LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Geek's January 2017 Plan (No Jimmy Garoppolo Trade)

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Geek...a lot to chew on. Starting with a clean slate for a new GM & HC gives a lot of reasons to pause and consider what direction they'll go, there are so many they could take. I like a lot of your off-season plan.

I don't think Jed can go wrong hiring Wolf...but, I feel the same way about Riddick. I think it'll come down to the two of 'em.

I see no reason not to be excited about McDaniels. He screwed up his tenure in Denver, but he was in over his head & they gave him too much power.

McCoy would be a great addition for the reasons you stated.

I like Vrable...but it might be hard to pry him away from Houston.

As for the trades, I thought you couldn't trade comp picks. I don't know that the Packers would trade Janis for Mike Davis. It'd be cool if they did, but that doesn't seem like a trade they'd make.

I'm not really into Hoyer...would much rather see them get Landry Jones. I like your other FA's, especially Logan. He's a vet who can provide some stopping power and leadership for youngsters AA and Buckner. With McDaniels as our HC, not sure he'd change to the 4-3, coming from a modified 3-4 defense.

Love Corey Davis...think he'll be an immediate contributor. I like Mahomes...yeah he played in a spread offense at Texas Tech. However, he's a terrific QB and athlete, a guy I think could play in any offense. Other draft standouts are Engram, McNichols & Switzer. Happy to see you haven't neglected the TE position as so many mocks I've seen have.

Overall, I think you've hit on a high number of things crucial to turning our team around, good job, man.

Thanks for the kind words. After watching today's game, I just realized how valuable Janis is for GB and their special teams unit. Nix that trade, and let Burbridge take that spot instead.

Hoyer can actually put together some solid games. He's a bit like Matt Moore - 3-4 game starter QB, but primarily a backup. Plus, the market is pretty slim pickings unless you want to give up draft capital or overpay for a guy like Glennon.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
I like all of the coaching hires, and the GM hire quite a bit.

Not in agreement with trading Torrey Smith.

Hate the trade back with Jets, and taking Davis. Left me scratching my head.

Agree, give Torrey Smith a QB and see how he can make a difference.

Also trading RB Davis is laughable, no team would trade for Davis, he is expendable

I also think a trade down is laughable at this point. There is no player worthy of four picks to trade up to obtain.

Like your thoughts, just too optimistic

You might think that, but desperate teams will trade up. We saw that with PHI and STL last year.

The Jets and Bears are prime trade up targets for a QB because both their HC and GM are on the hot seat after bad seasons with poor QB play. Good teams take advantage of other team's state of desperation and irrationality in draft day choices.

With a fresh start at GM and HC, the 49ers don't need to worry about that yet. Plus, there may be a 2nd-3rd round guy that we think is a better fit and better value. We found in Kaepernick initially, the Raiders found it with Derek Carr, and Prescott with the Cowboys.
Wow Geek. This is an amazing plan. Great work.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Key assumptions -

We most likely won't find our QB of the future in this draft

They will if the Browns pass on Trubisky (which they probably won't). Mitch has it all.
Originally posted by bkbkeahi:
mahomes is the dak prescott of this draft. i would switch bucky hodges for evan engram

I agree.
Cannot trade comp picks that you have packaged for the 3rd round pick with Torrey.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Mahomes.
Trade for Mike Davis? Funniest thing I've seen in any mock
[ Edited by lamontb on Jan 9, 2017 at 7:15 AM ]
Originally posted by Dakes44:
Cannot trade comp picks that you have packaged for the 3rd round pick with Torrey.

The rules changed on that this year.
Like this mock a lot and think the trades and signings are realistic (love the JC Tretter addition). Only complaint would be using such a high pick on Corey Davis who I don't think is a Julio Jones/AJ Green type of receiver. I don't think he's better than Mike Williams either, but that pick is pretty high for either of them.

• Shifty
  • Veteran
I'm nit picking but the Jets don't have a 4th round pick this year
Love the Evan Engram pick. But I like Ricky Seals Jones in the 4th
Share 49ersWebzone