LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Our biggest need in the 1st

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Do you think Watson / Trubisky is as good as Dak Prescott, and can give us the same results or even better once we bring in more talent?

Our oline isn't bad, we have Hyde and a couple of # 2 WRs. I think (on offense) we're 1 star WR, 1 solid back up for Hyde and a Center away from being real competitive on offense. We need a QB tho.

Also, now that you're a ghost, is that the reason why you're more savvy on offense now (good ideas)

Mitch looks like he can be but it's hard to tell with one year experience. Watson has things to work on but he has huge potential to end up a solid NFL qb. I was screaming at the tv when we took DBs over Dak or Cook in the third.

I'd heavily target Garçon. He's a powerful receiver that can help bail out a rookie qb and will fight for the ball and get you yards after the catch. 100 percent agree on the rb backup and center. Plus some more time for brown and Garnett to develop. Should have us on the right path.

Yea maybe savvy now or still incompetent . We'll see.

Garcon. Torrey. Kerley (maybe). A stud WR in draft (maybe). Mike Williams would be sweet, but there are others who look pretty good. Then there's the rest (on the roster / camp fodder) TBD when HC and GM get here.

This time around, unlike the Tomsula / Kelly hires, I'm feeling a bit more positive and confident that we'll be more competitive this season. We have solid pieces already and most of them just need to be coached up properly, imo. HOWEVER, all this joking about Cable as HC better not come to fruition

Ghost up JeRaag... make them see the light
The Niners need to trade down...to get at least 3 more good players. One guy at #2 isn't going to make that much of an impact...3-4 players will. I don't understand why so many are stuck on who they're going to pick at #2. We need a LOT of good players...trading down is how you get them.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
The Niners need to trade down...to get at least 3 more good players. One guy at #2 isn't going to make that much of an impact...3-4 players will. I don't understand why so many are stuck on who they're going to pick at #2. We need a LOT of good players...trading down is how you get them.

True that. The one thing I liked about Baalke was his wheeling n dealing on draft day... we can still do it tho.

But what if we're more aggressive this time around in free agency (new GM / HC)?
I think it's important to win in FA. You sign a solid DL, then tht gives you the flexibility to trade down and get a guy like Rueben Foster instead of staying at #2 and getting Jonathan Allen. Draft players that you can't go out and sign. ILB pool is weak for FA due to the best guys most likely getting resigned so drafting the best one out there should be the plan. People are saying to draft Fortunette but why do that when we have Hyde? Not that he's a bad pick but we don't have that luxury in a rebuild to have 2 RBs like that.
I didn't know safety was a need but if Jamaal Adams out of LSU is the guy.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

True that. The one thing I liked about Baalke was his wheeling n dealing on draft day... we can still do it tho.

But what if we're more aggressive this time around in free agency (new GM / HC)?

Agreed, we need to go get guys like Brandon Williams, Nick Perry and Kevin Zietler. Wanted the Niners to draft all 3 of them and. Now all their teams might now be able to afford them due to cap space. As bad as we were this year, we're in a special place where we have a top 3 pick and a ton of money. If only the draft class had those "ill mortgage our future for your pick" type players. Foster is what the Niners need. Start with the heart of the defense, your ILB. Bobby Wagner, Luke Kuechly, CJ Mosley..all game changers for their team at their position and it shows when they arnt in. Get Bowman some one to help him wreak havoc.
[ Edited by martysofresh on Jan 14, 2017 at 1:42 AM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by martysofresh:
I think it's important to win in FA. You sign a solid DL, then tht gives you the flexibility to trade down and get a guy like Rueben Foster instead of staying at #2 and getting Jonathan Allen. Draft players that you can't go out and sign. ILB pool is weak for FA due to the best guys most likely getting resigned so drafting the best one out there should be the plan. People are saying to draft Fortunette but why do that when we have Hyde? Not that he's a bad pick but we don't have that luxury in a rebuild to have 2 RBs like that.
I didn't know safety was a need but if Jamaal Adams out of LSU is the guy.

Yup, I like it. One NT in FA and acquire depth / competition later in draft and/or another one with good price/value in FA. They should all pan out (keepers) after training camp and preseason.

