Jerod Evans - QB - VT

• TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/jerod-evans/

6'3" 230+lbs
Decent speed for a dual threat
Passing 29 TD - 8 INT - 153.1 QBR - 63.5 comp pct
Rushing 12 TD - 846 yds - 4.1 ypc

Very limited film but he looks like a better developmental project than Mahomes.

Pros
- Accurate all over the field. Can drop the ball in deep over a corner.
- Gets the ball out on time. Sometimes, throws receivers open and hit them in small windows
- Did throw the ball with anticipation.
- Effortless footwork and did a decent job throwing w/o set feet (under pressure, rollouts, etc.)
- Takes good care of the ball but not too overly conservative
- Started in his only year at VT. Picked up the VT offense quickly

Cons
- While his deep ball his very accurate, he sometimes puts too much air on it. He leads the WR well but better DBs will close that gap with the ball in the air so long. Giving the benefit of the doubt that he threw those knowing there was no safety in the area to cut it off
- As stated before, only the BC film is out so it's a very limited scouting report. The numbers and that film aren't something to ignore.
- Torn ACL in 2013. Seemed to recover from it this year.
Would have been a nice fit if Chip Kelly was still here. And no I dont think he's a better prospect than Mahomes.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Would have been a nice fit if Chip Kelly was still here. And no I dont think he's a better prospect than Mahomes.

I watched Mahomes struggle against Zone vs. ASU. You weren't getting the ball unless you were wide open. Gets away with a lot because of his physical ability. How well can he do in 2/3 WR sets?

Evans has better fundamentals than Mahomes.
If we get McDaniel's as coach this kid would be a perfect developmental prospect for the 49ers. I also would like to get his teammate Bucky Hodges at TE to pair with Vance McDonald in that offense
[ Edited by tohara3 on Jan 12, 2017 at 3:48 PM ]
Was very surprised he declared, he had a very nice 1st season for Va Tech, Juco transfer who is still raw, but impressive..my question is to who knows more about him is where does he go..?

6 ft 3 235 lbs

• Jcool
  • Veteran
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/187703-jerod-evans-qb-vt/
My fault guys..didn't see it..
Count me as a fan. I have him listed as the 4th best QB prospect and a 2nd rounder.

I don't think he is comparable to Mahomes.

If I had to compare him to someone, I'd say a poor man's Cam Newton.
I would not be disappointed with him as the second QB picked in 5th round or later in a double down situation in the draft. He has the physical tools, but will need some coaching up.
Its starting to look like Mahomes will be drafted before the 2nd round.

Which means, I think Jerod Evans might be the guy I'm cheering for us drafting.

I know a lot of people will look at Evans and consider him a runner and therefore not WCO material.

But I see a guy that has a great internal clock, who goes through his read very quickly and lets the ball go. He has great arm strength, tough, good ball placement. He does a really good job of putting the ball somewhere for the WR to make a play on it.

I need more of his games posted though! lol

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Its starting to look like Mahomes will be drafted before the 2nd round.

Which means, I think Jerod Evans might be the guy I'm cheering for us drafting.

I know a lot of people will look at Evans and consider him a runner and therefore not WCO material.

But I see a guy that has a great internal clock, who goes through his read very quickly and lets the ball go. He has great arm strength, tough, good ball placement. He does a really good job of putting the ball somewhere for the WR to make a play on it.

I need more of his games posted though! lol

Same here bro. Trying to figure out why he isn't getting any attention.
Looks pretty good. But I have no idea of who Kyle wants. I think we're gonna get a qb for sure in this draft, whether its 1st round or a mid round pick.
My two favorite None first or second round QB are Nathan Peterman and Jerod Evans. I think they both have a chance to be a Good QB. If a team want to over draft one or both of them? O Well. I really like Christian Ponder his year but not at pick 12. I'm not the greatest at picking QBs. For those that can remember Rick Mirer. I thought that Rick Mirer was A sure thing hall of fame QB and want the 49 to draft him so badly. Second coming of Joe strait out of Notre Dame. Me and A hole bunch of other people where wrong.
As long as he doesn't throw fades vs aj bouye lol

Was a big Mahomes fan but it's starting to look like he will go in the first round...prob even more so after the combine
[ Edited by Boldjames on Feb 13, 2017 at 9:08 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone