LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

2017 Draft - offense, all offense ...

The reason I took Watson with the 2nd pick was due to his rising performance in the national championship game; And with this being all offense, weapons would be drafted to help him, so taking a QB at #2 with the thought of drafting weapons and protection around him - why not.

2: R1P2
QB DESHAUN WATSON
CLEMSON

34: R2P2
WR JUJU SMITH-SCHUSTER
USC

66: R3P2
C ETHAN POCIC
LSU

107: R4P2
WR COOPER KUPP
EASTERN WASHINGTON

142: R4P37
OT DAN SKIPPER
ARKANSAS

147: R5P2
RB DONNEL PUMPHREY
SAN DIEGO STATE

162: R5P17
WR RYAN SWITZER
NORTH CAROLINA

187: R6P2
G JESSAMEN DUNKER
TENNESSEE STATE

203: R6P18
FB FREDDIE STEVENSON
FLORIDA STATE

222: R7P1
TE PHARAOH BROWN
OREGON

223: R7P2
RB SHOCK LINWOOD
BAYLOR
[ Edited by 49erproudfan1980 on Jan 12, 2017 at 11:43 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erproudfan1980:
2: R1P2
QB DESHAUN WATSON
CLEMSON

Originally posted by Ensatsu:

Never surrender:

66/103 - 64% - 825 yards - 7TD passes - 1 INT; Those are his stats against Alabama in the two national championship games. The 49ers need people who are going to lead, and continue to lead in the biggest of games.
So we set records by stinking it up on defense but yet we don't address anything? Sound logic...
Originally posted by miked1978:
So we set records by stinking it up on defense but yet we don't address anything? Sound logic...

Free agency, draft next year are possible for defense; 49ers stunk it up on offense as well, so, this was one way to get one side starting to roll through the draft, and as specified, defense could start being taken care of through free agency as well as the draft next year.
[ Edited by 49erproudfan1980 on Jan 12, 2017 at 12:15 PM ]
Kupp will be long gone by the 4th
  • fan49
  • Veteran
LMAO!!! Watson at 2???? bowl game should not move him that much. I still dont see how if we threw top 3 qb's from last year in this draft. Watson and trubs would be 4 and 5 when it comes to qb's. Yet you want to get a worse qb at pick 2.... I think while raw mahomes will be better than anyone out of this draft
[ Edited by fan49 on Jan 12, 2017 at 6:26 PM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Everything else is good though lol
Originally posted by fan49:
LMAO!!! Watson at 2???? bowl game should not move him that much. I still dont see how if we threw top 3 qb's from last year in this draft. Watson and trubs would be 4 and 5 when it comes to qb's. Yet you want to get a worse qb at pick 2.... I think while raw mahomes will be better than anyone out of this draft

I gave the reasons why I went with him at #2, also due to no trades; That also was due to his performances in two national championship games against Alabama. I put up the stats for another user.

With it being soley offensive minded, and trying to build weapons and protection around him, he very well can be that high of a pick.

I have seen him go that high on mock drafts:

"A wise man once said, "Our most significant opportunities will be found in times of greatest difficulty." Add to that any number of quotes on overcoming adversity, and you will describe Deshaun Watson's (and the entire Clemson team's) tribulations versus Alabama, and the entire season in general for the Tigers".

I have taken Mahomes in other drafts, not at No.2 though, but this one was soley offensive with no trades; You think Mahomes will be better, but a lot of Watson rated above Mahomes.
[ Edited by 49erproudfan1980 on Jan 12, 2017 at 9:15 PM ]
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Kupp will be long gone by the 4th

You could take Ryan Switzer in his position if he's gone, and than take a guy like Kenny Golladay in the 5th if he's available.

• bors
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:

Free agency, draft next year are possible for defense; 49ers stunk it up on offense as well, so, this was one way to get one side starting to roll through the draft, and as specified, defense could start being taken care of through free agency as well as the draft next year.

I like this approach. Fa we go all in defense

B Williams. Nt. Brown. Ilb. Ingram. Olb. Nick perry lb.
Originally posted by bors:
I like this approach. Fa we go all in defense

B Williams. Nt. Brown. Ilb. Ingram. Olb. Nick perry lb.

Initially I did it for just fun, but than you think about it, and you are targeting specific groups to bolster them to tighten them for better competition.

So, a guy like Watson would excel more if you are focusing on building pieces around him; He has more help, he has more protection, which means he has more of a chance to be the QB he could.

I think there has been many times when people draft a QB, but they don't have the adequate protection or weapons around him to help him succeed; Football is a team game, they need each other to compete and thus possibly win.
  • fan49
  • Veteran

I gave the reasons why I went with him at #2, also due to no trades; That also was due to his performances in two national championship games against Alabama. I put up the stats for another user.

With it being soley offensive minded, and trying to build weapons and protection around him, he very well can be that high of a pick.

I have seen him go that high on mock drafts:

"A wise man once said, "Our most significant opportunities will be found in times of greatest difficulty." Add to that any number of quotes on overcoming adversity, and you will describe Deshaun Watson's (and the entire Clemson team's) tribulations versus Alabama, and the entire season in general for the Tigers".

I have taken Mahomes in other drafts, not at No.2 though, but this one was soley offensive with no trades; You think Mahomes will be better, but a lot of Watson rated above Mahomes.

because mahomes is raw. these 2 qb's just dont do it for me at 2. One looks like kaep 2.0, one has 1 year of experience. none can make an impact now. and who are they going to learn from? Hoyer? Kaep?
because mahomes is raw. these 2 qb's just dont do it for me at 2. One looks like kaep 2.0, one has 1 year of experience. none can make an impact now. and who are they going to learn from? Hoyer? Kaep?

They could bring in Hoyer so the QB could take a year or two to learn the system from watching; They could also learn from the coaching staff; You put the right system and coaching staff in place, that will be a great help in them learning.

Like the Patriots; Jacoby Brissett came in, as a rookie, for a little, and came up with stats like 34/55, 400 yards; He had no TD's, but also no INT.

Saying none can make an impact now is just an opinion; Not alot thought Dak Prescott was going to come in and do what he did - but he did it; But Prescott has a system, weapons, and protection in place to help him succeed along with his God given abilities.

That's why I mentioned what I did about taking Watson along with a draft of offensive weapons and protection.
  • fan49
  • Veteran

They could bring in Hoyer so the QB could take a year or two to learn the system from watching; They could also learn from the coaching staff; You put the right system and coaching staff in place, that will be a great help in them learning.

Like the Patriots; Jacoby Brissett came in, as a rookie, for a little, and came up with stats like 34/55, 400 yards; He had no TD's, but also no INT.

Saying none can make an impact now is just an opinion; Not alot thought Dak Prescott was going to come in and do what he did - but he did it; But Prescott has a system, weapons, and protection in place to help him succeed along with his God given abilities.

That's why I mentioned what I did about taking Watson along with a draft of offensive weapons and protection.

can't be done better than how Jimmy G was taught and groomed
Share 49ersWebzone