Our line ups weren't great, but we do have solid guys on both sides of the ball, but just not enough... the depth (drop off from starters to back ups) was pretty weak tho. We need solid depth / guys to fill in for breathers (who we won't miss a beat with) when they rotate. We can be better than average with a solid draft and (at least) 3 impact players in free agency (NT, WR oline or LB).
[ Edited by LVJay on Jan 14, 2017 at 8:15 AM ]
Originally posted by captainhook:
Originally posted by PGENZ:
I hope the Niners trade back for QB desperate team. I realize it's a huge need for us as well but they may be able to get Watson, Kizer, or Mahhomes in the 2nd round.

We are one of those QB desperate teams. No team is going to bet the farm unless there is a legitimate FQB prospect. If that's the case, we should draft him ourselves.

A team may move up for Allen. If Myles goes #1 I am also in favor of moving back.
Trade down and take a wr or best pass rusher left. No qb at 2
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
IMO, our biggest need is for an impact-difference maker player at #2 or our first pick if we trade down.

There isn't a QB here that, IMO, is an impact player.

So, that leaves Edge rusher, WR at the top of list.

Followed very closely by ILB.

Our first 3 picks should be the highest rated Rusher, ILB and WR at each spot which ever order.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 16_to_80:
I definitely agree.Bowman went down in the Dallas game and Elliot went off on us and so did the rest of the league.No Ian Williams hurt a lot too and no one could seem to stay healthy. I disliked the schemes and play calling as well. Between Mangini and Oneil we got too cute and burned on D.Think getting a great DC ,OLB and NT is a top priority. If we address that and everyone comes back healthy we'll be in much better shape.

Im not super worried about the secondary. Its tough for any CB to cover when you have no pass rush. At ILB you hope Bowman is back along with Ray Ray and a draft pick or FA. Wilhoites time is up. If Bowman cant play at a high level, ILB becomes a higher priority the following year.

On the DL you have Buckner and a hopefully healthy Armstead at DE. You have Dial, Dorsey and Blair for depth. Need at least 2 NTs.

At OLB you have Lynch and Harold. Badly need a top pass rusher there. Myles Garrett would be an ourstanding fit.

I think with an NT like Brandon Williams+high quality edge rusher+a top notch DC this can be a much improved defense just with those moves.

Lynch and Harold don't equal 1/2 of a average OLB...They need to go

• Lifer
  • Veteran
The team's biggest need is QB. No Question. After that, it's edge rusher. And after that, it's WR and LB.

The trouble is the way the draft shakes out. There are no QB's worth the #2 pick. Period. Myles Garrett would be a slam dunk for this team, but there's a 90% probability that he'll be gone at #2. And the second best player in this draft, Allen, is a position we've already invested heavily in.

So what to do? A trade down might be difficult since there's no QB that anyone wants to trade up for. But if you can find a team that desperately wants Jonathan Allen, then trade back to the middle of the 1st and take the best available EDGE, WR, or LB.

If you can't trade the #2, you might be able to shop Arik Armstead. This would allow us to use the #2 pick on the second best player in the draft. And a D-line built around Buckner and Allen would dominate (you can address NT in FA). We could use the extra draft capital acquired in the Armstead trade to work a deal for Garoppolo, or simply amass more talent with extra picks.
Originally posted by TOtheGreat:
Trade down and take a wr or best pass rusher left. No qb at 2

We could move back and take Foster or Barnett
I'm all for taking BPA in the first but the reality is that we need a franchise QB. It's the most important position on the field and a great QB can compensate for a lack of talent elsewhere. Until the QB position is resolved with a player that we can figure will be the guy for a decade plus we will continue to spin our wheels regardless of how many blue chips we have at other positions.
Gonna say Center or Cornerback or Safety if there's one available.
Originally posted by midrdan:
I'm all for taking BPA in the first but the reality is that we need a franchise QB. It's the most important position on the field and a great QB can compensate for a lack of talent elsewhere. Until the QB position is resolved with a player that we can figure will be the guy for a decade plus we will continue to spin our wheels regardless of how many blue chips we have at other positions.

Isnt that the Browns philosophy? Draft a franchise QB and ignore the O-Line that will cause our " franchise quarterback" to get hurt and/or stunt his development? Because Franchise QBs can protect themselves, right? Russell Wilson may be the exception to that rule. We're rebuilding so let's just do it right. Rushing a rebuild results in setbacks. A great QB can compensate for lack of talent elsewhere, this is true. But how many rookie QBs come in and are great? Some come in barely being average. You can hope for a Wentz or Goff like talent to build around. But you could easily end up with a Gabbert or a Manziel. When your D and O-line is above average, you can get a QB in the mid rounds, cowboys for example. We just have too many holes right now.
Share 49ersWebzone