LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Geek's January 2017 Plan (No Jimmy Garoppolo Trade)

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Key assumptions -

We most likely won't find our QB of the future in this draft, but we get a vet and promising prospects for our scheme.

A rebuild won't be in 1 year, so there will be weak spots in the roster that will be addressed over time.

We do not trade for Jimmy G. We could target him for FA next off-season or go all-in for a draft prospect in 2018.

--

GM: Eliot Wolf - Dr. of Football Ops - Packers | Not sure if Thompson is going anywhere, but I think he finally sets off to make his own path and get out of his father's shadow.

HC: Josh McDaniels | Pros and cons to McDaniels, but he brings a new perspective to our offense.
OC: Mike McCoy | Worked with McDaniels in DEN, and former HC experience provides value to the franchise.
DC: Mike Vrabel | We wanted him before, and now we'll get him with McDaniels.

--

Player Trades -

49ers trade Torrey Smith and 4th (comp) round pick for Bucs 3rd round pick. Good fit and value for both teams.

49ers trade 6th (via DEN) round pick for Demario Davis - ILB - Browns. Converting to a 4-3 means Davis is most likely out. Similar to the Hodges trade.

49ers trade Mike Davis - RB for Packers Jeff Janis - WR. Packers need RB depth and we need WR depth.

Key Player Resigning -

Kerley - WR; Hodges - ILB; Dorsey - NT; Tiller - OG (RFA)

Key Player Releases -

Bethea - S; Brooks - DE/LB

Key Free Agency Additions -

Bennie Logan - NT - Eagles | Pricey but not as expensive as Poe/Williams. Good locker room guy.

Michael Floyd - WR - Pats | McDaniels connection. He wants a fair shot as a playmaker, and won't break the bank.

John Simon - DE/OLB - Texans | Vrabel connection, Simon is a good rotational player.

J.C. Tretter - C - Packers | One of the better centers, Tretter replaces Kilgore as the starting guy.

Brian Hoyer - QB - Bears | Vet backup and mentor to a rookie.

NFL Draft - Browns select Myles Garrett - DE/OLB - Texas A&M

49ers trade 1st for Jets 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 2018 2nd round pick. Jets move up to select Trubisky - QB, leapfrogging the Chicago Bears.

R1: Corey Davis - WR - Western Michigan (via NYJ) | Blue chip prospect that instantly improves our receiving unit. Replaces Smith as our #1 receiver.

R2: Patrick Mahomes - QB - Texas Tech | I think he'd be an ideal fit for McDaniels scheme. Great arm, good motion, but lacks the experience in a pro-style system with advanced reads.

R2: Charles Harris - DE/OLB - Missouri (via NYJ) | One of the better tier 2 pass rushers in the draft. I like the Mizz program with their defenders a lot.

R3: Evan Engram - TE/WR - Ole Miss | With the additional prospects in the draft, there's a good chance Engram drops in the draft. Immediately competes for the starting spot in the draft, and can play some slot.

R3: Marquez White - CB - Florida St (via TB) | With Ward and D. Johnson moving to FS, we need some additional depth at the corner spot. White is a talented outside corner that competes with Brock for a starting spot.

R4: Jeremy McNichols - RB - Boise St | A lot of good running talent in this draft, McNichols would be a nice scheme fit for the passing and running games.

R4: Ryan Switzer - WR - UNC (via NYJ) | Slot receiver that competes with Kerley for playing time.

R5: Ejuan Price - DE/LB - Pitt | 2nd round production in a UDFA body, Price is an ultra productive pass rusher with serious questions if he can dominate in the NFL.

R5: Riley Bullough - ILB - Michigan St (via WAS) | 2 down ILB with ST skills, he'd go up against Armstrong and Skov for the final roster spot.

R6: Joshua Dobbs - QB - Tennessee | Developmental backup QB.

R7: Justin Davis - RB - USC (via CLE) | 3rd stringer that will contribute on ST.

R7: Jacob Hollister - TE/FB - Wyoming | Swing player at TE and FB that competes with the likes of Celek and Draughn.

Depth Chart -

QB: Mahomes*/Hoyer*/Dobbs*
RB: Hyde/McNichols*/Davis*
FB: Hollister*
TE: Engram*/McDonald/Celek

WR: Davis*/Janis*
WR: Floyd*/Smelter
WR: Kerley/Switzer*

LT: Staley
LG: Garnett/Beadles
C: Tretter*/Kilgore
RG: Tiller
RT: Brown/Theus

LE: Armstead/Blair/Jones
NT: Logan*/Dorsey
RE: Buckner/Dial

OLB: Lynch/Simon*
ILB: Bowman/Hodges
ILB: Davis*/Armstrong (Bullough PS*)
OLB: Harris*/Harold/Price*

CB: Robinson/Reaser
CB: Redmond/Iworah
FS: Ward/Johnson
SS: Reid/Tartt
CB: Brock/White*

ST: Dawson, Pinion, Nelson
[ Edited by GEEK on Jan 8, 2017 at 1:50 PM ]
I don't see how mahomes is a fit for McDainels at all to be honest...turbisky would make much more sense.

Don't see player for player trades happening to be honest.

Don't want hoyer just get the qb and develop him. Overall I wouldn't be upset at all but I think whomever is coming in is gonna get us a qb.

Overall wouldn't hate got some good players in there.
I like adding Floyd and Hoyer. . but that's also C. Harris will be a first rounder
Why not Tyrod Taylor? And no thanks to Mahomes in the second. He's a late 3rd round/4th round developmentanal guy that'll need to sit for a few years.

Also I highly doubt Engram falls to the third. He's a late first round 2 round guy at worst.
[ Edited by shmuck on Jan 8, 2017 at 2:37 PM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Down with this
Nice mock off-season
This would be AWESOME.

Very good coaching staff. Good mix of players who fit the systems, as well as bringing guys who had prior experience with the coaching staff.
Hoyer
mahomes is the dak prescott of this draft. i would switch bucky hodges for evan engram
Nice work Geek.

Love the new front office and coaching staff.

Definitely like how you address the pass rush, WR position and QB position. Unless Trubisky really impresses during the draft process, the Niners should go for a better value pick in the second round with Mahomes or whomever drops out of the first. Niners should be able to find 2 keepers out of Simon, Harris and Price for the pass rush. Risky move by signing Floyd, but like the rest of the acquisitions.

Geek...a lot to chew on. Starting with a clean slate for a new GM & HC gives a lot of reasons to pause and consider what direction they'll go, there are so many they could take. I like a lot of your off-season plan.

I don't think Jed can go wrong hiring Wolf...but, I feel the same way about Riddick. I think it'll come down to the two of 'em.

I see no reason not to be excited about McDaniels. He screwed up his tenure in Denver, but he was in over his head & they gave him too much power.

McCoy would be a great addition for the reasons you stated.

I like Vrable...but it might be hard to pry him away from Houston.

As for the trades, I thought you couldn't trade comp picks. I don't know that the Packers would trade Janis for Mike Davis. It'd be cool if they did, but that doesn't seem like a trade they'd make.

I'm not really into Hoyer...would much rather see them get Landry Jones. I like your other FA's, especially Logan. He's a vet who can provide some stopping power and leadership for youngsters AA and Buckner. With McDaniels as our HC, not sure he'd change to the 4-3, coming from a modified 3-4 defense.

Love Corey Davis...think he'll be an immediate contributor. I like Mahomes...yeah he played in a spread offense at Texas Tech. However, he's a terrific QB and athlete, a guy I think could play in any offense. Other draft standouts are Engram, McNichols & Switzer. Happy to see you haven't neglected the TE position as so many mocks I've seen have.

Overall, I think you've hit on a high number of things crucial to turning our team around, good job, man.
I don't see Josh McDaniels leaving New England to play with anyone other than his own hand-picked GM, which we can infer is Louis Riddick. They're close friends, and both of them come from the Belichick tree.
I like all of the coaching hires, and the GM hire quite a bit.

Not in agreement with trading Torrey Smith.

Hate the trade back with Jets, and taking Davis. Left me scratching my head.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
I like all of the coaching hires, and the GM hire quite a bit.

Not in agreement with trading Torrey Smith.

Hate the trade back with Jets, and taking Davis. Left me scratching my head.

Agree, give Torrey Smith a QB and see how he can make a difference.

Also trading RB Davis is laughable, no team would trade for Davis, he is expendable

I also think a trade down is laughable at this point. There is no player worthy of four picks to trade up to obtain.

Like your thoughts, just too optimistic
I can't read on these mocks anymore if Brock is not part of the cut lists. I can't stand another year watching him get beat over and over.

Also I believe Trubisky is a better option then any other QB in this class.
Share 49ersWebzone