasonably assured of getting one of them and possibly the one you want, why would you give up your 2nd pick? It would be a different story if there was only 1 or 2 QBs available who were on par with each other (and the QBs were more highly rated - I'm not sure any of them are worth the #2 pick in the first place).

It's more likely the 49ers try to trade the pick, but no one is interested so we either settle for whichever QB we want or take a smaller return like a 2nd round pick (still a bad trade for the Jets in my opinion).
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
With SF, Chicago, NYJ,Buffalo, and even Arizona in need of a QB, there is a lot of value with that 2nd pick. I would think that moving from 6 to 2 would certainly cost more that just a 2nd. Now, how much more I dont know but the Jets would be jumping the Niners and Bears to get the QB they truly covet and they would have to pay the going rate to do that.

That's assuming there's one QB the Jets covet. I don't think teams are going to have a strong preference for Trubisky, Kizer, or Watson. If you can stay at 6 and still be reasonably assured of getting one of them and possibly the one you want, why would you give up your 2nd pick? It would be a different story if there was only 1 or 2 QBs available who were on par with each other (and the QBs were more highly rated - I'm not sure any of them are worth the #2 pick in the first place).

It's more likely the 49ers try to trade the pick, but no one is interested so we either settle for whichever QB we want or take a smaller return like a 2nd round pick (still a bad trade for the Jets in my opinion).

If the Jets want to move to #2 you can bet its for one particular QB. Also, if they stick at 6 there is a great chance they dont get a QB considering the Browns, Niners, and Bears all need a QB badly and another team could move up in Tennessees spot at 5 to grab one. Teams ALWAYS overpay to move up for a QB.
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Originally posted by Zachary13White:
smh another one of these give up Alex Smith type value for a guy who only lasted 5 and a half quarters.

did u happen to watch those 5 quarters of play? my guess would be you didn't

I did. He did a great job but we don't have the OL to give him that kind of pocket and other teams didn't get to tailor a defense against his tendencies. You're overpaying for him if you think he's worth Alex Smith for just 5 quarters.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

If the Jets want to move to #2 you can bet its for one particular QB. Also, if they stick at 6 there is a great chance they dont get a QB considering the Browns, Niners, and Bears all need a QB badly and another team could move up in Tennessees spot at 5 to grab one. Teams ALWAYS overpay to move up for a QB.

it's been reported a handful of times by a handful of people that the Jets really covet Mitch Trubisky and that is their guy. . I dont have any link but I've definitely seen it more then a couple times...
it's been reported a handful of times by a handful of people that the Jets really covet Mitch Trubisky and that is their guy. . I dont have any link but I've definitely seen it more then a couple times...

I've seen it too, but I don't know if I believe it. There's a strong incentive for them not to release who they're interested in and teams regularly put out fake rumors (or sources make stuff up). They may not have even watched enough film to know who they like the most yet - I know they haven't gone through the process of interviewing all the QBs yet, so I have a hard time believing they know who their guy is already.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
smh another one of these give up Alex Smith type value for a guy who only lasted 5 and a half quarters.

I did. He did a great job but we don't have the OL to give him that kind of pocket and other teams didn't get to tailor a defense against his tendencies. You're overpaying for him if you think he's worth Alex Smith for just 5 quarters.

Dude, watch the dolphins film. The patriots O-line was having a hard time with the Dolphins pass rush. They were getting to Garappolo quick. Alot of the times though garappolo's quick release was able to get the ball out quick or he used his mobility to move around the pocket or get out of the pocket. Garappolo is a pretty athletic guy.

Also, with adding Zeitler and Garnett n Brown having another offseason, our O-line should look alot better.

We wouldnt be overpaying. We have seen Garappolo find success in the system that we would be running. He played without Gronk too, so IMO the weapons i set up would be an upgrade over what he played with in NE for those two games

Naw man. That OL held up against MIA. That 2nd TD was a perfect example. Bennett was his 3rd read and away from the playside. The pressure never got to him until MIA started sending 6 guys. He looked great but under a protection that we don't have yet in a system that we definitely won't have with or without McDaniels.

I'd love to have the guy for 1 2nd rounder at the very most.
No thank you! These moves make Baalke look like a genius.
  • fan49
  • Veteran

you did and it was a smart move. There is no one in the draft that we can say has stronger intangibles, or physical traits than Jimmy. ANd have facts to back it up. and no one in this draft is ready to go like jimmy.

I dont know if Barnett is worth the 6th pick though?

Id rather go Mike williams at 6. Then get an olb in the second.
[ Edited by fan49 on Jan 12, 2017 at 6:44 PM ]
Someone will definitely be willing to give up quite a bit for pick #2...I don't think nfl teams think to them selves "hmmm, who cares what qb falls to us. Any in the first round should do!"
I'm not against Wolf as our GM at all...but, Jed & Co. interview Terry McDonough tomorrow and I think they'll be very impressed with him. He's got more scouting & personnel experience than anyone else they have talked to or will talk to. Don't be surprised if he emerges as one of the top candidates. Whichever guy they hire, I think they're both winners.

McDaniels is the only HC candidate who's actually done the job. It was a rough go in Denver, but I think it was a combination of him being in over his head & having too much power. That said, I'd be totally down with Shanahan...like JM he has 9 yrs experience as an OC. I think he is ready for a HC job.

I like most of your FA acquisitions...I'd get a different DE/OLB than Ware. He's pretty banged up and with back surgery you never know. He's 35. I'd opt for Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins or Melvin Ingram. A guy I'd add is TE Jack Doyle. He's a reliable receiver, something we don't have at that position.

Like your draft a lot. Agree, Barnett should be a freakin' beast. If you look at his numbers, they're as good or better than others who played on better teams or have more notoriety. Not sure Rambo is enough add at the S position. It's not a real strong group at this point...Reid's play has declined and Tartt has yet to really explode. I'd draft a good one.

• TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by fan49:
you did and it was a smart move. There is no one in the draft that we can say has stronger intangibles, or physical traits than Jimmy. ANd have facts to back it up. and no one in this draft is ready to go like jimmy.

I dont know if Barnett is worth the 6th pick though?

Id rather go Mike williams at 6. Then get an olb in the second.

Only 1 2nd rounder. Not 2. We're already paying the vet salary on limited film instead of the rookie contract.

I agree on Barnett too. He's a 1 dimensional 4-3 DE. Great pass rusher, but can't cover like you want 3-4 OLB's to do.
The Giants won't give us the 23rd pick for the 39th pick and a comp 4th rounder. Sorry, no way.

Also, I don't think you can trade comp picks anyway.
wouldn't hate this at all, I don't see the point in going after Ware in FA....also I think you went a little overkill on NT.

HOPEFULLY Davis is there at 20 I'm getting a feeling he won't be.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'm not against Wolf as our GM at all...but, Jed & Co. interview Terry McDonough tomorrow and I think they'll be very impressed with him. He's got more scouting & personnel experience than anyone else they have talked to or will talk to. Don't be surprised if he emerges as one of the top candidates. Whichever guy they hire, I think they're both winners.

McDaniels is the only HC candidate who's actually done the job. It was a rough go in Denver, but I think it was a combination of him being in over his head & having too much power. That said, I'd be totally down with Shanahan...like JM he has 9 yrs experience as an OC. I think he is ready for a HC job.

I like most of your FA acquisitions...I'd get a different DE/OLB than Ware. He's pretty banged up and with back surgery you never know. He's 35. I'd opt for Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins or Melvin Ingram. A guy I'd add is TE Jack Doyle. He's a reliable receiver, something we don't have at that position.

Like your draft a lot. Agree, Barnett should be a freakin' beast. If you look at his numbers, they're as good or better than others who played on better teams or have more notoriety. Not sure Rambo is enough add at the S position. It's not a real strong group at this point...Reid's play has declined and Tartt has yet to really explode. I'd draft a good one.

He was part of the Jags team that drafted bust after bust along with bringing in the Blaine Train
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Honestly, i am just not a huge fan of Torrey. i swear Baalke was smoking crack during the FA period of 2015.

Also, Garappolo is a short to intermediate thrower. Not much a deep ball. Look at the patriots...they dont really have any burners because McDaniels likes to pick apart the defense on the short-intermediate throws. Torrey doesnt seem to fit the system.

Jimmy can throw the ball downfield (he's a clone of Tony Romo IMO) I mean what were the Pats doing when they had Moss
Share 49ersWebzone