There are 169 users in the forums

O.J. Howard TE Alabama

Not a big fan, reminds me of Vernon with the ball in his hands. Def isn't the playmaker gronk or jimmy graham are.

rather have Evan engram, even though EE isn't nearly the blocker Oj is.
Originally posted by Since07:
Unless Thomas can play as a OLB I don't want to take another DL in the 1st. I'm optimistic for AA, DB, and Dial. This draft may have a lot of good looking TEs but only a couple are top tier I don't care to draft a TE in general but would be open to drafting Howard specifically because of his skill set DL on the other hand has talent up and down the whole draft and are a dime a dozen.

Dial hasnt shown that he is anything more than a rotational nose tackle at best and Armstead has essentially the same role as Buckner who is a better player.

Thomas is a vastly different DL than either of them and a far better prospect than Armstead. You don't pass up on that because you hope that Armstead will suddenly turn into an impact player.

If he does, great, outstanding depth at DL never hurts and now you have a nice draft asset. If he turns out to be another Baalke bust, well, youre already doing okay with Buckner and Thomas who complement each other far better.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 9, 2017 at 3:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Since07:
Unless Thomas can play as a OLB I don't want to take another DL in the 1st. I'm optimistic for AA, DB, and Dial. This draft may have a lot of good looking TEs but only a couple are top tier I don't care to draft a TE in general but would be open to drafting Howard specifically because of his skill set DL on the other hand has talent up and down the whole draft and are a dime a dozen.

Dial hasnt shown that he is anything more than a rotational nose tackle at best and Armstead has essentially the same role as Buckner who is a better player.

Thomas is a vastly different DL than either of them and a far better prospect than Armstead. You don't pass up on that because you hope that Armstead will suddenly turn into an impact player.

If he does, great, outstanding depth at DL never hurts and now you have a nice draft asset. If he turns out to be another Baalke bust, well, youre already doing okay with Buckner and Thomas who complement each other far better.

AA hasn't even played a down in the new system and people are already writing him off.

I really hope the 49ers either trade down or draft someone that fills an immediate need. Thomas is a luxury pick in my opinion.

I like Thomas, I like him a lot. I just can't see the fit at DE when we already have AA/DB.

Now if the coaches are sold on him playing Elephant, we draft him.
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kush:
Not a big fan, reminds me of Vernon with the ball in his hands. Def isn't the playmaker gronk or jimmy graham are.

rather have Evan engram, even though EE isn't nearly the blocker Oj is.

What?

He wasn't used properly as Alabama as he could have easy taken on a heavier load, but he is a way better playmaker prospect than either of them coming out of college.

He can legit be our #1 option. I'd rather have him over Mike Williams or Corey Davis. He is a nightmare matchup with incredible speed.
[ Edited by Kuya on Apr 9, 2017 at 6:56 PM ]
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
AA hasn't even played a down in the new system and people are already writing him off.

I really hope the 49ers either trade down or draft someone that fills an immediate need. Thomas is a luxury pick in my opinion.

I like Thomas, I like him a lot. I just can't see the fit at DE when we already have AA/DB.

Now if the coaches are sold on him playing Elephant, we draft him.

It's not writing him off...it's looking at his production in college/NFL to date. I haven't seen much have you? Just because a former GM over drafted a player doesn't mean we have to pass on a talented player that would be a major upgrade. IMO it's harder to find good interior pass rushers that can also stuff the run VS an edge rusher.

There's really no sense bringing up if he can or can't play the elephant role (full time)...there isn't a player worthy of picking at two outside of Myles for that role anyway. We have no stars on this team, not one single pro-bowler last yr. We need help everywhere, it's not even close to a "luxury pick"... it's simply drafting the best player available cause that's what we need at the beginning of this rebuild. good solid SAFE picks.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
If the Niners make a "surprise" top 10 pick -- I think this is the guy.
Originally posted by okdkid:
If the Niners make a "surprise" top 10 pick -- I think this is the guy.

If a trade down happens, but this would be a pleasant surprise lol. I thought that O.J. would fall out of the first due to questions to why he wasn't more productive at Bama, but he is the most physically imposing TE since VD (hopefully won't turn soft after a Kam hit) and I constantly heard he wasn't used enough in the system.
Unless Shanny adds a new wrinkle to his offense...I don't see us drafting a TE high, I'd be all for it doe and using a two-TE sets with Vance. Can move around both guys in motion. Maybe split out Vance to the slot and use him as a wideout more one on one VS a LB/SS. Then you still have OJ working the underneath with Juice,Garçon, Goodwin taking the top off; intriguing. But ATL waited to take a TE last year until the 3rd round, Hooper.
Share 49ersWebzone