LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 433 users in the forums

v.2 Mock Offseason w/ GM, HC, and FA's

I see another 2-14 season with this roster.

Appreciate the effort, but not in love with this mock. Not sure I could stomach a McDaniels regime either. He is like a mash up of Kelly and Lane Kiffen.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
Not bad but I would use the 2nd round pick on a qb with better skills and upside and use the 4th on a center

I could live with this option if you gonna dig he bottom of the barrel for Hoyer. You need to get somebody who at least has potential to start in within the year.

I just don't see it with anybody in this class. I'd much rather go into next year's draft with a lot of ammo where you have (if all declare) Rosen, Darnold, Browning, Jackson, Falk, Mason Rudolph, etc. (not to mention draft risers)
Hoyer as our QB1? really?
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

People act like Hoyer is terrible but he was putting up perfectly fine numbers for Chicago before he was injured. I see no issue with him as a bridge QB for a year or two. My preference is that the 49ers draft a QB this year and start developing them but if you're going to pass on a QB early, this is probably one of the most favorable scenarios to do it.

The 49ers won't be good next season no matter, if you can acquire a 1st rounder from a team that is likely to suck, you put yourself in tremendous position to make some noise in the draft next year. Not in love with most of the QB prospects in 2018 either but Darnold looks legit if he were to come out, if nothing more it gives this team further options.
I love most of it...I don't see McDaniels coming here without an actual qb to work with (draft for JG or draft one high). This fan base with overract soooo hard if he doesn't come in day one and win, and it's not gonna happen with hoyer.

We still running a 3-4 with Vrabel? Don't see the point in getting Burkhead and Harris? This draft is stocked with good RBs I'd like more of a COP back that can run routes for McDaniels to work with.

Hankins is a 4-3 NT plus getting Williams and Dorsey?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
QB situation is still not fixed in anyway with Hoyer, Webb and Ponder. If the 49ers miss on a QB in the 1st the new coach would still want one in the 2nd, I don't doubt that one bit.

Not that I'd ever want to do anything resembling the Browns, but Hue Jackson went in there last year and was fine with accumulating picks, getting a veteran stop-gap qb, and drafting a mid-round qb, with possible intentions of drafting a 1st or 2nd overall qb in the next year's draft with said picks.

I understand that, it looks good on paper, but I guarantee you there will be an angry mob if a QB isn't drafted at least in round 2.

I will say this though, you did fix the QB situation a little by getting rid of Kap.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

People act like Hoyer is terrible but he was putting up perfectly fine numbers for Chicago before he was injured. I see no issue with him as a bridge QB for a year or two. My preference is that the 49ers draft a QB this year and start developing them but if you're going to pass on a QB early, this is probably one of the most favorable scenarios to do it.

The 49ers won't be good next season no matter, if you can acquire a 1st rounder from a team that is likely to suck, you put yourself in tremendous position to make some noise in the draft next year. Not in love with most of the QB prospects in 2018 either but Darnold looks legit if he were to come out, if nothing more it gives this team further options.

Nobody is in love with any of the draft classes in any year except for on those rare years where the one random surefire guy bubbles up to the top. That is the nature of the QB position....if your going to sit around until the one magic guy comes along and you just happen to be able to get to him you will be sitting a really, really long time. Nobody liked last year...two guys are starting and playing at a high level, nobody like the year before or the year before that...but seemingly always one or two rise to the top. On those rare years people get all excited....guess what...only one or two pan out and sometimes it ain't Mr. Surefire. That is how it goes, that is why you have to try every single year until you hit on a guy , the days of the epic multi-QB draft class are long, long dead and they are not coming back unless the college game starts going away from just shoving the best athlete on the team back there and having him run the option to win now rather than bring a kid up to be a complete player.
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
Not bad but I would use the 2nd round pick on a qb with better skills and upside and use the 4th on a center

I could live with this option if you gonna dig he bottom of the barrel for Hoyer. You need to get somebody who at least has potential to start in within the year.

I just don't see it with anybody in this class. I'd much rather go into next year's draft with a lot of ammo where you have (if all declare) Rosen, Darnold, Browning, Jackson, Falk, Mason Rudolph, etc. (not to mention draft risers)

By next year half of those guys will have a bad season you wont like them either...and you will find flaws in the game of some of the others and it will all look every bit as thin as this year and the last and the one before that.
No QB help still.

Can I ask why we keep thinking we will re-sign Williams? Have we heard anything to date that he will actually play again and be effective?

Honestly, I would rather have Mike Williams and/or Reuben Foster in the 1st round (or both). To do this, trade out of 2 back to 7 or 8. Use the pick you got from there to either trade to New England for Garropollo or move back up in the 1st round and take Foster. Then use that 2nd rd pick in 2017 (basically a 1st rounder) to do either of the items I mentioned before. Get Garropollo or Foster. Solves 2 huge need areas. Pick up some depth on o-line and edge in rounds 2-5.

You can bet if Riddick becomes our GM and McDaniels our HC, they'll make a deal for Garrapolo. I wouldn't even do another mock 'til those two key positions are filled.
This is a really good mock, but I would just want a little more at quarterback. Everything else looks great.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I really wouldn't be upset with this, it addresses a lot of key areas and it provides a second 1st round pick for next year to be able to address QB. You cover WR with Davis who I feel is going to be exceptional, you get an OLB in McKinley that I think is pretty underrated, an outstanding interior lineman in Elflein, Tomlinson is a great addition for DL depth, Webb as a true developmental QB, even if I think he is a longshot, Hunt at RB................all in all its a draft that provides a lot of value and fills a lot of needs.

Not too crazy about the signing of Hankins, bringing in a guy from a 4-3 when Brandon Williams who I see as a better overall player, coming straight out of a 3-4 defense will be available.

EDIT-Also McDonald and Armstrong have both been re-upped already.
I think he has Davis going to the Browns
Honestly QB is the only position you didn't upgrade..maybe trade up into the 2nd for Mahomes and grab an O-Lineman instead of Webb in the 4th and this mock would be excellent but i love what the defense would look like if it went down like this..having the Browns 1st next year will be a top 7 pick along with a top 15 from us would be amazing..id also rather Williams then Hankins..
I like the idea of acquiring multiple pics for next season. Not very high on the players at the top of the draft this year. I feel the middle of the first and 2nd rd are very strong. Would love to have the pics if you need to trade up or flip them for a jg. Also you resign Harris to cut him?
[ Edited by Izyniner on Jan 4, 2017 at 6:11 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone